To All Ye Present...

Greetings from Seattle. My name is Bill. I'm 46, father of two boys, and am currently reliving my boyhood with them, hopefully not through them. Turning a profit and having fun at the same time?... I'm intrigued. I just bought some stock in 9676 so I'm looking forward to see how they perform in the next 10-15years.

Hello Bill, welcome to the forum.

9676 will in my opinion not be the best of performers.

I'm not sure if you should look at LEGO investment in a 10-15 year range if you want to make profit out of LEGO

1)Most of the profit on items are made in 1-3 years after they are End Of Life. After that, it will of course still rise but there will be other more profitable opportunities.

2)You don't know if in 10-15 years, there will still be such a demand of LEGO.

3)LEGO takes up space and space should be used in order of profit (1)

4)LEGO secondary market is getting saturated more and more.

And a good tip. Don't buy everything that is marked off xx%. Some LEGO is extremely hard to sell afterwards for a small margin. Take time to read this forum. There is not much said about "buy this set now" but you'll see that when you follow conversations here, you'll find out the good opportunities.

Succes and enjoy!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Greetings from Seattle. My name is Bill. I'm 46, father of two boys, and am currently reliving my boyhood with them, hopefully not through them. Turning a profit and having fun at the same time?... I'm intrigued. I just bought some stock in 9676 so I'm looking forward to see how they perform in the next 10-15years.

Hi there Bill and welcome!

I have to agree with Neosphinx that this might not be the best set for such a long term plan. It should make you money short to mid term, but I don't believe in large continuous growth for such a long time. Then again, it's really not a big set, you could very well just stash it away and play wait and see.

In general if yu want to partake in the investing game, I would really stick to big exclusives. It's not an original strategy by a long shot, but it is working out none the less. There are almost no LEGO collectors who want to get every set but rather those who focus on a particular type. SW UCS being one of them. Modular buildings another one.

And be careful with small sets. Even those with decent growth usually have a bad effort to profit ratio.

There's definitely more to investing than just buying big exclusives, but this is what I would recommend to any beginner. Low risk, good profit, comparatively little effort.

In general if you want to partake in the investing game, I would really stick to big exclusives. It's not an original strategy by a long shot, but it is working out none the less. 

There's definitely more to investing than just buying big exclusives, but this is what I would recommend to any beginner. Low risk, good profit, comparatively little effort.

The only real bubble risk is with the large exclusives.

These large expensive sets are increasing quickly post EOL because of unnatural reasons - they are mostly being purchased by other investors.

For the time being, they are the best bet - but long term (especially for those who chase sets post EOL), they carry a lot of risk.

• Like 1