Be careful when using gift cards online at TRU

mlncs

Not sure if anyone has had this problem before, but I tried to purchase two Elsa Snow Glow at tru.com with a gift card back in November, and used a gift card. when i checked out, the website took me right back to the Cart page, and no order number was ever generated. To my horror, the exact amount of purchase has been deducted from the gift card. Called customer service and the CSR verified my claim when she looked up the gift card info because there was no transaction attached to the debit. A complaint was opened. Three calls later, they were still "working" on it. Filed a dispute with Better Business Bereau on Dec 7, Toys R Us ignored it and never answered whatsoever.

This is the second time TrU did me very wrong. i bought four sets on ebay tru in pairs. They only sent one of each instead two of each, and did not want to budge, stating tracking showed delivered. Unfortunately, I used Tru mastercard, which I had to fight tooth and nail, and a couple of months later, they finally gave me the credit, and the manager told me that this is like a gift for you, because your purchase is your problem. The way I proved it was that the shipping weight as found on UPS.com was a lot less than what it should have been.

I am ending my association with tru, and will not buy from them again. I am going to cancel my credit card as well. I refuse to give them another dollar. My advice to you is be really careful when dealing with them, especially when using gift cards, there is a flaw in their system, best not use it on hot items that may have a chance of going out of stock online (SGe was super hot when I bought them, they might have gone out of stock while I was purchasing)

If you have any advice or other horror stories about trU, would love to hear them. Cheers.

Edited by mlncs

That stinks. I actually was already careful using GC at TRU and in general. There is that extra layer of protection from a CC.

Wow, I guess I feel lucky.  I had 2 orders of two sets show up at my door 2 weeks ago and there was only 1 set in each. I called up customer service and they expedited me the sets in 2 days.

I had this happen before. Had to email several times then finally call. They could not put the money back on the GC so they said they would just give me "store credit". Well these were just TRU Rewards vouchers, and when I tried to order online they would cancel out any other promos and would only let me use 1 at a time. I only use TRU GC in store.

i had them debit the amount of my orders 3 times promising after each time it shouldn't happen again. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three times, shame on them until they give an $10 credit. i no longer use gc at tru.com any i get i take to store and buy amazon gc  

Edited by blueriderbrick

I am ending my association with tru, and will not buy from them again. I am going to cancel my credit card as well. I refuse to give them another dollar.

Good for you.  I recently came to the same conclusion.  I spent $42,520.49 from TRU online in 2014.  Never returned one item, even in cases of mis-shipment or damaged during shipment, fortunately it didn't happen enough to be a huge problem.  But I did have to write off a couple hundred for sure.  I refuse to do business with TRU because their tax exemption department repeatedly ignored my faxes.  That's $3,403.65 that by law, I am eligible to receive back.  Then out of nowhere a couple weeks ago, TRU started cancelling all of my orders.  Meanwhile they let the dropshipping savages roam free? OK.

TRU is in for a rude awakening.  People aren't gonna put up with their **** forever.  Anyone who I've talked to about trying to get a refund from TRU has hit a brick wall.  TRU will continue to lose market share because of their shitty customer service.  It's gonna take a lot of time though.  When I lay in bed at night, I dream of taking down TRU's business. 

this happened to me and it took a month and four calls to get my credit back - each subsequent person had no idea why was going on despite the prior person claiming they were entering a note on the system - it really is rediculous for a company of their size to have so many problems with their system of operation

this happened to me and it took a month and four calls to get my credit back - each subsequent person had no idea why was going on despite the prior person claiming they were entering a note on the system - it really is rediculous for a company of their size to have so many problems with their system of operation

TRU system of operation is messed up from the top to the bottom. I have had experiences where the manager at my local store didn't know about a sale that was going on and they refused to acknowledge it. I never bought from TRU since, and I never will for the rest of my life.

One day, TRU will fall because of their horrible system of operations and management.Hopefully, that day is soon.

I haven't used gift cards, but I'm just curious if the others who only got half of their order was during the 50% off black friday deals. I ordered 2 Galaxy Squad Mechs & 2 Titans, got 1 of each.

I figured I could be screwed because the shipping label was the correct weight of 4 sets (but actually weighed half), and the packing slip said 2 of each, so all paper trails led to me getting all 4.

Of course, the box it came in couldn't have fit all 4, but over the phone, they put in a replacement order for the missing 2 so it worked out ok for me.