Are you getting a lot of (0) feedback buyers this season?

shootyb

In the past three weeks, I have sold sets to nine different buyers where this is their first transaction.  On average, these have been around $200/transaction.  Not one has left feedback yet.  I have been adding signature confirmation for anything over $100.

Is this just par for the course for the holiday season?  I am bracing myself for some sort of return frenzy (I offer 14 day returns) with boxes of rocks being sent back to me.

I am bracing myself for some sort of return frenzy (I offer 14 day returns) with boxes of rocks being sent back to me.

I wouldn't worry about getting a box of rocks sent back to you (they are way too heavy to ship) - it is much more likely to be an empty poly bag.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

I had one of these. It has been mentioned that this may be the guest checkout option at play, eBay just randomly assigns a user name to these people.

That makes sense; I wasn't aware of that. The usernames are really bizarre. Like just a string of consonants with a period in the middle.

None, anyone less than 5 feedbacks are forbidden to bid on my auctions.

They're not, at least not by eBay. You can manually cancel their bids as they come in, but should one sneak through at the last moment, eBay will issue you a defect if you cancel the transaction after the auction ends. Too many defects, no more eBay selling account.

And, for those who are using the far more lucrative method of fixed price instead of auction, there is no bid cancellation or accepted cancellation for the non-supported requirement of 0-4 feedback.

In being penny "wise" in protecting yourself from the supposed increase in risk of zero feedback buyers (a risk that I have not personally seen in 17 years of selling on eBay), you are perhaps being pound foolish by leaving money on the table by running auctions versus fixed price listings.

I would not recommend fooling around in an eBay gray area that's more likely to lead to trouble than avoid it. I also wouldn't recommend auctions over fixed price listings except in very specific cases (a very rare and very desirable item that will surely attract a lot of buyers, or a very flavor-of-the-month very rare item -- new style iPad, hottest toy this Christmas that's out of stock everywhere, etc.)

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

Last year I used BIN at a high price with manual best offer. I then simply let the offers from zero feedback buyers expire. Then again, buyers have to start somewhere but, it does ring alarm bells when their first purchase is an expensive one.

Am I the only one thinking that there's many more corrupt buyers than sellers?

Last year I used BIN at a high price with manual best offer. I then simply let the offers from zero feedback buyers expire. Then again, buyers have to start somewhere but, it does ring alarm bells when their first purchase is an expensive one.

Am I the only one thinking that there's many more corrupt buyers than sellers?

I think it depends on which hat you wear more often. ;) If you mostly sell, you'll see more scammy or irritating buyers. If you mostly buy, reverse that to bad sellers.

When I buy new stuff on eBay I rarely have a problem with my sellers. I've been buying used Lego lately, tho, and that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish -- and some of those fish smell really bad!