Have you ever had a shop make a mistake in your favour/favor?

Guest TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm aware that a lot of us have received battered boxes, missing parts or nothing at all.  But... Has anyone ever got lucky and been positively blown away by what was sent to them?

I ordered 5x 60014 Coast Guard Patrols from Amazon France and they sent me 5x 10226 Sopwith Camels instead!  I don't want to complain as the British hate complaining but, the guy that ordered the Sopwith Camels might have done.  I received the order a couple of months ago and only opened the sealed shipping box just now to organise my stock.  This just never happens to me so I'll probably get run over by a bus tomorrow.

I'm aware that a lot of us have received battered boxes, missing parts or nothing at all.  But... Has anyone ever got lucky and been positively blown away by what was sent to them?

I ordered 5x 60014 Coast Guard Patrols from Amazon France and they sent me 5x 10226 Sopwith Camels instead!  I don't want to complain as the British hate complaining but, the guy that ordered the Sopwith Camels might have done.  I received the order a couple of months ago and only opened the sealed shipping box just now to organise my stock.  This just never happens to me so I'll probably get run over by a bus tomorrow.

Let's see if after 3 years you will still be happy. When the Coast Guard Patrols beat your Sopwiths investment wise.

• Like 1

Let's see if after 3 years you will still be happy. When the Coast Guard Patrols beat your Sopwiths investment wise.

My morals aren't for sale.  I will still feel the same in three years.

And no doubt the Shopwith will beat the Coast Guard patrols...way to completely miss the point.  

To Stephen's point, I have had retailers do the same for me as well. 

Edited by pickleboy
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Thanks guys, this has been bothering me a lot tonight. I've emailed Amazon and asked them to charge me the difference as long as it's not an inflated RRP on the 5x10226. Failing that, I've offered to return the 5x 10226 if they send me a prepaid mailing label and a full refund of my original order - let's see what happens. I did return a Hornby train set once to Argos many years ago when I was sent 2 instead of 1 at a time when I wasn't so well off. All I was sent after calling them was a mailing label with not even a "Thank You" or a voucher in return.

BTW... The 60014s were

Edited by TabbyBoy

Lego LEGO Shop at Home sent me the free Chima set with order last year.  I sent it back.

All kidding aside, the only time I can remember getting something I didn't order was receiving a large box to our prior residence.  Girl that bought our house called us an said we had a huge box at her place in our name.  Open it up and find a framed world map print that retailed for about $200 from allposters.com or some place like that.  Called them up to get return postage for it because we didn't want it and they said to simply keep it as it wasn't worth the hassle to them.  Stupid thing is still sitting on the floor in our basement as I really don't want it. 

I ordered a Simpson's House from Amazon. It got lost in transit, so Amazon shipped a replacement. But the CS rep who put in the replacement shipment must have entered it wrong and put it in as a return and replace. When I got the email from Amaxon saying I'd be charged for the 2nd set if they didn't receive my return in 30 days, I contacted them again and the CS rep said it would be fixed. Later I checked my order status page and it was now marked as "return received." I figured it was all settled.

But when I got my credit card statement it showed a refund from Amazon for the price of the set and there were no other charges for it. I contacted them again and tried to tell them I owed them for the cost of the set, but at this point they couldn't tell what happened and everything looked like it was accounted for on their end. I tried to pay, but ended up with a free Simpson's House.

• Like 1

On my first purchase from.Lego store I bought the vw van and some series 12 figures. The shipment went out and got stuck some were along the way. I contacted FedEx and Lego and they said they would send another package out to me and have the original sent back to Lego. I got the 2nd package the next day and to my surprise I got the original package the day after. I called Lego and they said to keep both packages due to all the Hassel I went through.:)

Pickle's attitude and approach- I hope- is one that captures the spirit of this board as a whole, and for those that disagree they will learn from it.

Outside of Lego investing, life will teach you this: you get back what you give. Call it God, Karma, or whatever you prefer- it's essentially the same.

And even those "evil, greedy, faceless" Corporations are employing good folks like we are all here. Fair is fair... right is right... wrong is wrong.

Pickle, thank you for an outstanding post that should be a mantra for the BP community, and I will quote you here directly:

"I treat retailers the same way that I hope my customers would treat me".

Ethical practices, in life, business, and the rest of it, always reap the highest ROI in the long-term.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

I've just had a reply from Amazon (in French) so I asked one of my colleagues at CDG airport to call on my behalf.  The good news is that I'm allowed to keep the "wrong shipment" without penalty and they apologised.  I suppose there may not have been a big difference in wholesale price and also it saves to/from postage for swapping two large parcels.

Another instance was when I ordered 5x 42000 (Technic Racer) from SaH and I was sent 5x 4200 (Mining 4x4) instead.  When I called LEGO CS, they shipped out the correct items immediately and told me to keep the other sets which I donated to a local school.

Mistakes happen and it's good to see that honesty is the best policy even though some retailers aren't quite as forthcoming when dealing with THEIR errors.

BTW... The bus stopped to let me cross the road this morning!

I ordered some nice Logitech computer speakers for my brother-in-law one time as a gift. Didn't realize that the 1-click ordering address was set for an old college apartment address until the next couple days when tracking popped in email. I tried to contact the shipping company to reroute the package and they said no can do so I called Amazon to tell them to talk to the shipping company. Rep said to not even sweat it and went ahead and delivered a new set free to the right address. So not in my favor, but somebody at my old apartment got a really nice set of speakers for Christmas that year!

Some of you might remember this famous screw up at Lego LEGO Shop at Home

During one of there sales, I recall it being in the Spring, back when Lego actually discounted sets. Lego had the Millennium Falcon (10179) and the dropship among others for 25% off. I ordered 1-10179 and 2-10195's (dropships) to my Canadian address. Instead of giving 25% off Lego only charged 25% of the price. They realized there mistake yet honored it. This extra sale went on for hours before they realized. I received my Millennium Falcon for $150 and my dropships for $75 each! This is how I got my 10179 and it is still sealed along with one of my dropships.

When I was a teenager, many years ago, I went to buy a 6077 for what I thought was $79.99.

They charged me $9.99, this was the days when the checkout person had to enter the price manually, no bar codes to scan.

I said that was wrong, and they said thanks and charged me $99.99!!!! The label had been dodgily printed and the 9 looked like a 7.

Even though I had done the right thing it effectively cost me 20 bucks!!!

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=6077-2

Lego LEGO Shop at Home sent me the free Chima set with order last year. I sent it back.

All kidding aside, the only time I can remember getting something I didn't order was receiving a large box to our prior residence. Girl that bought our house called us an said we had a huge box at her place in our name. Open it up and find a framed world map print that retailed for about $200 from allposters.com or some place like that. Called them up to get return postage for it because we didn't want it and they said to simply keep it as it wasn't worth the hassle to them. Stupid thing is still sitting on the floor in our basement as I really don't want it.

I'll trade you a fire cycle for that print.

A few years ago I had ordered 2x Diagon Alleys but TLG shipped just one. I called to let them know of the short-ship. When I received the replacement shipping there were 2 again... easy enough mistake, I called & paid for the third set - all they said was thank-you.

I had also once ordered 2 of their yellow silicon ice cube trays (for chocolate moulds), they shipped 12 - I called to let them know & they said to keep them at no charge (cool!)

I had also once called TLG to let them know that the cargo train set I purchased didn't have all the manuals included (missing 3), I called & they shipped the entire manual set free of charge (in 2 days delivery!)... unfortunately when I was cleaning up the desk I found the missing 3 manuals under the box, I called to see if I could reimburse them & they said it was too much trouble to do that in the system & to keep them.

always some good & bad I guess...

I had ordered  a couple of the red5 xwings  from the Lego.com site shipping to a US receiver address (as I had other stuff shipped to for several years) only to have them cancelled due to their new policy not to ship to 3rd party addresses - down side was that I used several VIP points in the purchase, when the order got cancelled the vip points were never returned, when I called to inquire they some how manager to screw up the VIP account & it's never worked right since (for some reason there's never a +ve balance) oh well - now I know there's always better deals elsewhere than LEGO Shop at Home anyway.

Some of you might remember this famous screw up at Lego LEGO Shop at Home

During one of there sales, I recall it being in the Spring, back when Lego actually discounted sets. Lego had the Millennium Falcon (10179) and the dropship among others for 25% off. I ordered 1-10179 and 2-10195's (dropships) to my Canadian address. Instead of giving 25% off Lego only charged 25% of the price. They realized there mistake yet honored it. This extra sale went on for hours before they realized. I received my Millennium Falcon for $150 and my dropships for $75 each! This is how I got my 10179 and it is still sealed along with one of my dropships.

Now that is some serious ROI