Speculate which recently retiring set will be the first to hit 5x RRP?

51 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

3x RRP makes more sense now in the new era as you'll still double your investment after fees and tax.

I think 1x RRP in 1 year after EOL makes more sense now, and 2x RRP after 3 years. For example Pet Shop, several months after EOL is buyable for RRP. Nonsens. The key for good investment is to buy with big discount and sell for RRP or little above...

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

How about a real set reaching 5x RRP, I mean something in a box with proper seals? All these tiny sets are just pocket money snd time consuming TBH.

No, I can't think of one either! Was Mars Rover (a PROPER exclusive) the last one do do this?

3x RRP makes more sense now in the new era as you'll still double your investment after fees and tax.

small sets matter and are quite proper to include.  selling something through fulfilled by amazon , these smaller sets sold on a much larger volume basis offer much greater profit, little profit risk if a few go missing, and can usually be picked up at 30% discount before any magic, which means it takes hardly anytime after EOL before you are doubling your money.  the hard part becomes how to source enough sets without getting banned by a retailer but if you can do that, super easy money.  just look at whichever little pink box is slated to retire next and load up - currently its Ariel's Dolphin Carriage.  this can be had now for $11.99-12.99.  it will sell for $36+ within a year of EOL.  multiply that by 200 and you don't pay much attention to the bubble speculation threads anymore.  and the best part is you load up a few large boxes ship them in and then sit back and count the money while amazon takes cares of the fulfillment.  also small sets like these go under the scammer's radars so that becomes a non-issue.   for whatever reason, these little sets also seem to get ignored by the hoarding crew and the higher demand because of lower price point combined with a modest seller count is favorable.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

How about a real set reaching 5x RRP, I mean something in a box with proper seals? All these tiny sets are just pocket money snd time consuming TBH.

Storing and worrying about the big sets take as much time and gave me more grey hair than any smaller set.  

I am sure you knew it too, otherwise why bother keeping those architecture sets instead of liquidating them with the rest of your inventory??? ;)

Guest TabbyBoy
On 24/04/2017 at 4:18 PM, Darth_Raichu said:

Storing and worrying about the big sets take as much time and gave me more grey hair than any smaller set.  

I am sure you knew it too, otherwise why bother keeping those architecture sets instead of liquidating them with the rest of your inventory??? ;)

This is how the US and UK markets differ. In the UK, it's nearly impossible to get the huge discounts on small sets in quantity that you guys get. I avoid selling on Amazon like the plague (I got burned badly in 2012) so I have to pack and post myself unless I flip quickly as a job lot locally. I agree with you on big sets as the biggest ones need to be stored the longest and are more likely to to be bought by hacked eBay accounts when the time comes to sell. I've kept most of my Architecture sets as I have an endless free supply of the perfect sized double-walled box and they are the cheapest to post (Royal Mail small parcel 2nd class signed for). They've also been good performers recently and my buy-in for all has averaged about 40% off per set. To be honest, ALL sets gave me more grey hair in 2016 than at any other time which is why I've changed strategy.

6 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Minifigs don´t count, freebies neither as per OP.

At a push, Mixels would qualify.

I'm wondering if BrickHeadz would qualify soon as they're beautifully hideous sets if/when they die off later this year.

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Hmmm...I'll have to check.  I have a ton of Bionicle that I filed under "Forget about these for a while."

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Bionicle has been a great money maker for me.  I should have bought more of the hard to find ones at full price.

1 hour ago, zskid00 said:

Bionicle has been a great money maker for me.  I should have bought more of the hard to find ones at full price.

Then supply would have been higher and sales price lower, though.

The winners from last year were so because the horde seemed to overlook them, despite all the retiring soon tags.

• Like 1