eBay buyer claims child bought item and won't pay

Andreww

Hi, I just recently got into lego collecting and I had an extra christmas advent calendar to sell, so I sold it on eBay but the buyer claims that his child bid on the item and won't pay for it. The thing is that he has a lot of positive ratings on his profile but what irks me is that he is selling like 20 advent calendars himself. Do you think the buyer was trying to push me out and wanted others to purchase his items instead?

I heard of the unpaid item dispute, but if the buyer does eventually pay to avoid the strike, I fear that he might leave a negative rating because he was forced to pay. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks guys.

I've had this a couple of times before myself (minus them selling the same item), I eventually got annoyed with it after I had a couple of buyers tell me that they wanted it price matched (after purchasing) or I didn't realise I had to pay for it, I thought I could change my mind.

Anyway, long story short, I think that you can either raise a dispute and go with what happens, or just cancel the transaction. Personally, I would cancel the transaction and claim back your fees, you don't want to be raking up the neg feedback early on.

• Like 1

Here's a crazy thought. Maybe his child did accidentally buy it? It's not the end of the world and definitely not reason to block someone. If you block every idiot on ebay you won't have any people to buy your stuff, and yes idiots complete millions of legitimate transactions every day on ebay. The likely scenario is that his kiddo got a hold of his phone or computer and was on his ebay account which probably was displaying similar items to the one he had for sale. I few careless clicks and boom the item was bought. Highly doubt it's a conspiracy, I don't think someone who has 20 calendars is worried about someone selling 1.

Yeah, it does happen from time to time, but make sure you do block the buyer like dcdfan said.

Yes and especially because the kid can check "bought items" (or ebay will do, as ads), so there are chances that he does the same again later.

If you block every idiot on ebay you won't have any people to buy your stuff

I thought this way some time ago but now I'm tired of people who give me only problems.

There are more chances that the buyer will have more problems instead of having a real sell. Note that every ebay buyer do not buy legos. Maybe it's just a kid who want some legos his parents don't want to offer him. It will not change after that. So I would better block him (after the problem is solved) because he may only bring me more problems later.

Edited by biniou

I just had to cancel a transaction on multiple RR polys last week. The two things that bothered me at the time is one the buyer did not respond to my communication. So I was stuck holding them as the price dropped. I had to open a case in order to cancel the transaction and two they were selling multiples of the same item. This is a seller with over 2,500 feedback at 100%.

I didn't block the buyer instead i made a lowball offer on a nice retired set they had listed and they accepted.

• Like 1

It`s sad people do things like this, as others have said there is little you can do except cancel and try and sell to another buyer. I had a similar situation a couple weeks back with a buyer on Bricklink, won`t get into it too much but needless to say his order was cancelled/refunded by me and he went ahead and left a neutral feedback anyway. I`m pretty ticked, at the least he should have left no feedback going on principal, my point is handle it as best you can and hope for the best, if you`re polite about it, all should be well, at least that`s the theory. 

The main problem is eBay's defect system creates a hostile environment between buyer and seller, where a seller will no longer risk sending to a buyer who may of asked to many questions ( especially silly ones ), has left very dubious feedback in the past or maybe even a 0 feedback international buyer who may not understand the system, and hence gets blocked because he can severely damage a sellers account without even knowing he's doing it. This especially hurts low volume sellers who will most likely loose TRS status and their discount or even worse get several defects, hit the 5% defect allowance and get suspended/banned from eBay. Bring on Alibaba!!

Edited by Yellowtot

Here's a crazy thought. Maybe his child did accidentally buy it? It's not the end of the world and definitely not reason to block someone. If you block every idiot on ebay you won't have any people to buy your stuff, and yes idiots complete millions of legitimate transactions every day on ebay. The likely scenario is that his kiddo got a hold of his phone or computer and was on his ebay account which probably was displaying similar items to the one he had for sale. I few careless clicks and boom the item was bought. Highly doubt it's a conspiracy, I don't think someone who has 20 calendars is worried about someone selling 1.

I could actually totally see a child clicking buy button, especially if there is tablet involved. I could even see it done by a cat (I believe touch interface works for cats - http://www.cnet.com/news/tablet-games-for-cats-are-touch-screen-catnip/), if I leave wrong page open on a tablet and get distracted.

I am afraid of "1-Click" button on Amazon - my 5 year old might like the button being yellow. But I have to have it enabled, with all them crazy SSDs and THs and HHs resurfacing

And I could have Advents listed on my account, while checking out competition.

Edited by No More Monkeys

Hi, I just recently got into lego collecting and I had an extra christmas advent calendar to sell, so I sold it on eBay but the buyer claims that his child bid on the item and won't pay for it. The thing is that he has a lot of positive ratings on his profile but what irks me is that he is selling like 20 advent calendars himself. Do you think the buyer was trying to push me out and wanted others to purchase his items instead?

I heard of the unpaid item dispute, but if the buyer does eventually pay to avoid the strike, I fear that he might leave a negative rating because he was forced to pay. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks guys.

For hot items like this you need to set the item as immediate pay. Cancel the transaction and move on. Not worth the negative feedback. I would block them though but I'm paranoid . 

Edited by jbacunn

Guest TabbyBoy

And buy his 20 calendars but say oops sorry it was my cat

LOL but do that from another account not linked to you.  Actually my cat did bid on a mountain bike for me oncewhen he walked across my laptop keyboard.  Luckily my tabby had the sense to not bid high enough to win!  As if the buyer would've believed me anyway.