76042 - SHIELD Helicarrier

KShine

See "Sandcrawler".

The Sandcrawler, Helicarrier, and Slave 1 have definitely proven the new direction for Lego UCS, they want to hit that halfway point between playability and display piece.  Some models are going to be more successful than others.

Well you can be sure, I won't be competing for inventory. I will display the older UCS star wars in my house. I would not display this. Either make it a play set 10188 or make it a display dsII. Most grown men who would actually pay 350.00 would not display this. IMO. everyone recognizes star wars ships, most would not have a clue on thos one. The tumbler on the other hand, very well executed, displayable, afol target market. To each his own though.

I agree with some of these points.  I think hardcore super hero fans would proudly display this, but it's not in the same league as the tumbler in terms of being a UCS model.  As I said above, the new direction will be more successful in some models than others.  The sandcrawler I give a pass to, because it's a big brown shoebox so they might as well throw some play features in the middle of it.  I would have preferred a helicarrier more along the lines of 10221.  I'm not sure how I feel about the concept of microfigures either.

Edited by naf

I like this.  

As stated in the video, the helicarrier has a long history in the marvel comics and is about the most iconic "big" vehicle as you're going to find in the super hero comic book world (not talking about batmobiles here). It's also a centerpiece of both the Avengers and Winter Soldier films.   I like it better than the SSD as it has a lot more variety to it and looks like a much more fun build.  As a ***.I. Joe junkie from the 80's it also reminds me a bit of the USS Flagg which was one of the most (if not the most) epic toys ever made.

I also personally enjoy "playsets" more than "vehicles" and this has elements of both.  The power function option makes it even better.

I have yet to pull the trigger on a $200+ set, but after seeing this I'm not sure how much longer that will be the case.

Very cool that Lego is making this.

Edited by Caltrops

first I think we can safely call anything with a plaque "UCS".

second i like that Lego is taking some chances on this one, and is really putting a lot of effort into it.  I cant say as it will all work out, for them or us, but its nice to see. 

Which makes it even stranger why the sandcrawler didn't come with one, as it's marked as UCS on the box.

I dig the mini-minifigures.  I wondered how they'd scale figures for this thing and that's about as good as they could do.

I do like that they also include some full-size minifigures.  Is this the only unmasked Captain America they have planned?

I was too until I saw that Nick Fury is really a cute little puppy dog with an eye patch.

post-8090-0-55861600-1422546470_thumb.pn

Not to mention the price at $399.99 seems a little steep compared the the Sandcrawler. I'm guessing all this fancy printing like the printed roadway/runway pieces (and inflation) are driving up the price.

• Like 2

I was too until I saw that Nick Fury is really a cute little puppy dog with an eye patch.

Not to mention the price at $399.99 seems a little steep compared the the Sandcrawler. I'm guessing all this fancy printing like the printed roadway/runway pieces (and inflation) are driving up the price.

LOL, that is a puppy face.

• Like 1

I guess not everyone can like a set, but I love it! I think they nearly nailed everything.  It could be a tad bigger, but so what.  It's 3,000 pieces, not 4,000.  It's plenty big enough and the micro builds add to the display bringing it to life. The angle in the video made it appear smaller too because you couldn't see the back section. The mini Quinjet that hovers above is awesome.  The microfigures inside are cool and never done before.  There are a lot of new things about this set.  

I do wish there were 8-10 mini figures included but i'm ok with the 5. The stand for them is sweet.  I would have liked an agent Coulson and Bruce Banner as well but I wouldn't be surprised if they were added in something else or a polybag. But the minifigures not being to scale for the set or adding playability it wouldn't have added anything other than just more mini's and a larger display stand.  I can see why they didn't. Turning turbines...awesome.  It's one of my fav sets ever. Huge win here.  

$350 is a little steep.  $299 would have made more sense and I'd probably get one for myself at that price, but oh well, that's what discounts are for. 

Edited by DenJ91