TRU.CA Monster Fighters 40% Off - Last Call!

Veegs

I'm sure a few have already seen the flyer for this weekend that has 40% off all MF sets (excluding HH, not that there are probably any anywhere in Canada).

This is noteworthy because I noticed TRU must have divvied up some of their remaining MF stock and sent it out - my store was completely out of Ghost Trains, VCs and Crazy Scientists during Bricktober but now have a few of each of these big sets in stock on the shelf. Now that the TRU 'exclusive' nightmare appears to be coming to a close, it looks like they'll be blowing these out this weekend. I'd be shocked if they had any stock left after this weekend (moonlight madness, too, Christmas shoppers aplenty and 40% off even inflated TRU prices will probably be scooped up by investors/moms and dads alike)

If you go Friday night you'll get almost another $5 back in airmiles for a $100 purchase. I went yesterday and the Windsor, ON location had 3 ghost trains, 1 crazy scientist and 3 VCs. I'll be adding these to my stock...total no brainer to sell next October/Nov/Dec.

• Like 2

Thanks for the post!

My waiting paid off :D I'll mostly be grabbing stuff for personal use, but might get some to hold.

Worth noting if you know your location has very few VC/Train.. you can buy them now and use their price protection policy when the sale starts.

Oh! I didn't know this. You just being your receipt to customer service?

My closest TRU had mountains and mountains of MF sets ... Now, barely anything - couple hearses and swamp creatures. I really find it hard to believe that they sold that many during bricktober. Anyone want to bet that these things show up back on the shelves after the 40% "clearance?"

Might have to take drive to other two around me as they had even more MF sets.

And the markup on other sets over this Xmas period is hilarious. $200 for 7965? Hah! The good part is that it could drive people to buy more online through eBay and Kijiji.

My closest TRU had mountains and mountains of MF sets ... Now, barely anything - couple hearses and swamp creatures. I really find it hard to believe that they sold that many during bricktober. Anyone want to bet that these things show up back on the shelves after the 40% "clearance?"

I tend to disagree only because they had plenty of stock of VCs online during Bricktober but moved all of them to retail. I remember stock during the 20% off event during bricktober of VCs was about 130 or so online, went down to 30 or so...now zero on the online site. If any stock comes back out after this event I'd guess it would only be some of the smaller sets...maybe. 

I tend to disagree only because they had plenty of stock of VCs online during Bricktober but moved all of them to retail. I remember stock during the 20% off event during bricktober of VCs was about 130 or so online, went down to 30 or so...now zero on the online site. If any stock comes back out after this event I'd guess it would only be some of the smaller sets...maybe. 

I hope so.... I just know those sets sat gathering dust for about a year. I'm going to scoot down to the TRU in the cheap part of town... if their stock is gone, then I'm going to stick by my wild-arse guess that TRU is up to no good. Don't they know Santa knows if you've been naughty or nice?

gregpj, at least you have the Haunted House already from our trade :)

Some of my local stores actually carried HH on the shelf way back when...would be a big score if there's a stash somewhere in the corner especially with this sale! 

Yep and it's proudly displayed in one of those IKEA Detolf cabinets where the kids can't wreck it. :)

The flyer specifically excludes HH... but I'd gladly buy any that might be hiding in a dark corner at full MSRP! 

I'm sure a few have already seen the flyer for this weekend that has 40% off all MF sets (excluding HH, not that there are probably any anywhere in Canada).

This is noteworthy because I noticed TRU must have divvied up some of their remaining MF stock and sent it out - my store was completely out of Ghost Trains, VCs and Crazy Scientists during Bricktober but now have a few of each of these big sets in stock on the shelf. Now that the TRU 'exclusive' nightmare appears to be coming to a close, it looks like they'll be blowing these out this weekend. I'd be shocked if they had any stock left after this weekend (moonlight madness, too, Christmas shoppers aplenty and 40% off even inflated TRU prices will probably be scooped up by investors/moms and dads alike)

If you go Friday night you'll get almost another $5 back in airmiles for a $100 purchase. I went yesterday and the Windsor, ON location had 3 ghost trains, 1 crazy scientist and 3 VCs. I'll be adding these to my stock...total no brainer to sell next October/Nov/Dec.

What inflated prices do you mean? Every TRU I've been to sells Lego at MSRP, same as every other retailer from Walmart to Target to Mastermind, etc. except when they have sales. If you want to talk inflated prices you should go into a TOYS TOYS TOYS sometime. 

I bought all my personal sets already, mostly at 20% off but some at 40. I think the Vampire Castle and Ghost Train will be winners but I'm not big on the rest. 

What inflated prices do you mean? Every TRU I've been to sells Lego at MSRP, same as every other retailer from Walmart to Target to Mastermind, etc. except when they have sales. If you want to talk inflated prices you should go into a TOYS TOYS TOYS sometime. 

I bought all my personal sets already, mostly at 20% off but some at 40. I think the Vampire Castle and Ghost Train will be winners but I'm not big on the rest. 

Guess which sets are not on the TRU website anymore? ;) 

TRU sells many sets above MSRP in Canada and the US.

VC and Hearse are inflated at TRU i believe. VC at TRU is $150, and retail is $130 or something. These were pre retired prices too.

And then i think Hearse is up $5. Some of the other MF sets look to be a bit higher too if i'm not mistaken.

Train was not inflated luckily!

Maybe buy VC if anyone can, the rest I`m not sure about. Never been a big believer in this theme (aside from HH, which has always been an obvious success) as a whole, though I think the best would be VC and, well, I`m not sure what else. I can`t imagine people paying a lot for anything else in this theme, not when there are other much better choices out there (SW, Super Heroes, heck even City). I`d love to be proven wrong, but aside from VC and HH my guess is still that the returns will not be as high as many other sets still on the market, or recently retired. 

Also I should note, I own literally 1 copy of everything in this theme (for personal collection) nothing else, I`ve invested elsewhere, that`s just me. These all could very well spike next year, I hope they do, as they appear to be very popular among investors. I`m sticking my money elsewhere, though I may break and buy some VCs if possible, just in case. I believe this set would do much better if not for the HH, people with money will buy that one instead, no brainer there. 

Maybe buy VC if anyone can, the rest I`m not sure about. Never been a big believer in this theme (aside from HH, which has always been an obvious success) as a whole, though I think the best would be VC and, well, I`m not sure what else. I can`t imagine people paying a lot for anything else in this theme, not when there are other much better choices out there (SW, Super Heroes, heck even City). I`d love to be proven wrong, but aside from VC and HH my guess is still that the returns will not be as high as many other sets still on the market, or recently retired. 

Also I should note, I own literally 1 copy of everything in this theme (for personal collection) nothing else, I`ve invested elsewhere, that`s just me. These all could very well spike next year, I hope they do, as they appear to be very popular among investors. I`m sticking my money elsewhere, though I may break and buy some VCs if possible, just in case. I believe this set would do much better if not for the HH, people with money will buy that one instead, no brainer there. 

The numbers on the Ghost Train and Crazy Scientist have started creeping up (as well as the VC). My TRU has the train at MSRP, so 40% off + airmiles, and the Scientist at 74.99 at 40% off seems pretty solid. I doubt the smaller ones are going to make a big splash, but I think doubling your money on the larger sets at 40% off within a year is extremely likely.

Scooby Doo Lego sets can't hurt either...

Compare TrU prices to what brickset has MSRP at for the monster fighter line. I believe only one set in this line is inflated less than 20%, the rest are inflated +20%. I was at TrU last week and the M. Falcon has already been bumped up to $199.99!

Popped by my TRU to see what they had in stock and there were nore Vampyre Castles in sight when I swear they had a whole stack of them before. Probably had to make room for the new hobbit sets. There were a few of the trains and the crazy scientist and a lot of the smaller ones. Wonder if they are hiding them?