Google Trends on Lego

TheBrickMeister

Every so often I like to play around on Google Trends. If you have not heard of Google Trends before, it is "a public web facility of Google Inc., based on Google Search, that shows how often a particular search-term is entered relative to the total search-volume" (source: Wikipedia). Basically, it shows you how often people Google stuff over time. I got to thinking the other day about the popularity of Brickpicker since the USA Today article came out about Brickpicker and decided to look up "Brickpicker" on Google Trends. Talk about a Google search explosion for Brickpicker in December and even more so into January! I'll definitely be watching the popularity of Brickpicker through Google Trends and I figured you all would be interested to see this data too. Not to start another Lego bubble discussion, but this could be a great tool to watch out for a potential Lego bubble due to the over-popularity of Lego investing. I'm not so sure I believe Lego will go the way of beanie babies or baseball cards, but I am certainly going to try to keep an eye out for it. Just for fun, here are some other Lego-related searches I did on Google Trends that were interesting to me: Lego Lego ebay Brickset Bricklink Lego investing Another great feature of Google Trends is the ability to compare the popularity of multiple searches against each other (you enter the subsequent searches by clicking "add term"). I can see this feature being a great way to monitor & compare popular Lego sets or themes to determine which may be the best investment. Here were a couple of my searches: Lego Ninjago vs. Lego Star Wars Lego Death Star vs. Lego Millenium Falcon Feel free to post interesting searches or comparisons that you come up with on Google Trends! Happy Lego Investing!

I'm not trying to be a huge downer, but the vast majority of these 'fair weather' investors will likely soon find out it is a tough slog to making profits and jump ship. I've been selling for about two years and the hassle of constantly searching/packaging/shipping and maintaining a solid supply of salable items is definitely not easy. This game is not for everyone.

I'm not trying to be a huge downer, but the vast majority of these 'fair weather' investors will likely soon find out it is a tough slog to making profits and jump ship. I've been selling for about two years and the hassle of constantly searching/packaging/shipping and maintaining a solid supply of salable items is definitely not easy. This game is not for everyone.

Good, the last thing we need is a bubble on our hands and have the whole thing burst. Lesser people investing in sets is a good thing for us IMHO. In ideal world, there are more collectors (people who do not necessarily invest to make money) than there are investors. That will drive prices up.

It's quite interesting to see. I have never really looked at Google Trends ever, but it seems accurate since it did shoot up after the article came out. I can tell you that we get thousands of vistors a day from Google related searches so it does make a difference. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

• 1 month later...