Custom Lego Stickers

mattgang

Hi Mattgang,

Thanks for the thread.  I understand a fellow mod contacted you and PMs were exchanged. 

Of course, making custom stickers is fine when they are not based on actual Lego ones.  People do this all the time when creating MOCs (my own creations)  and Lego Ideas entries.  It's the selling aspect that sometimes create the "gray" area.

Brickpicker encourages MOC posts.

some background....

first, there can be legal ramifications with reproduction / fake. lego stickers are protected by copyright and shouldn't be reproduced for financial gain unless approved by the the lego group.  we also don't want possible problems with the lego group if it's perceived this web site promotes his practice.  web sites like rebelscum (for vintage kenner star wars toys) pretty much have the same belief the last time i checked.

secondly, making reproduction stickers have their own pros and cons.  unfortunately, the cons are starting to outweigh the benefits. 

there is an increasing number of people knowing (and even unknowing) selling repro stickers and printed element tiles on other web sites.  many times, these reproduction items are sold as legitimate with sets where a simple sticker or printed plate is the only evidence if a loose set is "real or not" (e.g. Marina Bay Sands and UCS Mill. Falcon).  Many buyers would feel "cheated" thinking they purchased the real thing.

please review this existing thread below for more details.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/11945-helping-to-identify-replica-stickers-and-printed-elements/

Lets keep this thread locked for now.  

Feel free to post pics of your MOCs in those threads.

• Like 1