English Lego 20-30 Years Old

I have a lot of original English Lego sets, some in the original boxes that are between 20 and 30 years old, is there some way I can price these or are they just worth whatever the current set is worth?

Some examples are 6597 / 6086 / 6353 / 6981 Blacktron / 6062 LEGOLAND / 4011 / 5521 / 6665 / 6336 / 6342 / 6539

Use the BP guide as a guide only, The value of sets of this age all depends on condition and availability, look what the sets are priced at on Bricklink for your region 1st and then worldwide, making your sets available to international buyers could be very worth while.  Rating the condition, look for teeth marks, discolouration, how good the instructions are and the boxes.  Collectors will pay more if the sets are in excellent condition, otherwise your market is younger children and those older collectors who are being more frugal with their cash.  It doesn't hurt to price your set higher than expectations, you could get $$$ more than expected, sending to auction is a gamble, if you are in no hurry to sell, using the 'buy it now' option is usually more profitable.  

One last thing,  I not saying that this has happened here, but like any forum on any website people who have no knowledge in this field will be trying to give you advice.  My mother, who does not invest in Lego, but as a consumer with 30 years experience of buying Lego probably has more knowledge of Lego than 80% of this sites members. 

Edited by glenbart

Use the BP guide as a guide only, The value of sets of this age all depends on condition and availability, look what the sets are priced at on Bricklink for your region 1st and then worldwide, making your sets available to international buyers could be very worth while.  Rating the condition, look for teeth marks, discolouration, how good the instructions are and the boxes.  Collectors will pay more if the sets are in excellent condition, otherwise your market is younger children and those older collectors who are being more frugal with their cash.  It doesn't hurt to price your set higher than expectations, you could get $$$ more than expected, sending to auction is a gamble, if you are in no hurry to sell, using the 'buy it now' option is usually more profitable.  

Agreed. Like the OP said, he has some of the boxes for sets, and sets very old sets that are complete with all the pieces, instructions, and box, can sell for more than the BP price guide's value.

If I were you, I would do some research on those sets, and see what you can get for them in the condition that they're in. I know of a few sets that can sell for 50% more than their BP value for it being totally complete.