SPECIAL NOTICE ABOUT POSTING BLACK FRIDAY DEALS

Just need to make a quick announcement....

We are requesting that none of our members post any images or information about the upcoming Black Friday deals until we make an announcement that it is approved by the retailers.  I have already received very explicit instructions not to announce Black Friday deals early from a few of our affiliate programs.  I am sure there will be plenty of places that do release info and that is totally up to them to do so.  The retailers are making it "pretty clear" that there will be hell to pay if caught doing so. 

Reluctantly, we will need to remove any posts that we feel that could be violating their notice. 

Thanks for reading!!

Maybe we should find a place outside of BP for stuff like this, if it causes BP trouble potentially. I am not part of any program, nor did I sign any NDA. I guess most of us aren't. Why should I not be allowed to tell what I might hear some place (I didn't, don't ask - this is just an 'gedankenexperiment')? There isn't a law against that AFAIK.

Maybe we should find a place outside of BP for stuff like this, if it causes BP trouble potentially. I am not part of any program, nor did I sign any NDA. I guess most of us aren't. Why should I not be allowed to tell what I might hear some place (I didn't, don't ask - this is just an 'gedankenexperiment')? There isn't a law against that AFAIK.

You can do whatever you want and chat about it where ever you want.  We are the ones that are under agreement, so we need to adhere to the rules.   You can post whatever you want to, but it's what we allow to be displayed is what they ultimately hold us accountable for.

I wonder what the angle is they have on the BP admins? Ads? Affiliate links?

I would guess that advertisers don't want deals leaking out too early or other places could undercut them. BF has become hyper competitive among retailers.

They probably don't want us resellers hogging all the deals either...

Edited by marcandre

I have already received very explicit instructions not to announce Black Friday deals early from a few of our affiliate programs.

Doesn't this mean we only need to withhold Black Friday deals from vendors you have affiliate agreements with?

What difference does it make, for example, if we post an Ace Hardware Black Friday leak?

Edited by Spanky

Here is the issue.  All of the major LEGO sites depend on affiliate advertising to help pay for the site and/or don't want LEGO to get pissed at them.  Even a site like Slick Deals will have to adhere to this policy.  None of us wants to risk those dollars or you can kiss our sites goodbye.  Welcome to the New World.  These companies are adapting to reseller behaviors and you better be prepared to deal with it.

Black Friday deals are over rated to say the least.  Most of the best deals are random and haphazard and you need other people to help you find them in many cases.  There will be plenty of time to get prepared for most of the lame deals retailers are pushing on that day.  The real gems are on Cyber Monday and later in the Holiday shopping season.

• Like 3

Here is the issue.  All of the major LEGO sites depend on affiliate advertising to help pay for the site and/or don't want LEGO to get pissed at them.  Even a site like Slick Deals will have to adhere to this policy.  None of us wants to risk those dollars or you can kiss our sites goodbye.  Welcome to the New World.  These companies are adapting to reseller behaviors and you better be prepared to deal with it.

Black Friday deals are over rated to say the least.  Most of the best deals are random and haphazard and you need other people to help you find them in many cases.  There will be plenty of time to get prepared for most of the lame deals retailers are pushing on that day.  The real gems are on Cyber Monday and later in the Holiday shopping season.

Exactly. I couldn't care less about black friday. cyber monday random Amazon discounts are what I care about.

Edited by DoNotInsertIntoMouth

cyber monday random Amazon discounts are what I care about.

I loooooooooove those. Save your money peeps.

Also, I predict that Cyber Tuesday will be the new Cyber Monday this year.

If you're really really dying to post BF deals early, send it in a PM to all your friends until you feel better. (That doesn't violate any rules, right?)

The most useful/fun thing I picked up in this thread: The fact that native english speakers use the german expression "Gedankenexperiment" that was refreshingly surprising ;-)

The second thing I picked up is rather shocking and irritating.

Just a question, will you all go through retailer by retailer and say that things are ok to discuss.

For instance if you go to one of the many bf ad sites (I will not list any here) most do not have BF ads in any great quantity posted yet.

So I know when they show up there if they do early we should not discuss here without an ok.

But will you all come up and state Target BF is ok to discuss, Walmart, Kmart, Lego, Amazon, Shopko, Boscov, etc etc.

I am not wanting to make it a hassle for you to have to do that but not sure when and if you would name all retailer BF ads that sell Lego.

I am guessing we should skip discussing those vendors & deals unless you specifically name the retailer as ok and that you will name the big ones but not necessarily all of them?

Just a question, will you all go through retailer by retailer and say that things are ok to discuss.

For instance if you go to one of the many bf ad sites (I will not list any here) most do not have BF ads in any great quantity posted yet.

So I know when they show up there if they do early we should not discuss here without an ok.

But will you all come up and state Target BF is ok to discuss, Walmart, Kmart, Lego, Amazon, Shopko, Boscov, etc etc.

I am not wanting to make it a hassle for you to have to do that but not sure when and if you would name all retailer BF ads that sell Lego.

I am guessing we should skip discussing those vendors & deals unless you specifically name the retailer as ok and that you will name the big ones but not necessarily all of them?

Just run them past Jeff or me first.  We will honor their requests the best we can.  It is probably much ado about nothing and the sales are probably subpar anyway, but we are just warning members that certain posts or threads can be removed unless they get permission from the Admins.  We will see how this all shakes out.

• Like 1

Just run them past Jeff or me first.  We will honor their requests the best we can.  It is probably much ado about nothing and the sales are probably subpar anyway, but we are just warning members that certain posts or threads can be removed unless they get permission from the Admins.  We will see how this all shakes out.

Thanks.  I agree with the sentiment on subpar sales.  I guess I am being a downer and another poster is right (stated somewhere here on BP) we are still a week or two early from getting great deals and headwinds of deals but for instance I think TRU is going to discount very little and have fewer coupons for the balance of the year.

Glad this was posted. We don't want someone not in the know to get BP in a tight spot.

I also think this is a non issue. Most black friday deals are advertised enough in advance for you to plan out your course of attack.

But as previously stated the better deals will happen on Cyber Monday.