79003 - An Unexpected Gathering

They were marked $44 with 40% off at Kmart and then added in the coupons to get them on average to $25.xx according to my brickfolio. I think I only found 2 at Walmart and they were beat up boxes. Kmart is my goldmine. Can not wait to use my 2k in sears/kmart gift cards @ 20% off this year to restock on goodies. I only wish I had the B&****** skills some guys have on here. The B&****** workers around me are cold as ice.

This is the only LOTR set I wish I had more of (ToO too). I also got them @ $25 from Kmart and Walmart over the summer, so it's already a winner. Wish I could have found more instead of Black Gates which bought in @ $36 and horrible horrible Goblin Kings @ $57. The Black Gates will probably be good in a few years but I have no hope for the Goblin Kings.

they were on sale for $25 at walmart last year or you stacked coupons? if that's the case, how did you guys do that? what an amazing price. i'm trying to learn how to stack better. 

They were marked $44 with 40% off at Kmart and then added in the coupons to get them on average to $25.xx according to my brickfolio. I think I only found 2 at Walmart and they were beat up boxes. Kmart is my goldmine. Can not wait to use my 2k in sears/kmart gift cards @ 20% off this year to restock on goodies. I only wish I had the B&****** skills some guys have on here. The B&****** workers around me are cold as ice.

I need to keep an eagle out more often.

I have all of these stores in close driving distance, and seem to see these sets sitting there STARING me in the face. 

Im like playdoh right now, being molded into a young BrickPicker Jedi..LOL   :asciidity:  

Edited by jdmpartz

This is the only LOTR set I wish I had more of (ToO too). I also got them @ $25 from Kmart and Walmart over the summer, so it's already a winner. Wish I could have found more instead of Black Gates which bought in @ $36 and horrible horrible Goblin Kings @ $57. The Black Gates will probably be good in a few years but I have no hope for the Goblin Kings.

Goblin king already is selling for 90-100 this holiday season so at 57 you should do fine

they were on sale for $25 at walmart last year or you stacked coupons? if that's the case, how did you guys do that? what an amazing price. i'm trying to learn how to stack better.

Mine were on sale for $25 at walmart, no coupons required. It was one out in the middle of nowhere and they clearanced them down again from $49 to $25. I also got some 70006 craggers command ships for $30 the same day. Needless to say, I check that walmart anytime I am around it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like this one is history?  "Sold Out" at LEGO Shop at Home.  Can't find it at WM, TRU, TRGT, FAO, and now $101 on Amazon Prime.  This one wasn't on my "must have" list.  I picked one up from Walmart at $54 a few weeks ago.  I wasn't too excited about that price, but I thought I should get it "just in case".

What makes you think it's unpopular? It's one of the longest running Lego LOTR/Hobbit sets out there. Still being produced with recent date stamps after several years.

I totally agree.  I think it may have been THE most popular Hobbit-themed set.  I think it has very nice long-term investment potential.  They didn't over-produce it because the theme itself didn't do great, but the Shire/Hobbiton set is iconic and overlaps both The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.  Plus, it's a FANTASTIC build for a mid-size set.  I have a few I'm holding on to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've noticed this as well.  I said it all along, this would be the best bang for your buck of all the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit sets.  The only one that might be stronger down the road is Orthanc, but even that might not end as strong.  It's a great build, and it is a great display piece.  And it's the most iconic of all the Middle Earth themes.  I only have one left, but I think I'll hold onto it for a while longer yet.  We'll see where this one ends up.

• 2 months later...

Several members have been able to pick this set up for $40-50 over the past year/year and a half. At that price, it was a no brainer, easy money. For $89 though, not so much IMHO. I think you`ve got plenty of better option available to you. That said, if you want the set personally and don`t yet own one, I would buy it. This set should level off somewhere in the $150-$200 range I would think, eventually. 

• Like 1

Do people remember how criticized Diagon Alley was for being a slow moving set after retirement?
It is simply that people have no patience and expect sky rocket returns immediately. Those who have this set will be laughing in the near future. Like most investment sets, throw it in a cupboard and forget about it. 

• Like 2

Do people remember how criticized Diagon Alley was for being a slow moving set after retirement?
It is simply that people have no patience and expect sky rocket returns immediately. Those who have this set will be laughing in the near future. Like most investment sets, throw it in a cupboard and forget about it. 

....and it only doubled thus far (per amazon prices) being outperformed by pretty much all hoarded modulars with the same pricetag.

Given how Hogwarts Castle that was not an exclusive, had lower MSRP, and a 4th remake could easily outperform DA, I'd say the criticisms had their merit :)

....and it only doubled thus far (per amazon prices) being outperformed by pretty much all hoarded modulars with the same pricetag.

More like $330 + shipping on eBay.  So better than a double.  And about 25% less volume (easier to store) than a modular like FB.  Unexpected Gathering, however, does not excite me.  It's a midsize set in a lousy theme that had a longer than normal retail life.