Wal-Mart's new online price matching policy 2014 - Select states

exciter1

it should be.  sort of silly to make you jump through the hoops of ordering online with instore pickup.

also sort of hippocritical with walmart's hyped "Savings Catcher" which compares competitor advertised deals and automatically matches them, and yet not match their own online store prices...

it should be.  sort of silly to make you jump through the hoops of ordering online with instore pickup.

also sort of hippocritical with walmart's hyped "Savings Catcher" which compares competitor advertised deals and automatically matches them, and yet not match their own online store prices...

The not matching their own online prices is the dumbest policy ever.

• Like 1

If Walmart hopes for any chance to truly compete with Target or even Toys R Us, they simply need to do this at all their outlets. I don't mind some limits within reason in regards to what and/or how much you can price match with from the other guys but in any case, they really shouldn't give people a hassle for trying to match with their own company website for Pete's sake. Why should I be forced to buy the item online on the Walmart site essentially 'reserving' the item for store pickup when I can just buy the thing right there as I am already in the store and walk out at the discounted price?

Yeah, it looks like Walmart is trying out this new policy in test markets.  If it's profitable, they'll keep it;  if not, it will probably get the ax.

No store wants to price match, and that makes sense to me.  Ordering online has less overhead (it doesn't require paying for a brightly lit, air conditioned box and an army of surly retail employees), so a store can charge less and still profit.  10 years ago, that was the standard- online prices were lower, and no one price matched their online site or anyone else.  Target/TRU/etc only started price matching because they had to do it to survive- Amazon was running them into the ground.  Walmart is already the world's largest retailer by far, though;  they don't have to compete.  Walmart is not changing policy unless doing so makes them more money, pure and simple.

The not matching their own online prices is the dumbest policy ever.

I'd agree, but then I read the T&C for the Savings Catcher program....

• "Most grocery, consumable and health and wellness items purchased at participating Walmart stores are eligible for comparison using the Walmart Savings Catcher, except for private label, deli, bakery, and weighed products like meats. The following categories of items are NOT eligible for comparison using the Walmart Savings Catcher:
    • General merchandise items (including, but not limited to, electronics, media and gaming, TOYS, sporting goods, housewares, small appliances, home d
Edited by imirish11

On a side note:

Toy clearance has been rotting in an isle for over a month. I asked a manager if they are going to ever throw a 40% off clearance sign up; response: depends on how much money the store makes. If make a bunch one month it frees them up to clear out some toys (they will lose money on some of it). There is no magic day, when it happens it happens.

Fortunately I am at this store a few times a week, there are some LOTR stuff and a few SW sets that I would love to grab up, but waiting for it to go more than the 25% or so it is now

Ps: my store price matches w no issues

• 4 weeks later...

This has been noted in other topics and I would have posted a reply, but I did not find a suitable topic to post in.

Some BPers have commented that Walmart has a pilot project to match online prices and today the WSJ (and others) have written an article detailing it.

Could be great for the holiday season.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/wal-mart-weighs-matching-online-prices-during-holidays-1414672782

This has been noted in other topics and I would have posted a reply, but I did not find a suitable topic to post in.

Some BPers have commented that Walmart has a pilot project to match online prices and today the WSJ (and others) have written an article detailing it.

Could be great for the holiday season.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/wal-mart-weighs-matching-online-prices-during-holidays-1414672782

They'd better make up their minds quick.

I stopped in a Charlotte Walmart today (one of the "test cities"), and asked at the service desk, "So I hear you're price-matching online prices now, is that correct?"  The manager and assistant working the counter acted like, "Oh yeah... we've been doing that for a LONG time..." the manager then started to explain to me how the Savings Catcher program worked, scanning in your receipt, etc... and I said, "I know... I have Savings Catcher... but what about if you buy, say, a microwave and find it at Amazon for less... do you price match online prices?"  The assistant then spoke up and said yes, but you have to be sure the price includes free shipping, etc,  the manager didn't seem as sure as the assistant... I don't think either of them had actually done it for anyone in their store.  I expect it to be "a challenge" the first time I try it. Do you really think I could bring in a yoyo, BOGO 40% off, plus free shipping deal and have them understand it?  Good luck!

Do you really think I could bring in a yoyo, BOGO 40% off, plus free shipping deal and have them understand it?  Good luck!

Absolutely not. The will not match any sort of "Buy One Get One", bundles, dollar off, percent off, limited time only, or anything like that.

The only thing they are going to match is price.  If the price of something is $79.99 then Walmart will match the $79.99.  If the price of something is $99.99 with a $20 instant rebate then Walmart will only match the $99.99 price.

Edited by Spanky
  • Like 1

I stopped in a Charlotte Walmart today (one of the "test cities"), and asked at the service desk, "So I hear you're price-matching online prices now, is that correct?"  The manager and assistant working the counter acted like, "Oh yeah... we've been doing that for a LONG time..." the manager then started to explain to me how the Savings Catcher program worked, scanning in your receipt, etc... and I said, "I know... I have Savings Catcher... but what about if you buy, say, a microwave and find it at Amazon for less... do you price match online prices?"  The assistant then spoke up and said yes, but you have to be sure the price includes free shipping, etc,  the manager didn't seem as sure as the assistant... I don't think either of them had actually done it for anyone in their store.  I expect it to be "a challenge" the first time I try it. Do you really think I could bring in a yoyo, BOGO 40% off, plus free shipping deal and have them understand it?  Good luck!

FWIW, I have had issues at TRU getting them to match % off deals. They say that the price has to be very explicitly identified in the deal to do the match. I ran into this issue at TRU with the Target BOGO %off deal this summer and the AMAZON BOGO %off deal. I like the shape of the boxes at TRU far better than the Target and AMAZON shipping risks. YMMV

Speaking of Savings Catcher... anyone who shops at Walmart regularly really needs to install the app and use it.  I started using it about a month ago... out of 25 Walmart receipts I've scanned, I've gotten cash back on 9 of them.  Probably about $11 total.  Most surprising: they DO price match on produce.  My biggest cashback was almost $6 on three pumpkins we bought for Halloween.

I like Walmart.  Even if they do online price match I would most likely still go to Target for all purchases of that type.  Their customer service is more streamlined in my opinion.  I am fortunate to have both Walmart and Target in my area so Target is my 'go to' for price matching on all occasions.  I suppose if Walmart is your only game in town this would be nice.  I would rather just order online from either website than leaving the house to maintain my shut in nature.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess they opened it to nationwide...

http://blog.likefolio.com/post/102613595107/how-wal-mart-just-kneecapped-amazon

The only location restrictions in their online pricing policy appear to be Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico..

http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31/kw/online%20price%20match

Great news. Now Walmart can truly compete with Target's online price-matching policy implemented since last year. Only problem would be the Walmarts with some stingy employees who come across like a stubborn jackass.