Another New Member

Hey guys,

I'm new here.  I've collected all kinds of things over the years, and I just learned about Lego collecting.  It sounds interesting to me, and I'm especially interested in finding vintage sets and maybe even the first legos made.

I'm writing a book about collecting, and thought I should try my hand at this.  I have to confess that I didn't realize there was such a thriving population of lego collectors. 

I have a million questions...so I hope I can get over the five approved post hurdle soon.

Regards,

Steve

Question Number 557,683 of 1,000,000:   Are production numbers for various sets listed anywhere?  Like how many Eiffel tower sets were made?  Has anyone ever tried to estimate production levels?

No production numbers are available save for true limited items like the 10179 or a mr. Gold. The rest are estimated by batches. All more expensive sets come with plastic  seals on the box which tells you what batch your set came from. Again, how many are in a batch, we don't really know.

And welcome to the site :)

Edited by Neosphinx

Thanks guys.  I guess I can try to figure out the populations of some of the sets by comparing ratios of known items.  I'm even curious about ballpark figures on production.  Like did they make about 500 Eiffel Towers, or 50,000?  

Another question...is there such a thing as a Lego Collector's convention?  Do they ever have them close to Florida?

• 3 weeks later...