10123 - Cloud City

beeblet65

The Condor good luck with your search!

Dude that is insane. I would have literally peed in my pants.

That was my first serious lego investment. I spent $1300 on the lot and I figured I probably turned a $2500 profit after it was all said and done. I have been selling little sets here and there that I bought at garage sales and Goodwill and didn't really realize there were really big money sets like that. I've managed to buy 2 of each of the first 3 modulars in used lots over the last 3 years. The best was the 100% Market St with instructions hiding in a drawer of a sorting container within a lot that I bought for $360 that I was planning on tripling my money on. I built that sucker in an hour and sold it on ebay 6 hours later to someone in Australia for $780.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I'm relatively new to LEGO world...

I'm struggling as to whether I should buy the cloud city set, it's now at least $1500 USD new sealed box. It's really expensive!

Would this set a good investment in future. This set caught me because I notice each minifigures worth a lot already nowadays!

Thank you for answering

Personally I would avoid paying that kind of money. If they remake it in the next couple of years the set would take a hit and you'd struggle to get your money back. You'd be better off investing that money into sets that are due to retire in the coming months. Read the forums on prospective EOL sets, this will be a quicker way to get a good return on your investment.

I'm struggling as to whether I should buy the cloud city set, it's now at least $1500 USD new sealed box. It's really expensive!

Would this set a good investment in future. This set caught me because I notice each minifigures worth a lot already nowadays!

Thank you for answering

I would just buy a use one at this point or Bricklink it.

Definitely don`t buy one at the current prices, unless you really have the money to do so. Bricklink it will be many times cheaper (without minifigures) and if you want to invest $1500 into something, buy a few Modulars/UCS sets, I guarantee those will do much better at this point. 

• 3 months later...

Thank you for answering

if you buy a sealed Cloud City for $1500, then the only person that will get any investment value out of it is the person selling. 

He is (if he bought it at retail) is already getting 2000% on his money, how much do you think will be left for you.

You'd be better off buying 6 Red Five UCS Sets.

• 3 months later...

I think Cloud City play set lure, is more that of its lego back story, of hard times, and limited run.

Sure the rare minifigs, add value, Boba Fett and his printed arms, Lando, Luke, Leia and Han in Cloud City costume, never to be re- released in a new verison.

This begs the question will lego release a UCS play set verison of cloud city in the vein of the new sand crawler and ewok village?

i agree.  having built this set and watched my son play with it, i think 10123 hasn't aged.  however, it's still a "fun" set and widely popular (as it should be) for the reasons you mentioned. plus it's based on maybe the most iconic scenes in the most popular SW film to-date.

i do think it's only a matter of time this set is refreshed or at least, parts of it are. kinda like the upcoming ROTJ throne room set and 10188.

I think Cloud City play set lure, is more that of its lego back story, of hard times, and limited run.

Sure the rare minifigs, add value, Boba Fett and his printed arms, Lando, Luke, Leia and Han in Cloud City costume, never to be re- released in a new verison.

This begs the question will lego release a UCS play set verison of cloud city in the vein of the new sand crawler and ewok village?

• 2 months later...

Greetings,

I saw an add on CL for a Cloud city 10123 set that was supposedly complete with open box but sealed bags for $275. I figured this was def a good deal and went to check it out. Come to find out that yes it was an opened box and yes the bags were sealed except #1 which had all the mini figs removed. The box is a bit beat but the instructions and poly bags seemed in good shape. Because the minifigs weren't there I really had no interest until the guy asked what I was willing to offer for it. I tossed out a low number just cus I really didn't want it. So now I own this set that I paid $25 for and am curious what to do with it. Should I try and find the figs to make it complete or sell it as is. What is this set worth in the condition its in?

Thanx guys

• Like 1

For that price I would just list it on eBay as an auction and see what happens. But I get entertainment out of that sort of thing.

This is the route I would go as well. You basically got it for almost nothing. Have some fun with it. Somebody will pay you some decent money for it. Just make sure the auction ends on a Sunday night when most people are home. Let us know how you do. Good luck!
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, 

Would anyone know what a full set of minifigures for this set is going for. I have a possible lead on a complete set and was curious how much I should offer for them.

Thanx

There are so many variables that could affect the price on this one. The box alone is over 150, the instructions over 50, the set (without figs) 300+, the minifigs range up to 400 for Boba Fett alone. The condition of the minifigs makes a huge difference on overall value - so you would need to examine them carefully.

There are so many variables that could affect the price on this one. The box alone is over 150, the instructions over 50, the set (without figs) 300+, the minifigs range up to 400 for Boba Fett alone. The condition of the minifigs makes a huge difference on overall value - so you would need to examine them carefully.

I just read somewhere that Boba Fett is worth between $5K-$9K...

• Like 1

According to the price guide a used set is $500 and a new set $1050 so I cant imagine the figs could be more then 500-600.

That would be a premium price, especially if bought as a lot. I hope the potential deal is more like half as much if seriously considered (maybe a bit more for collecting vs. investing)

I don't know if the backlash from the Winter Toy Shop remake is going to have any effect whatsoever on TLG's future plans, but I will say that Cloud City (in my opinion) is a prime candidate for a remake.  

This is one set I would absolutely sell now if I had it.   

I'm not predicting it will be remade, I'm just saying if it is... you heard it here first.

You've all been warned :) 

• Like 2

I don't know if the backlash from the Winter Toy Shop remake is going to have any effect whatsoever on TLG's future plans, but I will say that Cloud City (in my opinion) is a prime candidate for a remake.  

This is one set I would absolutely sell now if I had it.   

I'm not predicting it will be remade, I'm just saying if it is... you heard it here first.

You've all been warned :) 

Even if it is remade, there will be collectors who want the original figs.  The Boba Fett is the old grey which Lego will never go back to.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So I finally sold my 10123 Cloud City after 10 months of trying.  I had many bites (mainly US, UK and Australia) but people kept  complaining about the cost of postage (not my prob as including the Lego box raised the cost & insurance / signature was required).  Whenever, I offered to decrease postage by omitting the Lego box, people, were like "no, I want the box".

From this experience, one thing is certain.  Even a refresh of 10123 would fly off retail shelves.  10123 hasn't aged well but it's still a great little set. Some aspects like the Freezing Chamber and Weather Vane still look awesome.   I do think the landing platform wasn't needed and those elements could have been better used to increase each room's size.

I just hope this Assault on Hoth set debacle doesn't convince Lego to forego releasing a Cloud City set.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

I decided to collect Star Wars minifigures and reluctantly paid about $1k for a new 10123.  I really wanted those figures, but hesitated to buy loose ones or used ones.  There are just so many custom ones out there and I do not want to risk paying a few hundred dollars for some fake ones.  The condition of used ones is hard to tell from pictures and I heard that this set did not age well and many Boba Fett figures may have cracks.  My question is how to protect those figures after the bag is opened.  I do not want to see cracks or discoloration down the road.  My kid keeps bugging me to open the bags and build the set.  Do not know how long he can wait.  I bought a chrome darth Vader in a sealed bag from Amazon a couple weeks ago.  It already has two cracks in the torso even it is sealed.  I returned it, but have not got my money back yet.  

I di do not think Lego will release those figures. They always make changes or improvements.  These figures are expensive mostly because they are rare, not because they are good.