General shipping questions, tips and answers

speedpro50

That doesn't make sense, if you are offering free shipping on your item and someone gives you an offer, the free shipping stays.

It looks like you're right.  If I try to make an offer to someone with free shipping, it says in the offer that shipping is free.  Their wording just threw me, but would make more sense for a listing that had a shipping cost listed  Time to turn the phone up to hear the cha-ching.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had a package that was supposed to be delivered by USPS a little over a week ago.  I assume that it never received the delivery scan since I haven't heard anything from the buyer.  I'm thinking no news is good news in this situation, or should I send a quick message to the buyer to make sure they got the package?

I need a little advice on an eBay sale I made yesterday.  Customer purchased item and I have already received payment.  The shipping I stated was for Standard Shipping and charged $9.99.  However, the customer messages me that he wants it before December 24th, but no offer to pay for expedited shipping.  My shipping label states it will be expected by 12/26.  I sent the customer an email offering upgraded shipping and would be willing to split the cost with him.  Granted I messaged him about 12 hours ago (he is on the east coast), since this is time sensitive, I haven't heard from him and I need to get this shipped out.  My listing also said I would ship within 1 business day and I need to ship this today to get it to them as close to Xmas as possible and to protect my DSR.  Advice?   Should I ship it anyway without the upgrade?

I need a little advice on an eBay sale I made yesterday.  Customer purchased item and I have already received payment.  The shipping I stated was for Standard Shipping and charged $9.99.  However, the customer messages me that he wants it before December 24th, but no offer to pay for expedited shipping.  My shipping label states it will be expected by 12/26.  I sent the customer an email offering upgraded shipping and would be willing to split the cost with him.  Granted I messaged him about 12 hours ago (he is on the east coast), since this is time sensitive, I haven't heard from him and I need to get this shipped out.  My listing also said I would ship within 1 business day and I need to ship this today to get it to them as close to Xmas as possible and to protect my DSR.  Advice?   Should I ship it anyway without the upgrade?

If you purchase your shipping through ebay priority mail is usually cheaper than parcel post or the difference is slight. I would upgrade and ship. Although I offer free priority or first class package on all my listings anyway.

I assume when you say standard shipping, that's not priority?  I would think priority would get there in time assuming you are in the continental US.

I had something similar happen, but it wasn't for Christmas, where a seller said if you can't get it here by a certain date I want to cancel.  I estimated the delivery time based on USPS website and told him what time it was estimated to arrive.  I mentioned that things could happen, weather, lost package, etc. and if he wanted to cancel that would be fine.  I was hoping he would cancel since he sounded like a PITA buyer, but he said to ship it and everything worked out fine, he even got it early.  He left kind of a whiney positive feedback though.

Part of my dilemma is that the upgrade to Priority Mail is another $20 or so because of the weight of the package.  I have done upgrades for free in the past where the cost was so small.  Also, the buyer's feedback is "1" at 0% rating, however, he made an instant payment.  Debating on eating about $30 in shipping to upgrade so I don't lose the sale.....

Part of my dilemma is that the upgrade to Priority Mail is another $20 or so because of the weight of the package.  I have done upgrades for free in the past where the cost was so small.  Also, the buyer's feedback is "1" at 0% rating, however, he made an instant payment.  Debating on eating about $30 in shipping to upgrade so I don't lose the sale.....

How does FedEx look?  Home Delivery should still get it there in time and probably be cheaper than Priority if it is a heavier item.

• Like 1

You know, I never looked at the FedEx option.  That would actually work.  5 business days should get it there by the 22nd or 23rd.  

When you print the label, make sure you select "this is a residence", if it is one, or else they will tack on a few bucks once they invoice for it.

Edited by fuzzy_bricks
  • Like 1

Sold two things the same day (tuesday) I boxed and printed USPS labels and then dropped both off at the same time at my local post office.

Yeah yeah I know they will come pick them up.  (Whole other story of not being home most of the day).

Anyway...one shows acceptance at the P.O. and then moving to the local sort facility...the second package shows nothing...just when I purchased and printed the label.

Should I be worried?

There were a lot of people in the post office.  The desk jocky told me to just leave them there on the counter...it could have been taken?  I don't know.

The buyer wanted this in by this Saturday.  Shipping from St. Louis to Ann Arbor MI with priority two day mail.

I hope it was scanned in and moved on...really WTF?

Sold two things the same day (tuesday) I boxed and printed USPS labels and then dropped both off at the same time at my local post office.

Yeah yeah I know they will come pick them up. (Whole other story of not being home most of the day).

Anyway...one shows acceptance at the P.O. and then moving to the local sort facility...the second package shows nothing...just when I purchased and printed the label.

Should I be worried?

There were a lot of people in the post office. The desk jocky told me to just leave them there on the counter...it could have been taken? I don't know.

The buyer wanted this in by this Saturday. Shipping from St. Louis to Ann Arbor MI with priority two day mail.

USPS tracking is not exactly the best when it's not processing holiday volume. It should update.

I was about to post a similar story.  I had USPS pick up packages on Monday, and they scanned everything except for an Arctic Icebreaker, which has no tracking other than me printing the label.  It was 2-Day Priority Mail and the buyer still hasn't gotten it, 4 days after shipping.  I saw the mailman pick it up from my porch.  I spent an hour this morning and 30 minutes yesterday, trying to talk to someone at USPS who knew anything.  They just initiated a case and that was all.  Hoping it somehow arrives tomorrow, otherwise I'm going to end up shipping the buyer another one, insuring it fully and demanding they scan it in at the counter.  The last time I dropped off packages, they told me to just drop it on the counter and "we'll scan it later".

Yeah yeah I know they will come pick them up.  (Whole other story of not being home most of the day).

Should I be worried?

There were a lot of people in the post office.  The desk jocky told me to just leave them there on the counter...it could have been taken?  I don't know.

The buyer wanted this in by this Saturday.  Shipping from St. Louis to Ann Arbor MI with priority two day mail.

I was about to post a similar story.  I had USPS pick up packages on Monday, and they scanned everything except for an Arctic Icebreaker, which has no tracking other than me printing the label.  It was 2-Day Priority Mail and the buyer still hasn't gotten it, 4 days after shipping.  I saw the mailman pick it up from my porch.  I spent an hour this morning and 30 minutes yesterday, trying to talk to someone at USPS who knew anything.  They just initiated a case and that was all.  Hoping it somehow arrives tomorrow, otherwise I'm going to end up shipping the buyer another one, insuring it fully and demanding they scan it in at the counter.  The last time I dropped off packages, they told me to just drop it on the counter and "we'll scan it later".

Yeah always make sure they scan.  If not they can say you never dropped it off or gave it to them.

They pulled that 1 time last year on our daily pickup during Xmas.  The postmaster told my daily driver not to scan as they got to the warehouse after 7 and she didn't want to get in trouble for not getting the mail on the truck that left the hub already.  Had over 250 going out.  I told my driver that was BS and to give me her number.  He wound up scanning them for me when he got back and called me to let me know (scanned them at 9:15 at night).  I still called her the next day and told her anyone who picks up will be scanning my packages. 

• Like 1

Should I be worried?

I dropped off a package at the post office a couple weeks ago with several other packages. This particular package was not scanned at all until it arrived in the destination country. I bet you're fine.

Yeah always make sure they scan.  If not they can say you never dropped it off or gave it to them.

They pulled that 1 time last year on our daily pickup during Xmas.  The postmaster told my daily driver not to scan as they got to the warehouse after 7 and she didn't want to get in trouble for not getting the mail on the truck that left the hub already.  Had over 250 going out.  I told my driver that was BS and to give me her number.  He wound up scanning them for me when he got back and called me to let me know (scanned them at 9:15 at night).  I still called her the next day and told her anyone who picks up will be scanning my packages.

It comes down to how much time you want to invest in standing in line at the post office. Is it worth it? Hasn't been for me, yet.

It comes down to how much time you want to invest in standing in line at the post office. Is it worth it? Hasn't been for me, yet.

very true, you can have them pick up at no charge with a pickup request the night before.  You can do it for awhile straight as well so you don't have to do it each day.

Not sure if that's feasible for you or not but always another option.

very true, you can have them pick up at no charge with a pickup request the night before. You can do it for awhile straight as well so you don't have to do it each day.

Still no guarantee of a scan, though, unless you're on top of it like you were. I suppose standing in line at the post office isn't really a guarantee either, lol.

(I do typically use pickup, except when I forget the night before)

Edited by minicoopers11

very true, you can have them pick up at no charge with a pickup request the night before.  You can do it for awhile straight as well so you don't have to do it each day.

I've done this.  I'm not sure, but if you do a pickup request, do they have to scan it to prove that it was picked up?  They always have with mine, but it's only one or two packages.

I think I've read where justafrog has talked about printing out a sheet that they only have to scan one bar code and all of your packages are then scanned in.

(I do typically use pickup, except when I forget the night before)

My postal lady told me as long as it's in the mailbox she'll take it whether I did a pickup or not (she's pretty cool), but it doesn't get a scan until it gets back to the PO. 

Edited by fuzzy_bricks

I've done this.  I'm not sure, but if you do a pickup request, do they have to scan it to prove that it was picked up?  They always have with mine, but it's only one or two packages.

I think I've read where justafrog has talked about printing out a sheet that they only have to scan one bar code and all of your packages are then scanned in.

Yes, I was just about to reiterate using a scan form.

If you use eBay shipping, PayPal (multi-order) shipping, or Stamps.com*, you can print a scan form that has ALL of your USPS packages for the day listed under ONE scannable bar code on a single sheet of paper. Very easy for either counter drop-off or pickup service postal employees.

*not sure about any other postage printing services that support the scan form, there could be others I'm not familiar with.

• Like 1

they can do the sheet as well if you have a program that does the one bar code.  Not all systems do it.  I usually am using a few different softwares and ebay shipping labels so they do scan all of mine individually.  My drivers have always preferred to scan each one as well as they get credit for scans per route where as the bar code they do not.   I asked mine a few times and she finally told me why she preferred to scan each one.  Probably has something to do with making your route look busier.  It is a pretty easy route for my drivers except for me.  They come by my place last with an empty truck and we fill it up each day. 

Yes, I was just about to reiterate using a scan form.

If you use eBay shipping, PayPal (multi-order) shipping, or Stamps.com*, you can print a scan form that has ALL of your USPS packages for the day listed under ONE scannable bar code on a single sheet of paper. Very easy for either counter drop-off or pickup service postal employees.

*not sure about any other postage printing services that support the scan form, there could be others I'm not familiar with.

THAT'S WHAT THAT IS. Well, thank you. I learned something today.

Lately about half of my shipments show problems with scanning as well - in particular (but not only) padded envelopes. They all eventually got at least one scan - sometimes the delivery scan only. It makes me nervous every time, and for expensive sets I would go to the PO and be sure to have it scanned. This wasn't the case some weeks back, so I can imagine that the holiday season is part of the problem.