General shipping questions, tips and answers

speedpro50

It does help with search status bumping you to the top but I have never seen a huge increase from it.  I have been top rated on all accounts for the past 2 years and just dropped to above standard with the new "defect rate" (which they stated would be easier than under the old system, which there is no way that is true with as many things that can count as a defect) but should hit top rated again next month.  Just had to adjust a few more things like always every few years when they seem to change the rules again.  Main reason to have it for us is the end of auction fees.  Ebay fees are 10-12k a month so comes out to about $1500-2000 and that is a nice chunk to save.  It would be hard to prove or disprove any benefits from the higher best match and whether or not items went higher consistently.  I will sell one item one day and it go for $25 and sell the same item another day and it goes for $50 so its all whose watching that item at that moment.  Fixed price items probably do seem to sell a little better with it but again hard to prove how much better.  

On a side note they changed a few other things behind the scenes that is helping closer sales.  About 80% of my BIN's / Offers have been states around me so it seems they have definitely changed search settings by area for getting items quicker. That way the buyer can buy from a neighboring state more than one across the coast which costs the seller more in shipping and takes a lot longer for the buyer to get it. 

The USPS rates have also drastically dropped since the 7th.  Had a bunch of 40-50% discounts yesterday then today had one 52% off.  9lbs to Alabama was only $5 and change.  So some changes have been for the good the last week.  Its just on priority mail and seems to be in the 6 to 10lb range of closer range states.  Saves a lot though over using the 11.35 flat rate when you can ship it for half in the regular priority.  

It does help with search status bumping you to the top but I have never seen a huge increase from it.  I have been top rated on all accounts for the past 2 years and just dropped to above standard with the new "defect rate" (which they stated would be easier than under the old system, which there is no way that is true with as many things that can count as a defect) but should hit top rated again next month.  Just had to adjust a few more things like always every few years when they seem to change the rules again.  Main reason to have it for us is the end of auction fees.  Ebay fees are 10-12k a month so comes out to about $1500-2000 and that is a nice chunk to save.  It would be hard to prove or disprove any benefits from the higher best match and whether or not items went higher consistently.  I will sell one item one day and it go for $25 and sell the same item another day and it goes for $50 so its all whose watching that item at that moment.  Fixed price items probably do seem to sell a little better with it but again hard to prove how much better.

I actually tested it using mine and my wife's accounts and there was no difference in the selling price at auction and my wife's non TRS BIN actually sold before my TRS BIN. For my BIN test I used the Martian Manhunter promo with free shipping and both sold at $18 or $19 (it's been a while). For the auction test I used a lot of 10 battle droids and both auctions closed within $0.50 of each other. Very small sample sizes, but a good illustration non the less.

It might be fun to get a group of us together and all list som identical, small item and test this in a more controlled way. With a full statistical work up of the results. Could even be a project for some of the young upstarts around here that are still in school.

• Like 1

For all practical matters, returns are mandatory already. SNAD cases make sure of that.

Yes but people with morals that don't feel comfortable picking that if they change their mind if product is as described cannot return.

I think there are many customers with integrity I have sold to.

I have had one SNAD life to date out of 1,000 or so sales with my methods and no other returns.

And they were wrong but it wasn't worth fighting over.

They ended up keeping it at a discount.

Yes but people with morals that don't feel comfortable picking that if they change their mind if product is as described cannot return.

I think there are many customers with integrity I have sold to.

I have had one SNAD life to date out of 1,000 or so sales with my methods and no other returns.

And they were wrong but it wasn't worth fighting over.

They ended up keeping it at a discount.

Lego customers seem to be a lot better than other categories of sales.  I sell pretty much anything and everything and Electronics, Tools, and other categories bring a lot more people with less than stellar morals compared to the toys / collectibles categories.  

Lego customers seem to be a lot better than other categories of sales.  I sell pretty much anything and everything and Electronics, Tools, and other categories bring a lot more people with less than stellar morals compared to the toys / collectibles categories.

From your transaction levels it sounds like you have first hand experience and it is real.

I would probably also say that with your sale volume and if you get significant $ discount it can be worth a few lousy returns.

Since I am smaller I d rather have it safe but I'll probably opt in next year when required to. You all are wearing on me!

I actually tested it using mine and my wife's accounts and there was no difference in the selling price at auction and my wife's non TRS BIN actually sold before my TRS BIN. For my BIN test I used the Martian Manhunter promo with free shipping and both sold at $18 or $19 (it's been a while). For the auction test I used a lot of 10 battle droids and both auctions closed within $0.50 of each other. Very small sample sizes, but a good illustration non the less.

It might be fun to get a group of us together and all list som identical, small item and test this in a more controlled way. With a full statistical work up of the results. Could even be a project for some of the young upstarts around here that are still in school.

I did some similar small scale tests like that and it would be interesting to see on a larger scale.  Just for the most part it seems so random.  I know if I list an identical product once a day for a week straight the last one will always go for the most as people think you are out and its there last chance.  That one seems to always be consistent.  Some products I get a lot of quantity and just list 2 a week and one will go for double or triple the other one.  Its just so random I don't know if you could get a consistent answer.  I've terapeaked stuff over the years and you could find certain consistencies with selling times, day of week etc but then would try the same item on the "best selling time and day" vs the so called worst and the worst day would go for more than the best.  In the end I think it comes down to who happens to be looking for that particular item when it is active at that time.  The product also matters.  You could list an Ipod and it will sell for pretty much the same every time throughout the day any day of the week.  Now if you have that one rare item that only comes along once in awhile it needs that buyer to be looking for it at that time.  Thats why those type items are usually best with fixed price and / or best offer.  

• Like 2

had the TRS status for years ... have nearly 4000 positive feedbacks and about 2700 are unique ... never did offer returns and never will ...

i of course do refunds or take returns on a case to case basis ...

my sales are very good depending on the product and when in the year it is listed ...

From your transaction levels it sounds like you have first hand experience and it is real.

I would probably also say that with your sale volume and if you get significant $ discount it can be worth a few lousy returns.

Since I am smaller I d rather have it safe but I'll probably opt in next year when required to. You all are wearing on me!

Yeah I've been on ebay since 1999 , Its been my full time job since 2000.  I quit my retail store manager job at the time and been doing it ever since.  I just like buying and selling stuff.  Pretty much how I started getting into the Lego as they would come in on our Amazon box damage loads and Walmart.com loads (back in mid 2000s).  Had Eiffel Tower and UCS MF come in on the same truck and sold them back then for $500ish.  Mainly buy stuff by the truckload and still deal with Amazon returns/DC load box damage to this day.  Seen a ton of changes over the years and just have had to adapt to keep meeting the new standards / rules they come up with.  Its had its ups and downs just like any job but its been fun to do and never really thought I'd be doing it 15 years later with no plans of stopping.  Everyones situation is different from large sellers to smaller sellers so there is not one right answer.  Whatever works for you is all that matters!

I did some similar small scale tests like that and it would be interesting to see on a larger scale.  Just for the most part it seems so random.  I know if I list an identical product once a day for a week straight the last one will always go for the most as people think you are out and its there last chance.  That one seems to always be consistent.  Some products I get a lot of quantity and just list 2 a week and one will go for double or triple the other one.  Its just so random I don't know if you could get a consistent answer.  I've terapeaked stuff over the years and you could find certain consistencies with selling times, day of week etc but then would try the same item on the "best selling time and day" vs the so called worst and the worst day would go for more than the best.  In the end I think it comes down to who happens to be looking for that particular item when it is active at that time.  The product also matters.  You could list an Ipod and it will sell for pretty much the same every time throughout the day any day of the week.  Now if you have that one rare item that only comes along once in awhile it needs that buyer to be looking for it at that time.  Thats why those type items are usually best with fixed price and / or best offer.

Agreed with the randomness of sales, it really just boils down to who looks at a given listing.

I accidentally listed as willing to ship global and when a gentleman from Singapore purchases, I felt inclined to follow through with the shipping. I received payment and shipped to the USA shipping location with the very long reference number on the envelope.

It's not very expensive, just a few lego figures, but what has been your experiences with global shipping? Do they open up and inspect contents and then repackage? I added an additional figure that was not part of the purchase?

I only ask all of these questions because I have tried many times unsuccessfully to get eBay on the phone! Thank you

Pretend someone who lives in Kentucky bought something from you. That is literally as complicated as GSP gets, makes international selling very easy. I'm not sure whether they repackage, but they open it up at the least to fill out customs forms. Never had an issue from any buyers though.

Edited by gorbasho
  • Like 1

How to protect myself now that I sold my Corner Cafe on ebay

Hi,

I just sold my NISB 10182 Corner Cafe for $1750 plus shipping,  and I want to make sure that I do not get burned by the buyer of my set.  She is an ebay member since 2001 and has about has 670 as feedback score and is located in the US.  What are the fine details that I need to consider during the whole sale process to protect myself and my product??  I ask for guidance as this is the first big ticket item i have sold.....

I hope justafrog can assist me on this one !!

Thanks !!

Hi,

I just sold my NISB 10182 Corner Cafe for $1750 plus shipping,  and I want to make sure that I do not get burned by the buyer of my set.  She is an ebay member since 2001 and has about has 670 as feedback score and is located in the US.  What are the fine details that I need to consider during the whole sale process to protect myself and my product??  I ask for guidance as this is the first big ticket item i have sold.....

Thanks !!

To confirm - This is from Mexico to the US?

100% have to do insurance for the full price. Signature Confirmation - I might even go sig confirmation by the person themselves.

Pack it like you would pack a child (don't ship a child). Skimping is the way to screw yourself on a huge item. Make sure that thing could take a steam roller.

The buyer sounds good - wouldn't worry too much there. 

• Like 2

How to protect myself now that I sold my Corner Cafe on ebay

Hi,

Thanks !!

Take pictures throughout the boxing, packing, sealing, and labeling processes.

Everyone else has pretty much said it. :) I'm not clear on whether you're shipping from Mexico - I'm not familiar with what choices you have there for signature confirmation, insurance, etc., but use them. If you're shipping from the U.S., you want insurance and signature confirmation.

The buyer sounds good, so I expect you will have a good outcome.

Oh, and I hate to disagree with Exciter because he's almost always awesome ;) but there's no point in taking photos of packing, shipping, mailing etc - they prove nothing. If you were a scammer, you could take all those photos and then still send her a box of rocks, so eBay's not impressed by them in the event of dispute.

Everyone else has pretty much said it. :) I'm not clear on whether you're shipping from Mexico - I'm not familiar with what choices you have there for signature confirmation, insurance, etc., but use them. If you're shipping from the U.S., you want insurance and signature confirmation.

The buyer sounds good, so I expect you will have a good outcome.

Oh, and I hate to disagree with Exciter because he's almost always awesome ;) but there's no point in taking photos of packing, shipping, mailing etc - they prove nothing. If you were a scammer, you could take all those photos and then still send her a box of rocks, so eBay's not impressed by them in the event of dispute.

That's actually good to know. I thought I was doing myself a service by documenting what I was selling and shipping.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Question: Offer Free Shipping, or not? (Forgive me if this has been talked about elsewhere... have been searching for over an hour now and not found much...)

I've only been selling a short while, and rarely offer free shipping. I'm located in North Carolina so - in my mind - I'm probably within 1000 miles of 60% of the US population here east of the Mississippi. For me shipping, say, a Tumbler to Michigan costs about $10, but to California is more than $20.  Seems to me, if I roll in $20 to my "Free shipping" price, I may gain California buyers, but lose the east coast and midwest?

But not just bigger items... how about smaller ones?... Does free shipping really attract a LOT more buyers? Do you offer free shipping sometimes, but not others? When? Why?