WWYR: 9 Sets of Mixels Series 1 vs 1 SSD 10221

Let's play a little philosophical investing game tonight - which would you rather?

Here are the guidelines:

- You can only choose one or the other.

- Assume that you could have picked up either of these within the last month at RRP.

- I will give you no other information than what you see below, BUT - you are free to use all your resources to make a decision (Brickpicker, eBay, Amazon, etc).  I encourage you to make a strong, rational argument with the information that you have at your disposal today.

Which would you rather:  9 Sets of Mixels Series 1 or 1 SSD 10221?

- 9 Sets of Mixels Series cost $405 ($5 per Mixels times 9 Mixels in a set x 9 sets).

- 1 SSD cost $400

- Both sets are now retired

I will throw in my two cents in a little while.  Curious to hear your thoughts first.  (And, if this is well received, maybe we play this game again soon).

Guest brickcrazyhouse

I'ld go mixels. reasons: 1. first in a series, like modulars or other first in series as more people start their collections the ones they miss are more coveted. 2. not hoarded as much by resellers (not on emazers radar) 3. easier shipping mixels for shixels

SSD for me and I am a believer in Mixels.  I think the amount of SSDs hoarded is overstated.  Probably the people that have cases of Mixels aren't posting pictures of them and showing them off as much as SSD hoarders.  I disagree on the shipping, think how many different auctions and labels printed and packages to find for all those Mixels (even if you sell them as sets) versus one big box, well packed and out the door.

I think once series 3 runs its course not that many future customers are going to want to go back and get those retired Mixels.  The ones that are buying series 3 in the stores now and then realize Series 1 is retired will pay but I think there is a limit there.  Maybe 3x MSRP?  4x Max?  Then I think they might just assume get a nice expensive set for that kind of money.

Meanwhile I think the SSD will climb well over 1k and not look back.  It will be a must have for any serious SW collector, it isn't like it was out for ages like the DS and SW collectors pay premiums for the good stuff.  I just don't think there will be the kind of ceiling you might encounter with Mixels...

I disagree on the shipping, think how many different auctions and labels printed and packages to find for all those Mixels (even if you sell them as sets) versus one big box, well packed and out the door.

I'm still not posting my thoughts, but, I will say this:  I was able to package, print, and ship 3 boxes of 3 sets of Mixels in about 3 minutes tonight.

(That's actually what got me thinking about this topic).

A 6x6x6 box, one label, throw 9 Mixels in said box, tape it up.  Done.

ssd..stronger and more recognizable.

never got into mixels, I 'm guessing it will be forgotten in a few years but ppl will still know about ssd.

also I rather not have to go through the hassle of the sales of 9 sets of mixels.  I'll take the one sale with SSD and run with the profits.

What is the time frame for recouping the initial spend/profit for the investment?  Just throwing this out there but, if you just had the pure dollar amount of each investment you could nab a lot more mixels for that price, using coupons etc...

One other thing to consider is play-ability, the mixels can all be combined to make a 4th mixel for each set.

I personally like mixels and just built on last night.  I would probably do the SSD, just because I have more of a interest in SW's and my taste/preference influences some of the the items I hold onto longer.

What is the time frame for recouping the initial spend/profit for the investment?  Just throwing this out there but, if you just had the pure dollar amount of each investment you could nab a lot more mixels for that price, using coupons etc...

I purposely didn't set a rule for that.  Everyone has their own thoughts on how long they may hold onto a set.

So, my thoughts....

I don't know that there's a right or wrong answer to this.  This past week, I've been flipping Mixels Series 1 sets for 2x RRP.  Some of these sets I've been holding onto since June.  Others, I held onto for less than 24 hours.

I'm approaching a similar cost on Mixels, as I would on one SSD.  And that's part of what got me thinking about this topic.  In three months time, I've doubled my money, for the same cost as owning an SSD.  (Yes, I've been able to pick up both an SSD and Series 1 Mixels within the last three weeks).  Short term, the SSD isn't at 2x RRP.  And, if I'd be holding onto an SSD for longer than a few months, and I was worried about cash flow, then maybe that would be a problem.  (Personally, the SSD was a long hold item for me).

For me, I'm willing to hold onto the SSD until it gets well over 2x RRP.  I don't believe Mixels Series 1 is going much higher than it is now.  But who knows?  I could be wrong about that.

It was just an interesting thought/reflection that I've been able to quickly flip (which is not something I normally do, either).

• Like 1

So, my thoughts....

I don't know that there's a right or wrong answer to this.  This past week, I've been flipping Mixels Series 1 sets for 2x RRP.  Some of these sets I've been holding onto since June.  Others, I held onto for less than 24 hours.

I'm approaching a similar cost on Mixels, as I would on one SSD.  And that's part of what got me thinking about this topic.  In three months time, I've doubled my money, for the same cost as owning an SSD.  (Yes, I've been able to pick up both an SSD and Series 1 Mixels within the last three weeks).  Short term, the SSD isn't at 2x RRP.  And, if I'd be holding onto an SSD for longer than a few months, and I was worried about cash flow, then maybe that would be a problem.  (Personally, the SSD was a long hold item for me).

For me, I'm willing to hold onto the SSD until it gets well over 2x RRP.  I don't believe Mixels Series 1 is going much higher than it is now.  But who knows?  I could be wrong about that.

It was just an interesting thought/reflection that I've been able to quickly flip (which is not something I normally do, either).

Hmm, technically you did not answer your own question based on the limitations you established.  So, which one is it ? You can only choose one or the other, right ? ;)

If there was a loaded gun pointed on my head, I would choose the Mixels. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.  Worst case scenario I would have 81 individual packs to give away to 81 people for the holidays :D

Hmm, technically you did not answer your own question based on the limitations you established. So, which one is it ? You can only choose one or the other, right ? ;)

If there was a loaded gun pointed on my head, I would choose the Mixels. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Worst case scenario I would have 81 individual packs to give away to 81 people for the holidays :D

If loaded gun is involved, I would recommend SSD, because that's 18 pounds of blunt force trauma right there

• Like 1

Hmm, technically you did not answer your own question based on the limitations you established.  So, which one is it ? You can only choose one or the other, right ? ;)

If there was a loaded gun pointed on my head, I would choose the Mixels. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.  Worst case scenario I would have 81 individual packs to give away to 81 people for the holidays :D

You're right, I didn't answer my own question.  :)  I just gotta told you what's happened to me in the last month.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd go with the Mixels for the same reason.  The quick return on my money.  Larger delta on supply vs demand, today.

As of this moment in time, I could take $400 worth of Mixels, flip them for $800, buy someone's SSD for $650, have $150 in my pocket, and sell the SSD when it's higher than $800, and have even more money in my pocket (or put all that money back into investing).  Hmmm....

If loaded gun is involved, I would recommend SSD, because that's 18 pounds of blunt force trauma right there

Not just 18 pounds of BFT, but a potentially good bullet proof vest.

i'm going to go with the Mixels, as they've been good for me. am almost out of series 1 though. but i like whoever suggested 20 research institutes as well. i'd even probably take a 50/50 mix with series 2 mixels, as they've been selling as well.  i am fond of the easy ship items.

i'm going to go with the Mixels, as they've been good for me. am almost out of series 1 though. but i like whoever suggested 20 research institutes as well. i'd even probably take a 50/50 mix with series 2 mixels, as they've been selling as well.  i am fond of the easy ship items.

I was joking about RIs, though I did have a point - finding complete sets of series 1 is not a trivial feat