10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

I didn't want one but now that I can't get one I kinda want one. Funny how that works. 

I'm probably wrong, but...

I'm pretty convinced that they will be in play for the the May 4th sale.  It's the biggest day for Star Wars in the year, and I've got to think they're prepped to sell them (even at no discount), on a day that will drive extra sales toward them.  It just doesn't make business sense, to me, to leave that money on the table.

I don't have one myself; I'm holding out hope that they will be available.  I don't have anything other than my gut feeling to base this on.  But, I've seen LEGO Shop at Home show stuff as "out of stock" and magically have it back right after a sale has ended, or just in time for a sale to start.

I'm probably wrong, but...

I'm pretty convinced that they will be in play for the the May 4th sale.  It's the biggest day for Star Wars in the year, and I've got to think they're prepped to sell them (even at no discount), on a day that will drive extra sales toward them.  It just doesn't make business sense, to me, to leave that money on the table.

I don't have one myself; I'm holding out hope that they will be available.  I don't have anything other than my gut feeling to base this on.  But, I've seen LEGO Shop at Home show stuff as "out of stock" and magically have it back right after a sale has ended, or just in time for a sale to start.

Alternatively, they could set it up for "I am your father" day, considering the back-order status rumors... It is certainly not as popular as May 4th, but they could try to make it more popular this way  :-)

• Like 1

I didn't want one but now that I can't get one I kinda want one. Funny how that works. 

And this is why Lego investing works :money: Also, there are people who don't even know the SSD is a thing, but when they find out they might really, really want one.  Next year when Star Wars fever comes back in full force, all of these OT sets are going to be hotcakes.

I really didn't want a SSD for myself, as I'm not that into UCS models, but I bought one for myself anyway just in case.

• Like 1

And this is why Lego investing works :money: Also, there are people who don't even know the SSD is a thing, but when they find out they might really, really want one.  Next year when Star Wars fever comes back in full force, all of these OT sets are going to be hotcakes.

I really didn't want a SSD for myself, as I'm not that into UCS models, but I bought one for myself anyway just in case.

The 10030 Star Destroyer got me back into LEGO years ago.  The SSD will do the same to many, many fans over the next couple of years.

Aaaanndddddd this is why I have way way way too many sets and not enough storage space left. I buy stuff that I find just "OK" basically as an insurance policy in case A) I like it later or B) It rockets in value.

Lost count of how many times I told my wife "worst case I'll get my money back"

• Like 2

I doubt that Lego (US) will have any SSD this Sunday. It doesn't make sense for them to have some in stock but does not sell for full price for weeks, just so that they have something to sell at a discount on May 4th? 

IMO SSD is either gone for good (more likely), or temporarily out of stock for real. It's not going to be on Sunday's menu.

I hope I'm wrong. 

I doubt that Lego (US) will have any SSD this Sunday. It doesn't make sense for them to have some in stock but does not sell for full price for weeks, just so that they have something to sell at a discount on May 4th? 

IMO SSD is either gone for good (more likely), or temporarily out of stock for real. It's not going to be on Sunday's menu.

I hope I'm wrong. 

As some people stated, they were told their backorders will be filled around end of May. If any availability happens after that, it would be in June. It is highly unlikely that TLC would keep some amount without filling backorders.

BTW, any word on GEs that are on backorder? Anyone got estimated fulfill date?

As some people stated, they were told their backorders will be filled around end of May. If any availability happens after that, it would be in June. It is highly unlikely that TLC would keep some amount without filling backorders.

BTW, any word on GEs that are on backorder? Anyone got estimated fulfill date?

I was told GE wouldn't be back until mid-June. 

When stores limit the quantity available for purchase (amazon/lego LEGO Shop at Home), does that mean a set will retire soon?

No, not necessarily. It could be just due to popularity, inventory, or policy... or whatever reason.

Some LEGO Shop at Home examples:

Mars Rover: limit 1 from day 1

Hearse: no limit (or limit 99) close to EOL

In the UK the SSD is available on back order until 12th June. The max you can purchase is 2. The may well change to 1 as stock becomes closer to zero. I got my order in for 1 after pacing the floor for two days deliberating on whether or not to spend so much money. Finally told myself I deserved it for working so hard.  :yes:

Meanwhile some crazy s*** is going on in Europe.

SSD:

• Out of stock, expected ship date 12 jun. 2014

DS: 

• Out of stock, expected ship date 5 jun. 2014
I wonder where it will end.

It will end with TLG doing more production runs of both sets to satisfy demand. 

Ill just conclude that TLG does not even know what they are doing

I think they just underestimated the demand for these sets. I could swear that SSD and DS sales increased this Spring and they did not anticipate this. I don't think that SSD was such a hot selling item before, partly due to its price and blank looks.

Please don't shut this thread down! I am hyped for Saturday, watching Episodes 1 through 6 (one per night), acquiring SSD's, and wondering how to pay for it all. This thread is the Caffeine for me without Coffee (but I need that too)...

I guess it was all a bit of an anticlimax for you then!?

emazers warned everyone several months ago about the lessons in leaving everything to the last minute. Panic buying is now in full swing. Anyone getting over the line is thinking "thank goodness" I got in on time. The rest will just have to pay after market prices. The SSD is nothing short of absolutely majestic. If this set never made a penny in profit I would still be happy to open and build it. Win win in my book.

When stores limit the quantity available for purchase (amazon/lego LEGO Shop at Home), does that mean a set will retire soon?

I think it has to do more with a bottlenecking the sets available to 1 buyer. If there were no limits, people could order 1 or 100+. People can speculate all they want, but it has to do with several factors, many of which don`t/aren`t likely to do with retirement. It could be production is short. Maybe a container carrying the sets across the ocean has gotten stuck along the line. Maybe Lego wants to see if an initial batch of sets sells or not before making more, which again would be a production issue. Plenty more, but it`s not a sign of EOL by any means. 

By Target changing its online price of the SSD to $430, does this mean they are expecting future inventory?

Strange, very Strange.

They will get new inventory sometime in June. This set has not even been out for 3 years. I don't know why folks insist it is on the chopping block. If you want a clue as to the next UCS set to go EOL then look at which ones are not backordered with the european sale. This will highlight the laggards which are the ones TLG will not keep around (remember the B-Wing?).