Buyers do not pay

Ciglione

I sold two lego sets the other week on Ebay, one with BIN and one with Auction. The two buyers still didn't pay. This is really annoying.

How many times does that happen to you? Just to see if this is occurring alot.

Several times.

Sometimes it's because they pay by check and did not advertised you, sometimes because they are on holidays and don't want to pay right now (fear of an unsecured payment), sometimes it's because they are dumb/drunk/kids.

The main problem is always the same: no communication.

It's very annoying, but you have to consider that some people are not like us and they connect on the internet like once a week...

Try to be patient and contact them, and you can even tell them that if they changed their mind you can cancel the auction (a good way for you to avoid losing too much time) and they just have to accept it, so you will not have ebay fees.

The holidays are coming up, and they are the worst time - both because you'll generally have more non-payers at that time of year, plus they'll take your stock off the market for several days just when you have the best chance of selling it.

Auctions are for liquidation for the most part, they won't bring you the best prices overall. Buy it now with immediate payment required is what I advise also.

I do require immediate payment on a majority of my items, but does anyone else have difficulty figuring out the eBay combined shipping calculator?  I feel like it isn't always accurate, especially when I try to apply rules for loose minifigures and large boxed sets which are going to be handled very differently.  Sometimes it chargers the buyers too much and other times it doesn't charge them enough.

The holidays are coming up, and they are the worst time - both because you'll generally have more non-payers at that time of year, plus they'll take your stock off the market for several days just when you have the best chance of selling it.

Auctions are for liquidation for the most part, they won't bring you the best prices overall. Buy it now with immediate payment required is what I advise also.

Yup. I am considering nixing best offer for the holidays and switching to immediate payment.

Wondering though with that will we have more buyers remorse and in turn 90 day returns.

Seems to be happening more and more to me. I usually have to open 2-3 unpaid item cases every month and maybe 1 of those will ultimately pay.  I really hate it when they tell me they need a few more days to pay and then still don't pay.

I've had this happen on Bricklink many times (I ship internationally, the sticker shock is too shocking for some). I offer to cancel when the buyer considers shipping too high, since I do not advertise up-front shipping rates (too risky for me, shipping rules get a bit complex). Still, many just do not communicate, at all. But, one kept on asking for more time. Paid others but didn't pay me. Eventually they paid me and everything worked out. After 3 weeks of waiting.

I am fine with someone changing their mind about making a purchase (it will sell again, usually for more).

What gets annoying is when someone contacts me, expressing how sorry they are, and asking me to please cancel the transaction. I respond that it would be no problem at all - but then they can't even be bothered to accept the request to cancel (and I end up needing to wait another week for it to time-out, before re-listing).

If you have a store the process can be automated...maybe even if you don't? I don't see them much but if I remember right all you have to do is wait until the grace periods have run out and then click a button to get your FVF refunded. I used to stress over non paying, now I don't care since i don't have to deal with them. Switching to immediate payment seems to have helped but I still see a couple slip through (no idea how).

Yup. I am considering nixing best offer for the holidays and switching to immediate payment.

Wondering though with that will we have more buyers remorse and in turn 90 day returns.

The new update coming this fall should help out:

Buyers can request a cancellation if they change their mind within an hour after the sale (as long as you haven

When buyers do not pay right away I generally send them a revised invoice daily for 3 days in a row.  After that depending upon buyer feedback ratings, generally I open an unpaid item case.  If a person has a lot of purchases with excellent feedback I can cut them a few more days time before I do that.

I am fine with someone changing their mind about making a purchase (it will sell again, usually for more).

What gets annoying is when someone contacts me, expressing how sorry they are, and asking me to please cancel the transaction. I respond that it would be no problem at all - but then they can't even be bothered to accept the request to cancel (and I end up needing to wait another week for it to time-out, before re-listing).

Yes that's another annoying part...

BTW this afternoon I received a payment with paypal for an item bought 2 days and a half ago.

I thought I would receive a check. I think he bought the item thanks to his smartphone and paid once at home.

I am ok to be cool with customers but sometimes they are so lazy, they even don't say "sorry I will pay later" (I'm ok with that) or reply to my messages, it really annoys me sometimes...

Last year around christmas time I sold a technic crane (8053, MISB). The buyer had a completely new ebay account (zero feedback, account just opened). After 12 days of no payment (and me mailing the woman 2 times with no response) I researched her phone number, but didn't find her name in the phone book. But there was a number with the same family name in that street and town, so I gave them a call... it was her mother. I told her that I'm an ebay seller waiting for her daughter's payment for two weeks. She took care of that and the next day I received the money and sent her the article :victory:

Unfortunately it doesn't always work like that!

• Like 1

It happens to me pretty often.  Usually the guy won't pay and I won't ever hear from him or they don't pay because they said that they made a mistake and they were buying the wrong thing.  It is freakin' annoying.  Whenever I buy I always double and triple check all the info before I place a bid or click the buy it now button.  I don't want to be one of those idiots screwing up a seller because I know what it feels like when someone does it to me.

I sold two lego sets the other week on Ebay, one with BIN and one with Auction. The two buyers still didn't pay. This is really annoying.

How many times does that happen to you? Just to see if this is occurring alot.

it's happening with buyers on every site except amazon (they have bigger probs with returns)  it stinks but part of the game we play :(

Reading this makes me not even want to start with ebay. Better stick to free national sites.

When you want to sell internationally, you just can't ignore ebay.

Belgium = 11 millions people

European Union (no import fees, shipping not that expensive) = 507 millions people

Non paying buyers are way better than buyers who pay. Have you ship item to their cousin as their confirmed Paypal address.  It has signature confirmation because of the price, and Fedex tries to deliver all week, then holds it the next week in the distribution center for pickup.  The buyer or cousin never pick up the item, Fedex tacks on shipping charges to send it back to me the seller.  Then seller is expected to just eat the cost of shipping their item out, then paying to ship it home. Though I did learn something very interesting about ebay vs paypal claims it was not worth $45 round trip shipping costs. Imagine if this had been a DS or SSD what the roundtrip shipping cost could have been.

When buyers do not pay right away I generally send them a revised invoice daily for 3 days in a row. After that depending upon buyer feedback ratings, generally I open an unpaid item case. If a person has a lot of purchases with excellent feedback I can cut them a few more days time before I do that.

How has this worked for you? I generally send a reminder at 2 days interval. Have you got any retaliatory feedback because of this?

The last time I sent a reminder, the buyer ended up paying using a check (not sure if it's done on purpose) that took way longer to clear.

I will send the invoice within an hour or two of completed sell if the buyer does not pay immediately. After that I give them 2 days and then I send a polite reminder message. If they don't respond I let the unpaid item assistance open the case automatically. If they say they need more time I turn off the unpaid item assistant so a case is not automatically opened. After that I give them another 2-3 days and will send another message. If they don't respond within a day I open the unpaid item case and then it's another 3-4 days for that to close. It's a real hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 1