Which big Star Wars exclusive should I focus on now?

lobo1969

Star Wars Exlcusives  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best long term investment choice?

• 75059 Sandcrawler
    • 10240 Red Five X-Wing
    • 10225 R2-D2
    • 10236 Ewok Village
    • Hold out for UCS Slave 1!
    • 10188 Death Star can still kick butt EOL!

Like already mentioned, buy R2 and DS sets.

The other sets should be available for a while.

There had only been 1 Lego Sandcrawler (10144). before 75059. When you think it's near retirement, buy as many as you can. Orig Trilogy fans like myself go nutty over that vehicle. It's popularity among SW fans surprises most people. For some reason, people like me are still fascinated with Jawas even after nearly 4 decades. While not as popular as say the Falcon and X-Wing, it's a dark horse.

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

I find the sandcrawler as exciting for display as a Borg Cube... great minifigs, but the structure itself is important for display. I'd be surprised (not really) if it would be such a huge seller after EOL

Guest TabbyBoy

I think that R2-D2 is the no brainer with the Red 5 in second place.  However, there are still some SSDs floating around in branches of Smyths Toys and maybe elsewhere.  The B-wing appears to be a turkey as it didn't sell well, and even hung around at SaH when discounted.  As for Ewok Village (no comment), Sandcrawler and Slave, it's way too early to buy those unless you see them on offer and want to build.

The Death Star is at the very bottom of the list as it's had too long a production run, is suspected to be hoarded in it's trillions and is nothing more than a futuristic "dolls-house" for boys IMHO.  A set that I can't stand and will NEVER buy.  I think a lot are going to be disappointed with this after EOL.

R2 is certainly always going to have some popularity, it's very displayable & cross platform-able to non-Lego enthusists. but collectors horde it so there will be allot of MISBs always floating around much like the SSD. (same as the sandcrawler)

Don't count out the X-wing, it's been rehashed several times & has been around for awhile BUT if the UCS Tie fighter does make an appearance it's a natural paring that will likely payoff.

EV is a play set! - it's nearly irresistible to just break open & build (soo many interesting bits & builds) - this one will have a lesser volume of MISB remaining after it's run so this one is where the money might be hiding.  (same as Death Star)

• Like 1

Regarding Ewok Village, it was confirmed last week that Warwick Davis will be appearing in Episode 7 so it seems almost assured that we are going to get Ewoks in the new movie unless he is playing a completely different character. This could make this set more desirable. 

I find the sandcrawler as exciting for display as a Borg Cube... great minifigs, but the structure itself is important for display. I'd be surprised (not really) if it would be such a huge seller after EOL

Jawa and Sandcrawler items have always had a huge following among SW fans.  Even the old Kenner toys and the early 2000s Exclusives remark (same mold) have done well for years (and decades for the Kenner stuff).

The 10144 Sandcrawler was a huge hit after it retired.  It even reached $400 MISB on eBay and Bricklink in the late 2012. Not too bad for a $140 set that retired in early 2009. It was still raising in value until the replacement / refresh was announced.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy the newer 75059 set.  All I'm saying is that I'll be stockpiling these in another year or so when it's time. 

I would not be buying these now as there are other better options.

Guest TabbyBoy

Regarding Ewok Village, it was confirmed last week that Warwick Davis will be appearing in Episode 7 so it seems almost assured that we are going to get Ewoks in the new movie unless he is playing a completely different character. This could make this set more desirable. 

I hope not, dwarves in Teddy Bear costumes ruined ROTJ for me ;-)  Hence I hate this set nearly as much as the DS.

I think R2 is the best bet to take off on the secondary market, but LEGO could turn it into the next DS and keep it around for years to come.  The X-Wing could be retired the soonest once the UCS Slave 1 and rumored TIE Fighter come out next year.  I can't see them keeping all 3 of those vehicles around at the same time for long.  Shelf space, production capacity and all that.

I hope not, dwarves in Teddy Bear costumes ruined ROTJ for me ;-)  Hence I hate this set nearly as much as the DS.

This kind of confirms they will be in Endor at some point http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/570831/20141027/star-wars-episode-7-spoilers-leaked-han.htm#.VFEWcvnF-pw Also the MF has been confirmed so I think you will see a modified version for future Lego.

I know its not even out, but Slave 1 is going to be pretty amazing.  Several years before we even think about retirement, but I think the ROI in the long run on Slave 1 will be very good.  Boba Fett has always held this strange, cultish standard within the hearts of us Star Wars fans. 

R2D2 for sure....

But from my perspective as a huge SW fan, Lego fan and professionaly speaking....these three mixed together really cloud my vision and the future impossible to see is. The Danish side clouds everything!

- in terms of pure cool & design effect the x-wing, sandcrawler and slave I will be the ones to get. All the space crafts designed in the original trilogy look nothing short of spectacular. Turn that into UCs and things are easy....however. SD, SSD, MF etc...

- why keep xwing and slave I on the shelves for long? Same price and same piece count. Logic says, x wing is going to surprise us as the TH did. Anyone think this set isnt awesome should check his head with the doctor... I have it for personal and investment purposes.

- what about the sandcrawler, is it really the replacement of the SSD as a flagship....i dont think so. Its 3000+ pieces and again too early to tell and plentyof time to figure out. The next 12 months will tell what legos steategy about this set is and what place in the food chain it takes...

- r2d2, i think its days are numbered. But my guess is as good as anybody's....

- DS and EV, i dont take these seriously and i cant see myself spending hundreds on these sets after EOL just to own one, while for the MF and SSD i would! This is me thinking if i was to buy them....

- Slave I...no brainer either. But i see it doing similar to the Tumbler, people will be wetting their pants when they see it.

Poor ol' Sandcrawler lol, It has potential in the future for investment, although its a redesign, re- release I think it will hold its own in time.

How many have you watched the Jawa scenes from Star Wars IV and quietly said to themselves " I wonder if Lego will remake and get this build right" ??

Once R2 hits EOL and the new trilogy is in the can, R2 will be a must have for the causal UCS fan's collection or investment piece

Edited by NZ-EUG

• 2 weeks later...