Tech-savvy James Cameron hates Twitter

TheOrcKing

From USA Today, here is a less serious article that I found interesting.

I was the first person I knew to have a cellphone in my car in 1983. At that point it was intriguing. Now I just see it as a ball and chain. I don't want to be that available to the world. I don't want to share every single thing I do. I look around the airport, and every single person is oblivious to the world around them. They don't live in the moment. I've made a conscious choice to not spend all my time ... looking down at a device. I refuse to do it. So there you have it. I'm a Luddite. But I'm a high-tech Luddite.

Twitter is just an information source if you want it to be.  You don't have to tweet anything or follow idiots.  I think Facebook is High School all over again and makes people feel bad about their current lives.  I really dislike it.  I have to agree with him though, people are so immersed in their phones and Ipads that they forget how to act in the real world.  People are more rude, self centered and inconsiderate than ever.  

Twitter is just an information source if you want it to be.  You don't have to tweet anything or follow idiots.  I think Facebook is High School all over again and makes people feel bad about their current lives.  I really dislike it.  I have to agree with him though, people are so immersed in their phones and Ipads that they forget how to act in the real world.  People are more rude, self centered and inconsiderate than ever.  

I'm not on FB, but the wife is, she shows me stuff sometimes that makes me feel pretty damn good about myself, there are some real losers out there.

I'm an IT guy and I don't have a cell phone... for that exact reason. I refuse to be accessible all the time to anyone including for work and I know myself - I'd be one of those rude people always looking at their phones. I have an iPod Touch that I use at home where I'd be accessible via regular phone anyways.

I like Facebook to keep in touch with good friends who've moved away but I don't just "friend" anyone so my social circle is limited to people I really do enjoy reading about what's going on. There are a couple who like to take pictures of their food in a restaurant, but most of my friends" like to post funny status updates or post pictures of their kids and other interesting things they are doing.

He has a point for sure. I sometimes use Facebook to promote my business, but the social end of it is utter tedium.

I only ever go on twitter if there is an amazing news story breaking or something, it can be good for that, thought not the most reliable source of info to say the least.

I only have a work Blackberry and yes, it sucks.  I'd like to have Internet access handy from time-to-time for checking prices and such, but I can live without it.

I did sign-up for Twitter the other day, because Jeff Mack said, "Oooooh, look at this cool Twitter Daily Deals thing".

Every generation freaks out about changes - in technology, in music, in society, you name it.

Television and rock and roll music were going to be the end of us all at one point. Texting and Twitter are the new bogeymen.

People are people and we learn from each other, there's no point in blaming it on the poor machines or musical notes. When I was pregnant with my first child, I asked the mom of the nicest, best-behaved young adults I've ever known what her parenting secrets were.

She said it was simple - always treat your children exactly the way you want them to treat you and others. From the time her children were infants, she knocked on their doors and waited for their permission (just a few seconds for a newborn who couldn't give it, but for actual permission by the time they were toddlers) to enter their bedrooms. Guess who had children who never had any problem respecting anyone else's privacy?

Treat people the way you would like to be treated. Some of them were raised wrong enough it won't help, they'll still be what they were taught to be. Many of them, however, will respond in exactly the tone and attitude you use with them, because someone along the line treated them with enough respect or compassion that they know how to reciprocate.