Open a second ebay account on my wife's name

Ciglione

You are allowed multiple accounts under your own name so I don't see the need to use your wife. Ebay also matches up accounts by IP addresses and paypal accounts and IP login addresses so changing credit cards and names would not help either way. Just don't try and be smart and make duplicate listings to spam search or you will get permanently banned quite quickly. You are allowed as many accounts and stores as you desire as long as you play by the rules. Currently ebay does not aggregate defects across accounts but that may change down the line.

Check the rules in your country just to be sure, but in the U.S. you can have basically as many accounts as you like, provided you aren't using them for any nefarious purpose.

eBay sees the sense in having a buying and a selling account, for example, or in selling your line of women's bras separately from your line of children's toys. ;)

Check the rules in your country just to be sure, but in the U.S. you can have basically as many accounts as you like, provided you aren't using them for any nefarious purpose.

eBay sees the sense in having a buying and a selling account, for example, or in selling your line of women's bras separately from your line of children's toys. ;)

You are on to me!

Yeah, I have two accounts in my name.  Unless you are bidding on your own items or some non-sense like that you'll be fine.  I did it a while ago because I had a store under one username, but they were giving away free auctions to non-store users.  I also use the second account for personal items and when I buy Lego on ebay (so someone doesn't see that I bought a set for $25 and am now trying to flip it for $80)

I just want to have more advertisement space to sell my legos. The maximum of 20 per month is not sufficient anymore. I always have to remove one to put another.

So if you are saying it is no problem I can give it a try to open another one.

Call eBay and ask them to increase it, they have a system that calculates how much they will allow. If you out the request in, they will upgrade the account quickly. When I got back into selling in December I called them 2 weeks later begging them as it wasn't enough. They did so right away.

Call eBay and ask them to increase it, they have a system that calculates how much they will allow. If you out the request in, they will upgrade the account quickly. When I got back into selling in December I called them 2 weeks later begging them as it wasn't enough. They did so right away.

Thanks, I thought about this but you do not have to pay a fixed fee if you increase to 20+? I thought they would then treat you as a professional seller and not a private seller.

I created a 2nd eBay account to sell non-Lego items. I don't recall requesting for higher limits, but one account can list 100 items, the other 750 items. Either way, they both must've been upgraded if you can only list 20. I'm not paying any monthly fee or have a store.

They may frown if you are doing it to skirt a limit...easier to just call them. A buyer account and seller account is fine, just don't use them to get around purchase limits and do not activate ebay bucks on both.

I didn't think it'd matter having eBay Bucks on both accounts as you can only buy an item with one account. Oh, but there' s a max, huh? I didn't think about that. I'll never earn that much anyway. ha

http://pages.ebay.com/rewards/faq.html

Can I earn eBay Bucks on multiple accounts?
No. There is a maximum of one (1) eBay account per person that can be enrolled in the eBay Bucks Rewards Program. Members are not allowed to have or create multiple eBay Bucks accounts to circumvent the quarterly earn limit, and it is also not permitted to combine or transfer your earn balance from one account to another. 

Thanks, I thought about this but you do not have to pay a fixed fee if you increase to 20+? I thought they would then treat you as a professional seller and not a private seller.

No additional fee for me as I maintained a seller not a business. I don't think they care really which way you go as long add they get their fees. Of course they want to limit the accounts to make sure your aren't some nut job plastering fraudulent listings but if you have a proven track record and you say your volume is increasing then they will increase you most likely. Just be prepared for a business account sales pitch.

Circumventing other sellers limits, fee avoidance (specifically using a second account only to get more free listings, for example), circumventing eBay Bucks limits, leaving yourself feedback for fake purchases back and forth through accounts, using your second account as a shill bidder, circumventing the duplicate listing policies...

... basically, if it sounds like a possible shenanigan, it's probably prohibited, don't do it across your multiple accounts.

... if it seems common sense and it harms no one including eBay or other users, it's probably allowed.

What if you sell Women's bras as children's toys?

We're talking about country dependant stuff here and the OP's point was probably not the number of items he's allowed to sell per month (for me it's 100 without ever requesting anything), but the number of items he's allowed to list without a listing fee. This varies from time to time and from country to country. Not so long ago, we Germans (if using ebay.de) had listing fees based on minimum-bid/BIN-amount and a maximum listing time of 10 days for private accounts. A larger item (in the 150-200 Euro range) could cost you ~10 Euros per month just to list, which could eat away your profits quite fast, while ebay.com had free listing for 100 items.

Now things have changed and we have 20 free listings per month, while you have a (comparatively small) listing fee.

Should be tax Id specific as it reported to the irs. Btw not a good can of worms to open

When I shoplift at Target, I prefer a really big trenchcoat.

Oh, wait, sorry, that's not the law we're talking about breaking. Reset. ;)

Holleman is correct on how PayPal should track and report it, I'm not sure if they do. Regardless, however, you must (under the law) report your income to the IRS. PayPal's reporting requirement to you and the IRS has no bearing on YOUR reporting requirement to the IRS.

• Like 1