How long do Winter Village sets stick around for?

abri123

The Post Office was only around for 2011.  The Cottage is going for the second year.  Who knows if they'll keep that for a third.  The Holiday set are always marked down 30% off after Xmas at the Lego store.

For real? I was going to hammer that double VIP point with both sets but if they are getting a 30% discount after Xmas then I'll wait!

For real? I was going to hammer that double VIP point with both sets but if they are getting a 30% discount after Xmas then I'll wait!

The only reason I would buy next month is to spend the 99 to get the free holiday set along with the double points.  The freebies is worth at least $15-20 from last year.  It depends if you feel the freebie and double point is worth more than the 30% discount and the chance of availability in January. 

Assuming they aren't all sold out due to increasing popularity and new buyers of the theme...like myself for example.

That's the chance you have to take.  I have seen those at 30% off for the last 3 years at my Lego stores.  If they are not available anymore, put your money into a different set. 

The only reason I would buy next month is to spend the 99 to get the free holiday set along with the double points.  The freebies is worth at least $15-20 from last year.  It depends if you feel the freebie and double point is worth more than the 30% discount and the chance of availability in January. 

That's the chance you have to take.  I have seen those at 30% off for the last 3 years at my Lego stores.  If they are not available anymore, put your money into a different set. 

Your BM Lego Store that is, am I correct?

Over here in Spain there's no BM store, just LEGO Shop at Home.

Last Christmas I tried to get the Winter Cottage set in December, and it was sold out online.  I don't have a local Lego store, so my only option was LEGO Shop at Home.  I am glad they rereleased it so I can buy it at retail this year.  I will wait until the winter freebee though.  Last year's sleigh is going for $20-30.  It might be different this year since there are 2 winter sets for sale at the same time.  Maybe they will go on clearance online, but building this series together has become part of our holiday tradition, so I want it before Christmas.

Last year, since the Winter Cottage was sold out, I bought a Medieval Market and replaced all of roof tiles and base plates with white ones.  I looked great and was a much better deal for the piece count.  I will take a photo this year, since I didn't think to last year.

Brook

Your BM Lego Store that is, am I correct?

Over here in Spain there's no BM store, just LEGO Shop at Home.

Also, those 30% off deals a pot luck at each store. You have to be at the right store at the right time. I lucked in in June with a 10227 & 2 9472s at 30% off. But have not seen anything since.

Guest eightbrick

The Winter Village sets will go down to 50% in store if you let them sit until February or March (that's what I did at my store, first they were at 30% off for about a month then they  dropped to 50% - lol how ironic that they couldn't move the winter themed stock in Canada xD ). I picked up 2 Cottages for 50% of CDN MSRP ($65), and I'm telling Canadian (and worldwide) investors right now that these don't seem to be too popular in store after Christmas so check 'em out in February/March! Just leave some for the rest of us ;)

With the track record of these sets, you can't go wrong at 50% off.

PS: I checked brickset and the availability went something like this:

10199 Winter Village Toy Shop: 2.5 Seasons (ended late Nov. 2011)

10216 Winter Village Bakery: 3 Seasons (ended Dec. 2012)

10222 Winter Village Post Office: 2 Seasons (ended Dec. 2012)

10229 Winter Village Cottage: 2+ Seasons?

10235 Winter Village Market 1+ Seasons?

The Winter Village sets will go down to 50% in store if you let them sit until February or March (that's what I did at my store, first they were at 30% off for about a month then they  dropped to 50% - lol how ironic that they couldn't move the winter themed stock in Canada xD ). I picked up 2 Cottages for 50% of CDN MSRP ($65), and I'm telling Canadian (and worldwide) investors right now that these don't seem to be too popular in store after Christmas so check 'em out in February/March! Just leave some for the rest of us ;)

With the track record of these sets, you can't go wrong at 50% off.

PS: I checked brickset and the availability went something like this:

10199 Winter Village Toy Shop: 2.5 Seasons (ended late Nov. 2011)

10216 Winter Village Bakery: 3 Seasons (ended Dec. 2012)

10222 Winter Village Post Office: 2 Seasons (ended Dec. 2012)

10229 Winter Village Cottage: 2+ Seasons?

10235 Winter Village Market 1+ Seasons?

Thanks for this info,  I thought each was normally one season.  I would love to find these on sale, but without a Lego store, my only option is LEGO Shop at Home.  I have never seen them discounted online.  I know last year the Cottage was sold out on line in December.

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread.

Is it a foregone conclusion that Winter Village Cottage is retired now?   I haven't seen it in stock at LEGO Shop at Home since December.   (I picked up up on the black friday weekend).

Also, I have not seen Winter Village Market on sale, marked down at my local lego store or online.  Has anyone else?

The Cottage is retired. The Market will not be discounted in the USA or Canada. It will go on clearnace once all stocks online and instore are gone.

The Winter cottage went on sale last January when I managed to pick a couple up,  this year it was sold out at shop at home before Christmas so was never on sale there.  John Lewis had a few hundred on their website around beginning of December (they were there when they had the 10% off sale) and were all gone by mid January.  I think this adds up to it going to be a rare set in the u.k at least..  Whether any can still be found in store, I haven't the foggiest.

• 2 months later...