70816 - Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

LegoSteve

I dont understand the criticism to this set... i think it is a great set, far the best from Movie sets - all are just strange cars / buildings without a value for future, when everybody forget Lego Movie. This is great spaceship - not just great looking, but also highly playable, better than old spaceships from classic space, which havent so many bricks... I think every classic space collector will want this ship and will have no problem to pay EUR 120-150 for such great spaceship - if I buy it discounted for EUR 60, I will have more than 100% profit.

This is the exactly the reason I (now 34) made this my first purchase after a long 20+ year break of Lego even before I started investing late last year.   I was able to pick up 27 Benny's from the Walmart sale at just under $47 each.   I know this set has it doubters but I feel if you wait it out the return will be worth it.

Of all the lego movie sets, this one speaks to the 30+ year old fan. 

The pirate ship is epic, but it doesn't evoke anything from my childhood. 

Now if you want to think 15-20 years out to when the current lego movie fans come out of their dark ages, then sure maybe the pirate ship becomes the big winner, but i see current AFOL's wanting Benny's ship over the Pirate ship on many levels. 

I think this set will do really well but it may be sometime. I have watched the Lego Movie hundreds of times with my 2 yr old and he was crazy about benny and his spaceship, by far the most memrable thing in the movie and his favourite. When he grows up and others hig age, that will be the one thing they all remember and want to collect the most. We may be talking about 10-15 years before these serious collectors start appearing but I still have high hopes for this set even after 3-4 years. I just think in the real long run it will be a gold mine if you can hang on that long.

• 2 months later...

Are you saying this isn't ever going to be worth more than RRP now its end of line?

The same as with something like The Malevolence or other non original trilogy SW ships. Buy very cheap and you may sell for RRP but in general, there are better investments.

Edited by outatime

The same as with something like The Malevolence or other non original trilogy SW ships. Buy very cheap and you may sell for RRP but in general, there are better investments.

You can't compare this to The Malevolence, a crappy ship from a crappy movie, even if it is Star Wars.

Benny's Spaceship should do well because it will appeal to afol's in their 30's coming out of their dark ages. It will bring back memories of the Classic Space of their childhood. It's also probably the standout set from the movie.

• Like 1

You can't compare this to The Malevolence, a crappy ship from a crappy movie, even if it is Star Wars.

Benny's Spaceship should do well because it will appeal to afol's in their 30's coming out of their dark ages. It will bring back memories of the Classic Space of their childhood. It's also probably the standout set from the movie.

I can and I did :P

The main thing Benny has going for it is that wasn´t around for a long time but the bad thing is a lot of them have been made in that short time and a lot of them are sitting in B+M stores waiting for buyers. At 30% off or more, it is a reasonable investment but the supposed future demand thanks to Classic Space argument doesn´t quite cut it with me.

In any case, time will tell!

We also need to see how Movie 2 is received and if there are appearances of any such vehicles (excuse me for being ignorant if this one was blown up or something in the first film as I didn´t see it)

Edited by valenciaeric

The ship wasn’t in the movie all that much really. It’s a nice set, decent enough parts and figs, so I think it has some potential.  The biggest problem with forecasting over RRP is that a lot of people picked this up with heavy discounts. I have 4 that I got for around 50%.  Personally I wouldn’t want to be holding of them near RRP.  

We also need to see how Movie 2 is received and if there are appearances of any such vehicles (excuse me for being ignorant if this one was blown up or something in the first film as I didn´t see it)

It's Lego, it could have been blown up multiple times and it wouldn't have mattered :)

I have quite a few of them in stock from the Walmart discount early in the year got them at 60% discount, fingers crossed they do ok, I still think that it will be a couple of years after EOL along with a new movie that the Benny character has to be in it should give it a boost around that time when new Lego movie sets arrive and people want to complete sets with the original wave.     This single set got me started collecting Lego and then investing, just as Sprocket said I am in my mid 30's, found this set that reminded me of my Space set days and brought me back to life :)  So if it did it for me then its got to do it for others!

I do wonder how the Sea Cow will fair, I have two of these plus one I built and I absolutely love this ship, its so unique!  

Not every set can be a UCS MF or a modular. Some think that if you don't get a 100% return in a months after EOL then the set is a failure. 

I think this one will do nicely. But it maybe more of a slow burn. And we are still 2 years from the next movie which may help prices for those happy to wait that long. The BP price for the UK is still approx 25% so their may be some bargains still out there. 

The LOTR 1st wave sets went EOL approx 2 years ago and only now are they starting to appreciate. Some things takes time. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Still heavily discounted at major retailers, including 25% off at Walmart.

Is anyone still bullish on this set?

Plenty of sets sell under MSRP for long periods and are fine post EOL. If the Sea Cow stays sold out/retired it might be a pretty good sign that this set doesn't have much life left in it. That means now might be a good time to get some at a discount. I still probably wouldn't load up unless the discount were 30% or more, but I am conservative by nature.

• 1 month later...

While Benny's Spaceship has been EOL in Europe since early Summer, I got surprised to see plenty of boxes of this set at the yearly Dutch Lego World convention which I visited yesterday where the Dutch toy store Intertoys has a booth (and selling everything in their LEGO store inside the convention with 10% discount). Since Intertoys hasn't been selling this set in their web-shop for several months already, I can only assume that TLG let Intertoys resell unsold boxes from the LEGO storage. Getting rid of surplus stock. But I didn't see anyone actually buying it, even though there were long queues before the check-outs with parents buying many many Lego sets for their children (or for themselves).

Edited by Haay

Still heavily discounted at major retailers, including 25% off at Walmart.

Is anyone still bullish on this set?

I like this set at 40% off or better. I got a bunch from wm at 50% and I'm thrilled with that. Thinking a two year hold.

Of course people will be calling this a bust 6 months in. Patience will pay off on this set. It's very unique. 

• Like 2

I like this set at 40% off or better. I got a bunch from wm at 50% and I'm thrilled with that. Thinking a two year hold.

Of course people will be calling this a bust 6 months in. Patience will pay off on this set. It's very unique. 

And it is a very nice set to build and display.

The demand just isn´t there for it at anything near full retail price. It´s much like the Bwing in that regard and I don´t think many people would want a Benny´s over a 9493 which cost less and has better residuals. That one was also discounted heavily but cleared from all shelves within weeks of EOL.

That is definitely good news.  I have a handful of these I got at 50% off but I haven't invested very much in LEGO Movie sets.  I just don't think the theme will do all that well.

Well there is only one set that will definitively quadruple hence I have heavily invested in it: The doubledecker couch!

The rest... meh...