I got snookered at TRU

sroster

I just hit my local TRU and was excited to see a Vampyre Castle and Vampyre Hearse on the shelves.  Scanned them and was happy to see the price of $50 and $20.  So brought them home but now realize I was stupid and didn't look at the seals.  They were both opened and scotch taped.  Of course all of the minifigures were taken out.  Just return them right?  Or worth hanging on to even without the minifigs at that price?  Think pretty much all of the value is in the minifigs, I'm not a parter outer so don't know too well.

Is anyone else having a ridiculous time with TRU? I've ordered a bunch of TB's from them online and so far, every one looks like it's been the victim of a bum drop contest. One box was so badly damaged, I couldn't believe that they would actually send product like that. I looked around in the shipping box, and found a small box of children's tooth paste in there. I didn't order any children's tooth paste to go with my TB. Looks like it was a return from someone else and they just reshipped it the next time a TB was ordered. Honestly, I'm quite disgusted with how damaged these are.... Someone's getting an earful tomorrow!

Is anyone else having a ridiculous time with TRU? I've ordered a bunch of TB's from them online and so far, every one looks like it's been the victim of a bum drop contest. One box was so badly damaged, I couldn't believe that they would actually send product like that. I looked around in the shipping box, and found a small box of children's tooth paste in there. I didn't order any children's tooth paste to go with my TB. Looks like it was a return from someone else and they just reshipped it the next time a TB was ordered. Honestly, I'm quite disgusted with how damaged these are.... Someone's getting an earful tomorrow!

I saw a Tower Bridge at a store today that looked like someone took a baseball bat to it. The seals were all broken and the only thing keeping the box closed was the security thing.

I just hit my local TRU and was excited to see a Vampyre Castle and Vampyre Hearse on the shelves. Scanned them and was happy to see the price of $50 and $20. So brought them home but now realize I was stupid and didn't look at the seals. They were both opened and scotch taped. Of course all of the minifigures were taken out. Just return them right? Or worth hanging on to even without the minifigs at that price? Think pretty much all of the value is in the minifigs, I'm not a parter outer so don't know too well.

Actually, I had a similar situation late last year with a Jabba's Place. I called Lego support, gave them a pic of my receipt, and they sent me the minifigs, can't hurt to try. ...and that was for a licensed themed set which they balk at. At $50, I would take a used VC... I would still return the $20 hearse though but do tell Lego Support about that set.

Be sure to tell them that "your child" really wants to keep the set and since it is hard to find in stores anymore, you are between a rock and a hard place. "It' s sad for a child to receive a set without the key part, minifigs,"

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I'd return them straight away and also send an email to Lego HQ copying in the cretin that runs your local TRU.  I'd also complain very loudy in-store within full earshot of other customers if this ever happened to me,  But, I never go to TRU anyway.  In the UK, I only trust Lego, John Lewis and Amazon direct.

If enough of us did this, TRU could be risking their wholesale account.

Guest TabbyBoy

Yeah that would fix the problem........not!!

Sorry SR but, I'm not the type of person that gets fobbed off easily and others in the queue have a right to know if a substandard product is for sale.  Oh yes, I forgot.... I'd contact trading standards too.  I just wish retailers would check contents of returned items and even have "Lego Approved" seals to put back on the boxes to preserve value.  In the UK, they take your address when you return an item so that they can follow up if items are missing.

yup you are correct

Sorry SR but, I'm not the type of person that gets fobbed off easily and others in the queue have a right to know if a substandard product is for sale.  Oh yes, I forgot.... I'd contact trading standards too.  I just wish retailers would check contents of returned items and even have "Lego Approved" seals to put back on the boxes to preserve value.  In the UK, they take your address when you return an item so that they can follow up if items are missing.

Yeah unfortunately in America returns have simply become business. Its ridiculous and really Walmarts fault for starting it. But most places will just let you return anything in almost any condition. its just silly.

There are people that literally return Lego sets to Walmarts fully complete - but built! They just wanted their money back.

I know because they come into the shops down here that sell returned and Damaged Walmart items. I have bought several of them when I see the minifigs and everything else seems to be in there,

It`s usually easy to tell, but it does take some time when it comes to seals. Sorry that this happened to you, but (for what it`s worth) it`s something tons of other people seem to have happening. 

You`re right. And for people who don`t think this, remember that TRU is nothing like a local or independent store. Your few/several $100 or even $1,000 in business is nothing, they don`t care, and neither will customers in store. You may think they should  know, but the reality is that even though someone may very well hear you, they aren`t going to care. Complaining very loudly only makes you look like an a******.  Stealing figures/returning opened sets isn`t going to change sadly, people will still find way to do it if they want. Best way to protect yourself is to check the boxes before purchase. 

Now if you get in store and they start accusing you of tampering, then I`d very well get loud. Honestly you could also not even bother telling them about the seals,  and just say you didn`t want them, none of the cashiers` business why you want to return. I`d probably let them know politely though, that way another customer doesn`t buy the sets once they are back on the shelf. If TRU decides to sell them anyway, nothing you can do. 

Oh no! I always spent a good minute looking at the seals lol but of course some people apparently steam open seals so you cant even tell...

I use a heater gun to get the sale/clearance sticker off.  One could essentially do so with the seals I guess.  Lego should make it so that they react to heat and turn completely black, and if that happens, make them un-returnable.

Thanks for all the responses.  Yeah, I'll just return them and forget about it.  If they are complete asshats and force me to keep them it wouldn't be the worst thing as I wouldn't mind building the VC.  I doubt that happens though, I am a CC holder and a rewards member so hopefully they don't think I am the scumbag who swiped the minifigs!

That's too bad and we all Lego lovers shares that fear and concern.

So we have a dilemma here: Do we open a package and make sure everything is there? If we don't we can never 100% sure if it's a complete set (as someone could do a fine job with heat gun to unseal and seal the sticker back), if we do then all of a sudden it's an open set now (instead of being MISB).

We might be able to report to Lego and get those minifigs back, but some set we could be storing them for years and getting the minifigs back in those cases might not be possible.

in summary, now the question is, to open (and check) or not...

I use a heater gun to get the sale/clearance sticker off.  One could essentially do so with the seals I guess.  Lego should make it so that they react to heat and turn completely black, and if that happens, make them un-returnable.

This is a really good idea. 

I saw a Chima 2-for-1 at TRU that weighed half the amount of a sealed one. I think it was missing a whole set inside, but was just taped back shut, security wire put on, back on the shelf. 

A lot of items use tamper-proof seals, not sure why Lego hasn't adopted them.  Store really need to enact a policy that prohibits returns of opened Lego.  They do this with music, movies, and video games, if you break the seal no return for you.

A lot of items use tamper-proof seals, not sure why Lego hasn't adopted them.  Store really need to enact a policy that prohibits returns of opened Lego.  They do this with music, movies, and video games, if you break the seal no return for you.

yes, there are crooks  / theft out there but also honest people with returns.  the main problem is theft returns.  it happens and not just with lego.  i remember gettibg a g1 transformation deluxe set devastator as a gift to only have my grandmother return it as weapons and the head was missing.  same goes for video games and even non-toys. 

tamper proof seals would be nice or something like the 2000s styled perforated boxes.  it's hard to returned them as unopened. 

additionally, i kinda blame lego for "some" of this (when minifigs are missing).  at least when all minifigs were put in 1 common bag per set, it was easier for return service reps (when they actually looked) to see if the minifigs were missing or could have easily been trained to look.  oh well. 

like i started, some people are just crooks.

yes, there are crooks  / theft out there but also honest people with returns.  the main problem is theft returns.  it happens and not just with lego.  i remember gettibg a g1 transformation deluxe set devastator as a gift to only have my grandmother return it as weapons and the head was missing.  same goes for video games and even non-toys. 

tamper proof seals would be nice or something like the 2000s styled perforated boxes.  it's hard to returned them as unopened. 

additionally, i kinda blame lego for "some" of this (when minifigs are missing).  at least when all minifigs were put in 1 common bag per set, it was easier for return service reps (when they actually looked) to see if the minifigs were missing or could have easily been trained to look.  oh well. 

like i started, some people are just crooks.

Sad but true.  This is one of my big fears with reselling Lego, some people are very good at removing and reapplying seals, so when someone buys a set from me and claims there aren't any minifigs in it.  I really have no way of knowing if they're lying to get a free set,  or if I bought a pilfered set  2+ years ago.

• Like 2

Sad but true. This is one of my big fears with reselling Lego, some people are very good at removing and reapplying seals, so when someone buys a set from me and claims there aren't any minifigs in it. I really have no way of knowing if they're lying to get a free set, or if I bought a pilfered set 2+ years ago.

or what if someone bought from you they opened the sealed set, steal the figs, then complain the figs is missing?

or what if someone bought from you they opened the sealed set, steal the figs, then complain the figs is missing?

that is why i don't sell via amazon and always take pics of the sets and shipping boxes before mailing.  I also let my ebay and bricklink buyers know upfront this is done to help minimize issues.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...