ebay listing

donliu

have any of you guys come across someone copying your listing details and policy. what did you do? 

I had a guy that I sold a lot to use my exact listing and pictures to try to resell it.  I contacted him and ebay and his listing was pulled since the pictures weren't his to use.  This was a few years ago, but I'm sure it happens all the time.

have any of you guys come across someone copying your listing details and policy. what did you do? 

Ignore it. If your listing and photos are accurate for your item, that's all you need to worry about.

With a little luck (it happens all the time) there will be something in your photos or listing that doesn't apply to his listing and he'll get nailed by a buyer and eBay on a not-as-described case. If not on your listing, on some other person's listing he steals. Karma is alive and well on eBay. ;)

But basically unless he's using your actual name/ user i.d. somewhere in all that, his shenanigans won't do you any harm. If you try to chase down everyone who's stealing content from you on eBay, you're going to have a time-consuming new hobby. At the very most I'd hit the "report" button on his listing and follow the prompts, and then promptly forget about it - and even that's a waste of time IMHO.

(And yes, it's happened to me many times. The first few times you feel outraged. After that, especially when they borrow text and photos that are only marginally applicable to their stuff, it gets amusing.)

• Like 1

I have to admit that I am guilty and often 'borrow' text and pictures from other posting, but i always personalize it before posting

I have done the same in the past only a few times (I'm not proud of it), but it was only when I didn't have a chance to take a pic myself and I wanted to get the auction up.  I would always use a different description though.  I haven't done that in a very long time.

I find it really annoying, especially if you have a certain unique style of photography or presentation. It's happened to me a few times (that I've noticed) and I've reported it every time. Credit due to EBay as the listings are altered/removed very quickly.

I've no time for people who can't even be bothered to take a photo or write a sentence when they're trying to sell something.

Stu.

Guest TabbyBoy

I've had manufacturers send me messages about using their stock photos but, Lego haven't so far. If I take a photo myself, I often watermark it so it's impossible to use elsewhere. If anyone does try to use one of my photos without asking, I send them a polite message first and it's often changed without fuss.

I have it happen to me a couple of times. I reported the first buyer and his listing was pulled.

The second time round I did nothing because I got paranoid, as the seller was a buyer from me and he had not left feedback. But my pictures misrepresented his listing as they showed an incomplete model that he said was complete.

There is really nothing you can do.  As long as they are not using your photos then they aren't breaking any rules.  A lot of new ebay sellers do that.  There just trying to figure it all out.  You'll just end up stressing yourself out over nothing.  If it continues to annoy you then just send them a polite message stating that you would appreciate them using there own creative writing.

EBay makes it very easy to copy any listing that is currently on there. When in posting posting something I always find a sold listing and click "sell one like this" granted I tweak the title, put my own pictures, description, and so on. With that feature it's like eBay saying they don't care if it's reused. It sucks but I don't sweat the small stuff. I don't care if someone uses mine and I unfortunately have the time to look for people copying my posts. Nothing wrong for those who do lookout for these issues but for me it's just not a hot button issue.