Biggest Losers - Class of 2014

Yes but the build experience is a subjective thing too. I hated the build of the 4x4 crawler as it is so repetitive but for a parent with young kids it could be a wonderful project to construct and play with or display.

I think that a lot of the time people value the scarcity of the product more than the intrinsic qualities it has - is Caf

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 1

I like jaisonlines method with building a set and how that helps him with his decision process, it gives perspective. Rfish has a good point about display time vs. build time. I also agree it helps to be aesthetically pleasing but to say that the build has no relevance, I'm not so sure. It's LEGO after all. Build has to factor into it at more than 1%, otherwise we would all be buying models and figurines.

Exactly. It's not really about the build factor. It's about the final product and that feeling of "wow, this set was totally with building for N hours"

While being humble, I trust my gut just as much as reading reviews. Thus when it it comes to decision time whether to invest in a set (e.g. 10225 R2 and 10226 SC that I bought used sets to build ; both reviewed here) and I have time, I build them. I was absolutely surprised by both sets in a good way. The time it took to build was totally worth it so I invested in each. Note: most of these builds are dismantled after a couple of days for space reasons.

Now I've also invested in sets that I either disliked the final product (CUUSOO / Ideas DeLorean - terrible design yet great idea) or had no interest( Town Hall, Maresk ship due to the stickers & 10221 SSD). I went with my gut and common sets sprinkled with some luck.ha

So there are many ways to pick sets. Everyone should have their own. For me, build sets that I'm on the fence about to see whether I experience the "wow factor" helps me invest.

My list for 2014 - present

1) Research Institute

Too much production runs

2) Pet shop

Hoarded

3) Palace Cinema

Hoarded

4) Fairground Mixer

What is Lego thinking??

5) All the techics sets

Too many made, too much discount all the time.

I think you all should stop right now to invest into LEGO.

The discussion clearly shows (scientifically proven) that not only the sets on the list but also every single other set will not appreciate and you shouldn't invest.

Please bring your already bought sets to my adress and I will take care of them for you.

• Like 1

5) All the techics sets

I don't understand your point. Discounts are great. :)

And there are not "too many made", well no far more (just one or two) than the previous years: there are about 11-13 made each year since 2009 (one big for $180-250, one or two medium for $100-120, two for $60-80, two for $30-40, and the rest made of $10-15-20 sets)

Nothing really new in the +80$ sets (which are the ones I would be ok to invest in)

(and one of the 2014 sets is a reissue: 42041 was called 8041 in 2010, so in fact 12 new sets, not 13)

techni10.jpg

edit: I think that everything is all about what you expect as a ROI...

Edited by biniou

1) Research Institute

Too much production runs

2) Pet shop

Hoarded

3) Palace Cinema

Hoarded

4) Fairground Mixer

What is Lego thinking??

5) All the techics sets

I hope this is mostly meant in jest.

• Like 2

1) Research Institute

Too much production runs

2) Pet shop

Hoarded

3) Palace Cinema

Hoarded

4) Fairground Mixer

What is Lego thinking??

5) All the techics sets

The modulars are the biggest losers?  That's an interesting perspective, indeed.

1) Research Institute

Too much production runs

2) Pet shop

Hoarded

3) Palace Cinema

Hoarded

4) Fairground Mixer

What is Lego thinking??

5) All the techics sets

You're joking, right? The Pet Shop and the Palace Cinema may be hoarded, but so was the Grand Emporium and that right now is inching close to $300. I don't think the modular line will ever be a loser. The modulars are awesome and a generic enough of a line that they appeal to many, many people. Who doesn't want their own city with killer buildings?

1) Research Institute

Too much production runs

2) Pet shop

Hoarded

3) Palace Cinema

Hoarded

4) Fairground Mixer

What is Lego thinking??

5) All the techics sets

If the definition of "overthinking" was to be found in that post where one of the Brickpickers wrote a kind of essay about the art of factoring VIP points into his excel sheet, then the definition of "underthinking" might be found around here somewhere... I mean, to each his own opinion, but your strategy seems to be very "unique". If these are the losers, what are the winners in your opinion then?

I'm seriously curious to know who is buying all of the $800 SSDs. Certainly not wives who would never allow such a monstrosity in their home! I mean 36 of them sold on ebay in the US alone last month. Whoever is snatching them up, it gives me hope that the Sandcrawler will appreciate nicely after retirement.

The same type of people that will be paying $1500 for one in a year or so.

• Like 2

The same type of people that will be paying $1500 for one in a year or so.

without naming names most of my sales has been who's who of the world. Basically i recognize all the names :) and i am surprised that they are buying these :P from me..... :) { obviously they don't know me }

a. international buyers mostly aristocrats

b. movie producers

c.  actors

d. wall street's whoz who

i wouldn't go as far as Ed that this would be @$1500 next year :). but i would agree with Ed that they will be the same bunch of people who would be buying these @ $1500 or $2000 or $5000

Ed, if you wish for the sake of proving the point we can put $10 bet :) and i will buy you a latte when i am in NYC area if i lose otherwise you do the same :) deal?

why i am saying this would not reach $1500 next year because i still feel that there is a lot of volume out there that needs to be absorbed. looks like there are over 56 sellers in amazon with over 400units of these listed. :) meaning that these has to be completely wiped out and the listing should be about 20-30 for it to reach in the level of $1500->$2000

Edited by newbie77

i pray the Simpsons set has a short run and is unloved by investors.

also it is in its 25th season not 20th and is the longest running sitcom and animated series in US history.

it also spawned a movie that grossed half a billion dollars 20 years after the TV series started, but ultimately this means nothing other than you have synergy between Simpsons aficionados and AFOL both competing for a limited supply.

Actually now 26th :) this is one of the few sets I actually have for my personal collection. Love it.

Guest TabbyBoy

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this thread as I didn't realise it existed until now!

I agree with the first post except that the over-produced and over-distributed Exo Suit should release the Sea Cow as the biggest stinker of 2014. I'm a HUGE fan of Steampunk and I'm sure a lot of others AFOLs are too therefore, the Sea Cow can only excel. I admit I wasn't too keen myself until I saw one built and just had to have it there and then. I've also been ordering these back-to-back during 2x VIP along with PS and R5.

Regardless of year, my biggest stinkers to date are:

9515 Malevolence - I was foolish as it was 40% off but, a hideous model from the rubbish prequels.  Nearly 2 years on, I still can't recover the

without naming names most of my sales has been who's who of the world. Basically i recognize all the names :) and i am surprised that they are buying these :P from me..... :) { obviously they don't know me }

a. international buyers mostly aristocrats

b. movie producers

c. actors

d. wall street's whoz who

i wouldn't go as far as Ed that this would be @$1500 next year :). but i would agree with Ed that they will be the same bunch of people who would be buying these @ $1500 or $2000 or $5000

Ed, if you wish for the sake of proving the point we can put $10 bet :) and i will buy you a latte when i am in NYC area if i lose otherwise you do the same :) deal?

why i am saying this would not reach $1500 next year because i still feel that there is a lot of volume out there that needs to be absorbed. looks like there are over 56 sellers in amazon with over 400units of these listed. :) meaning that these has to be completely wiped out and the listing should be about 20-30 for it to reach in the level of $1500->$2000

I expect this set to break the $1000.00 barrier this Holiday season with the new STAR WARS movie hitting the big screen at the same time. As for $1500.00 in 2016? I'll take that bet. "Rouge One" is scheduled for a December 2016 release, so the SSD can approach that level late in 2016 in my opinion. STAR WARS will dominate the news and entertainment world for years.

This post (as well as others) pretty much sums up the problem with resellers.  These are all good to great sets.  They offer fun builds, interesting minifigs and are good displays.  Just because there are more resellers than buyers (which is becoming the norm these days) doesn't make them stinkers.  I do enjoy this forum for finding good deals but I tell you the mentality of of some of these posts puts me off.  

If you're this put off by good sets that may not have a good return then simply don't buy them.  Why waste your money?  Doesn't seem very smart.  Here's a little secret that shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out:  Spend your money on exclusives.  Stick with modulars.  Otherwise there aren't any other guarantees.  Leave the discounted, fun sets to those that actually enjoy Lego.

Well I think he's right on with #2 and #3, b-wings and chima don't get much love (for good reason). The exosuit, bennys spaceshp, and especially ultra agents hq will be winners just will take longer to appreciate than some will like. 

I expect this set to break the $1000.00 barrier this Holiday season with the new STAR WARS movie hitting the big screen at the same time. As for $1500.00 in 2016? I'll take that bet. "Rouge One" is scheduled for a December 2016 release, so the SSD can approach that level late in 2016 in my opinion. STAR WARS will dominate the news and entertainment world for years.

Ah yes, that Star Wars classic French movie Rouge One, about the number one ladies lipstick colour.  :cheese:

I'm here all weeks folks, well at least until Ed bans me for taking the mick out of him  :rofl:

• Like 2