Blocks Magazine

legodad

...hello everyone... I need your help/opinion in deciding whether I should buy this latest publication in the UK, The Block Magazine. My dilemma is that I live in the US. My cost is BP 12.99 (includes shipping) which translates to US$22.08 - Quite steep for a magazine but considering it's Issue #1...

I don't want to kick myself in the butt later on when the publisher decides to sell here in the US for a lower price but at the same token, would not like to miss out if they don't and Issue 1 sells out...

Your input is greatly appreciated...

I would love to get this magazine as well but $22.08 seems pretty expensive.  I know it's issue #1, but will it really be worth anything later down the road?  Also, if it's only exclusive to the UK then maybe some of the info won't be relevant to us here in the U.S.........unless you are buying it to get ideas for MOC's or building ideas.  The prices of sets will be different, so I guess it depends on what you'll use the magazine for. 

$22 for something that you feel is a potential collectors item and something that you might feel proud to display someday is not that much. If it was $200, then I could see the dilemma. Go ahead and splurge and buy something nice for yourself. If it doesn't increase or hold value then you are out a measly $22. No big deal. What if it does increase quite a bit and you don't buy it? Then you will be kicking yourself because you wanted to save $22.

They really need an electronic edition for the iPad.... Don't these publishers know America is the largest Lego market :). Well, I think we are. Actually, I have no idea. I do know we need this mag in America and if an iPad edition brings it sooner so be it.

Anyway... If anyone wants to go partners, we can share each edition.

I also need to check Amazon UK's site.

$22 is a lot for a magazine considering a year's subscription for most, not all, costs only $20. I'ld say splurge on it though, my Barnes and Nobles imports a British Nintendo magazine that I cannot find anywhere else. It is $16 per issue but comes with figures and posters. It's a pretty sweet magazine that is about 120-150 pages long per issue. I say that if you want it, buy it, I do them same whn I can.

Now there is a magazine I may actually buy. ^_^ The section about "Your guide to starting and building your own custom Lego town" has me intrigued. I just hope most of the content isn't stuff I can find on the net with a little bit of searching or the thing is filled with useless ads.

...thanks everyone for your input... I decided to wait 'til this morning before making my decision and happy to say, I did place an order for a copy of the first issue... special thanks to terrymc4677 who said it best... BTW, the total came up to $22.62... according to the person I was in contact with, the reason why shipping cost is expensive is because it is a "one off mailing via Royal Mail" but if it becomes a monthly subscription, "the price of the magazine will be reduced and the postage will be press streamed therefore becoming much cheaper." I'm not familiar with "Royal Mail" and "press stream" so I'm assuming (do correct me if I'm wrong) that these are "1st Class Air" and "Regular Mail." Looking forward for the magazine in the mail...

• 3 weeks later...

News is this will become a monthly article starting from October. The magazine's website allows you to order the current issue and a couple other things. No word yet if there will be a digital version to download. Honestly the only section I am curious about is the building your own modular street. I hope that doesn't read like some long winded advert on buying the official modular house sets and arranging them or anything I could just browse through on the net.

Brickset

News is this will become a monthly article starting from October. The magazine's website allows you to order the current issue and a couple other things. No word yet if there will be a digital version to download. Honestly the only section I am curious about is the building your own modular street. I hope that doesn't read like some long winded advert on buying the official modular house sets and arranging them or anything I could just browse through on the net.

Brickset

I'm in UK so have a copy of the first mag they piloted. I did enjoy it overall, though did find the title of the modular article misleading, as although I was expecting a guide to how you can create and build your own street etc, it was basically just a description of the modular sets available past and present, and touched on how you could link them together in whatever order you wanted.... don't know if others who have read it agree with that statement?

• Like 1

Yes I think you are right - I was a bit disappointed as cover states "Your guide to starting and building your own custom lego town" so it is a little misleading

However, overall I was very happy with the magazine and will definitely be subscribing

• Like 1

I'm in UK so have a copy of the first mag they piloted. I did enjoy it overall, though did find the title of the modular article misleading, as although I was expecting a guide to how you can create and build your own street etc, it was basically just a description of the modular sets available past and present, and touched on how you could link them together in whatever order you wanted.... don't know if others who have read it agree with that statement?

Yes I think you are right - I was a bit disappointed as cover states "Your guide to starting and building your own custom lego town" so it is a little misleading

However, overall I was very happy with the magazine and will definitely be subscribing

Thank you both for clearing that up. Well that part of the magazine seems disappointing but the rest sounds good still.

...received the first copy a few weeks back and I'm happy to say I enjoyed reading the magazine... now that the editors are offering a yearly subscription for approximately $168, I'm seriously debating if it's worth it or now... will the quality of the articles improve, stay the same or get thrashy?... how about the number of pages, will the editors maintain it or in due time lessen...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

...so today, October 23rd-Thursday, is the release of Issue 1 of Blocks Magazine in the UK... we know for a fact that Barnes & Noble Bookstores are going to carry this magazine... has anyone seen one yet at the magazine rack or better yet, has anyone bought a copy yet?...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...