Your Lego sets/stock while selling your house etc

weakside

Courious to what members here that have large inventory or collections on display do when they list their house for sale and do open houses/showings.  Or when there's 'strangers' in the house like repair guys or hosting a large party.  Do you declutter a bit and pack most things away...put your most valuable pieces away?  Or maybe you don't care.  Not that I'm moving or selling my house anytime soon but just wonder if members had experience of some jerk or kids grabbing minifigs or a set while viewing.

My only experience is having a SW moc in the basement last year...a landscape type with lots of minifigs and small sets, after an event...I noticed Mace Windu and Yoda gone from one of my scenes!  I suspected one of my nephews or friend's kids of taking them.  Couldn't find it anywhere and I'm sure my son didn't put it somewhere or we lost it in the house.  Not a big deal...I give my nephews/friends kids Lego sets for gifts all the time but just hate when someone takes my stuff :P  Next time I'll have to check pockets or do a nanny cam lol.           

I'm getting ready to move and I am going to put my stuff an a climate controlled storage. I don't want to take a risk of my investments being stolen. Also I have a whole room full so I need to empty so they can see what the room looks like.

In the same boat. Paying $90 a month for a 10x20 storage unit.  It holds all my sets and a thousand or so books.  After it was filled up, I had to admit that I was a hoarder when it came to books and Lego.  

My next quandary is the location of the sets and books in the new house.  I thought I might build a storage in the basement, but flooding might be an issue at some point.  The attic is too hot, and the garage is detached.  I think I will just have to figure out somewhere on the main floors where I can make a 10x20 closet.  

i don't even want to think about this task.   good luck to the people that go through this.

i would probably rent a van and the sets would be the last thing i move.  the shelving units would be the second to last items to move.

personally, i wouldn't use a storage unit due to the cost and people seeing me moving lego sets back and forth (even if they were all in big brown boxes).   if it came to it, i would rather pay a friend to babysit my sets for up to a month.

i don't even want to think about this task.   good luck to the people that go through this.

i would probably rent a van and the sets would be the last thing i move.  the shelving units would be the second to last items to move.

personally, i wouldn't use a storage unit due to the cost and people seeing me moving lego sets back and forth (even if they were all in big brown boxes).   if it came to it, i would rather pay a friend to babysit my sets for up to a month.

This is basically what I have done, but I pay him in lunches!  

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/9830-packaged-sets-storage-arrangement-advice/

When staging your house for sale, it's usually a good idea to put most of your stuff in storage.  You want your house to be as clutter free as possible, it will make your house more inviting for the buyer and make it look bigger.  You want people to imagine their stuff in your house, they don't want to see your clutter.  Also, it will give you piece of mind that your valuables are locked away.

I have my display sets on a shelf that is out of reach of the little ones, so I'm not worried about kids stealing anything when they come over.  When I have a lot of people over I usually put that stuff away in a closet, just to be safe (I don't have much on display at any one time).  My display area is in my office, which is just a corner of the basement with no door or anything.  I don't think anyone would steal anything, but I just like the piece of mind.

• Like 1

Concur with naf. A well staged house will be practically empty. No way I'd leave something like that out for display. Our realtor paid for a staging expert when we sold recently, and we packed almost everything away. 

My collection is no where near what a lot of people on here have, but man it is a huge pain to do storage properly. I know I've damaged some boxes in the move here and there. 

Moving sucks, but at least in the new house I'll have a proper office where I can display some sets and boxes.