How to address potentially missing parts in sealed old sets sold?

What would you do if you sold an old set that was still sealed and the buyer receiving the set complains about missing parts? Since you did not open the set, you cannot tell if he is making up something or not. And it is known that there ARE factory sealed sets missing parts.

So, do you address the issue of potentially missing parts in a sealed set in the product description already to be "sure" no one can complain afterwards?

Or does LEGO keep parts even for old sets ready at the customer service long enough after EOL to serve those who bought some years after EOL anyway? Then there would of course not really be a problem with the missing parts... Because you could always say: "Just contact the customer service, please. They will send you the parts."

I just had this happen with a Stagecoach Escape - the buyer requested a return (through Amazon) due to her son not being able to build it because pieces were missing. I requested that she contact LEGO, and also volunteered to replace the pieces myself if she sends me a list. There's not a whole lot you can do besides that - the worst outcome is taking the return, because now not only are you out of your money but also you get an open box item back. 

Hopefully LEGO doesn't hassle her about replacing the pieces. I've never had to contact them for missing pieces myself, so I have no idea how painful/painless the process is.

The process is very easy. Go to the customer service link at shop at home. Click on the missing pieces tab. Put in the set number. Select the pieces you are missing. Enter your shipping address. If lego still has the pieces they will send them, usually no questions asked.

I just did this for a tower bridge and r2d2 that I bought used off of eBay. Both were missing one minor piece that I didn't have in my spares. It usually takes a few weeks to receive them, but it's better than spending $5 on brick link for a few missing pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I just had this happen with a Stagecoach Escape - the buyer requested a return (through Amazon) due to her son not being able to build it because pieces were missing. I requested that she contact LEGO, and also volunteered to replace the pieces myself if she sends me a list. There's not a whole lot you can do besides that - the worst outcome is taking the return, because now not only are you out of your money but also you get an open box item back. 

Hopefully LEGO doesn't hassle her about replacing the pieces. I've never had to contact them for missing pieces myself, so I have no idea how painful/painless the process is.

This just happened to me on EBay and when I received the set back as part of a return, it was actually complete and 4 of the 6 bags were still sealed.  I was very surprised he returned the set complete, with minifigs and all.  I was going to go ahead and let him file a claim, since I was reluctant to refund him, because he was abusing the EBay return system.  He later said he would drop the case if I gave him a 80% refund.  I tried to start the refund and clicked on "Refund Item" and it went all the way through without letting me change the terms to 80% of the original sale, no confirmation option or anything.  Crazy! 

You live and you learn, but the box was trashed when he returned it, so I wasn't happy about that either.  If you are issuing a refund, be careful.  If you are only giving a partial refund, I think there's an option to "Refund other than original amount" on the front of the return claim page.  I think this is the option I should have chose.  I could have called EBay and probably had them cancel the refund yada yada yada, maybe, maybe not.  I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and just told the buyer he was lucky this time and enjoy his refund.  He is on my blocked buyers list now.

Selling a MISB set wich has missing pieces is my biggest fear, by far.

If a common piece is missing the main problem will be time to get it, but if the piece is exclusive or uncommon, it may cause a bigger problems (the value of the set will determine what you have to do with the buyer).

This is something that has occasionally worries me. I suppose, under eBay rules, you are liable - assuming you used eBay.

What set is it?

Is has not happened to me yet but I started thinking about what one could do if it happened. Maybe it would be a good idea to add a comment to the product description when selling, like:

"Please note: In rare cases brand new factory-sealed LEGO sets can be missing parts, figures or bags due to packaging errors by LEGO itself. Please be aware that I cannot refund you in a case like this or replace the set as a whole. You would have to contact LEGO customer service by yourself and ask them to send you the missing parts, which is normally free of charge. Please also be aware that missing parts of a set that is officially long sold out at retail can not anymore be at LEGO's disposal."

• Like 3

I think simply putting a disclaimer like rfish has would be fine, or putting "sold as is."  Take lots of pictures of the seals to back up your side of the story that the set was truly sealed.

Having said that, I ran into this issue once before.  I contacted Lego on the customer's behalf and they sent the missing parts to them no problem.  If it's an older set and lego doesn't carry the part I would probably offer to buy the parts for them off bricklink if they really start complaining.

I had this happen to me once on a 10222. It had a unique piece and since I built it about 2 years after EOL they could not provide me with the missing part.

Luckly it happened to me, if it had happened to a buyer, it would've been really really not fun at all.

Is has not happened to me yet but I started thinking about what one could do if it happened. Maybe it would be a good idea to add a comment to the product description when selling, like:

"Please note: In rare cases brand new factory-sealed LEGO sets can be missing parts, figures or bags due to packaging errors by LEGO itself. Please be aware that I cannot refund you in a case like this or replace the set as a whole. You would have to contact LEGO customer service by yourself and ask them to send you the missing parts, which is normally free of charge. Please also be aware that missing parts of a set that is officially long sold out at retail can not anymore be at LEGO's disposal."

I don't think this would over-ride Ebay's Money back guarantee policy if the buyer really anted to make an issue of it.

I think simply putting a disclaimer like rfish has would be fine, or putting "sold as is."  Take lots of pictures of the seals to back up your side of the story that the set was truly sealed.

Having said that, I ran into this issue once before.  I contacted Lego on the customer's behalf and they sent the missing parts to them no problem.  If it's an older set and lego doesn't carry the part I would probably offer to buy the parts for them off bricklink if they really start complaining.

This is probably a good idea. Worst case scenario would be if you sold a 10179 MF or 10182 Cafe Corner sealed and it was missing a bag. You're lose in 2 ways if they want to return it. One, they have opened your sealed box, possibly halving the value. And you cannot even resell it as used because its not complete.

I don't think this would over-ride Ebay's Money back guarantee policy if the buyer really anted to make an issue of it.

This is probably a good idea. Worst case scenario would be if you sold a 10179 MF or 10182 Cafe Corner sealed and it was missing a bag. You're lose in 2 ways if they want to return it. One, they have opened your sealed box, possibly halving the value. And you cannot even resell it as used because its not complete.

That's the risk in this game.  I mean, the buyer could just claim that parts are missing to get a free return if they get buyers remorse on making a big purchase, and it doesn't look like there's much that can be done about it other than taking the loss and blocking that buyer.  Has anyone actually won an ebay case as a seller where the buyer claimed a sealed set was incomplete?