Ebay Outreach Seller appointment was a big fat pile of you know what

I am sure others of you have done this that have sold longer than me.

Ebay called me to set up an appointment with a "highly trained Ebay Sales expert" that would help me and tell me abotu my listings, how they could be better, how I could continue as a seller in the best regards and yada yada yada.

So I thought - well why not? I knew I would probably not get anyone who was going to help me with anything, but it was worth a shot. I had some pretty direct questions about some of the new changes, etc. and wouldn't mind hearing anyone's suggestions about my listings.

Ebay has no shame.

Though they propped this up as helping me sell to my best abilities, it was pure and simple a sales call for Ebay to sell me on upping my subscription and promoting their defect rating and other features. They gave me no personal advice and in fact didn't seem to care and just changed the subject when I asked about my specific listings. 

Maybe others had better luck, but I asked some rough questions after I realized it wasn't going anymore. Glad they were recording it - my "selling expert" got pretty frustrated and flustered even though I was cool as a cucumber.

Defect Rating

• They pointed out most of my case issues were "not as described" and "not received"
  • She told me I should make sure I describe my listings better. I told her that a lot of people just don't read and I sell things that can be misconstrued (no minifigure sets). I said that I thought it was weird I get penalized for them not reading and opening up a case even though I had never had a case end without resolution
    • Her response was: Well we are trying to make it so that they contact you before hand with a note.
    • I said: At this point we have established they can't read so how does that help? Why not make they contact the buyer first (i.e. a message has to be sent between parties before a case can open)
    • At this point she ignored it and continued down her script
  • She asked about why my items may not have gotten there.
    • My response: USPS is worthless
    • She responded: Oh. Well it seems sometimes packages are late.
    • My Response: So again, does it seem right I get a defect for that? Shouldn't it matter just that I shipped it next day?
    • She Responded: Well I am sure it wont happen enough that it matters...

Listings

• I asked about listing improvements and she just mentioned no specifics (I should use big pictures, descriptions).
  • I specifically asked about mine and she said "they look good right now".
  • She told me I should use GSP. When I indicated why I didn't like it (none of my buyers like it), she told me that I was incorrect and buyers like it.
  • She told me I should buy a higher subscription because I am close to having enough listings that it would even out. When I asked the benefits, she just said she would send me a link after the call (didn't).
  • She congratulated me for being top rated and reminded me I would have to offer 3 month returns at Christmas
  • She also asked me if I was planning on growing. I said no because I don't have enough time and she said that was unfortunate.

We had a whole conversation (where she got frustrated) about the defect rate in general and the tracking and shipping requirements and shipping next day, etc. She basically deflected the questions until I asked a new one.

Eventually 20 minutes into the call she just randomly transitioned into her ending. I waited for her to ask me if I had anymore questions. She actually didn't ask - just said thanks and got off. lol.

Never got the email.

So I know pretty much no more at all. Good stuff.

• Like 5

I am sure others of you have done this that have sold longer than me.

Ebay called me to set up an appointment with a "highly trained Ebay Sales expert" that would help me and tell me abotu my listings, how they could be better, how I could continue as a seller in the best regards and yada yada yada.

So I thought - well why not? I knew I would probably not get anyone who was going to help me with anything, but it was worth a shot. I had some pretty direct questions about some of the new changes, etc. and wouldn't mind hearing anyone's suggestions about my listings.

Ebay has no shame.

Though they propped this up as helping me sell to my best abilities, it was pure and simple a sales call for Ebay to sell me on upping my subscription and promoting their defect rating and other features. They gave me no personal advice and in fact didn't seem to care and just changed the subject when I asked about my specific listings. 

Maybe others had better luck, but I asked some rough questions after I realized it wasn't going anymore. Glad they were recording it - my "selling expert" got pretty frustrated and flustered even though I was cool as a cucumber.

Defect Rating

• They pointed out most of my case issues were "not as described" and "not received"
  • She told me I should make sure I describe my listings better. I told her that a lot of people just don't read and I sell things that can be misconstrued (no minifigure sets). I said that I thought it was weird I get penalized for them not reading and opening up a case even though I had never had a case end without resolution
    • Her response was: Well we are trying to make it so that they contact you before hand with a note.
    • I said: At this point we have established they can't read so how does that help? Why not make they contact the buyer first (i.e. a message has to be sent between parties before a case can open)
    • At this point she ignored it and continued down her script
  • She asked about why my items may not have gotten there.
    • My response: USPS is worthless
    • She responded: Oh. Well it seems sometimes packages are late.
    • My Response: So again, does it seem right I get a defect for that? Shouldn't it matter just that I shipped it next day?
    • She Responded: Well I am sure it wont happen enough that it matters...

Listings

• I asked about listing improvements and she just mentioned no specifics (I should use big pictures, descriptions).
  • I specifically asked about mine and she said "they look good right now".
  • She told me I should use GSP. When I indicated why I didn't like it (none of my buyers like it), she told me that I was incorrect and buyers like it.
  • She told me I should buy a higher subscription because I am close to having enough listings that it would even out. When I asked the benefits, she just said she would send me a link after the call (didn't).
  • She congratulated me for being top rated and reminded me I would have to offer 3 month returns at Christmas
  • She also asked me if I was planning on growing. I said no because I don't have enough time and she said that was unfortunate.

We had a whole conversation (where she got frustrated) about the defect rate in general and the tracking and shipping requirements and shipping next day, etc. She basically deflected the questions until I asked a new one.

Eventually 20 minutes into the call she just randomly transitioned into her ending. I waited for her to ask me if I had anymore questions. She actually didn't ask - just said thanks and got off. lol.

Never got the email.

So I know pretty much no more at all. Good stuff.

Wanna post it to their Facebook page?

• Like 1

Ebay are 'annoying' me at the minute too (Ebay UK).

Back in October, a buyer who bought 3 items for me unfairly gave me a low DSR score on dispatch time for all three items, even though I shipped the next day.

A couple of months back I got one more from another buyer so for dispatch time, I am listed as 'below standard' by ebay.

Because I don't sell very much a month, my percentage of low ratings stayed within the 'below standard' range.

I have now received a seller restriction by ebay and am only allowed to sell 6 items or

It's too bad ebay is more interested in upgrading subscriptions than on improving what they already have and more focused on getting a few cents per listing upfront rather than more $ later on with more (fixed) listings. It never ceases to amaze me how publicly trade companies can be so short term minded.