Item returned due to buyer's wrong address

Brickrunner

So I had a buyer contact me saying the item he purchased is getting sent back to me because he moved.  I sent the item to his confirmed PayPal address so the error is on his part.

He is asking that once I receive it, that I send it to his new address.  How do I do this without getting burned?  It seems like I wouldn't be protected if I ship it to a non confirmed PayPal address.  Is there a way for me to request that he pay the 2nd shipping charge?  If he pays a 2nd shipping charge with a correct confirmed PayPal address, will I be covered for the full amount if he would try to open an item not received case?

Any suggestions on how to do deal with this would be greatly appreciated!

If we are talking something small and low shipping charges, I would just reship it. Its frustrating and obviously not your fault, but there is not a ton of risk.

However, make sure it is verified through paypal. If its not, tell him it needs to be.

As far as Ebay is concerned you will be in the right. I had this happen before.

If you want to request he pay the charges, send him a paypal invoice for them.

• Like 1

It's happened to me twice.  Both time items were small.  I took a cell phone picture of the label, uploaded it to my computer and sent it to the buyer saying that they will have to pay X amount for me to ship it again.  Although, keep in mind that, I do offer a complete refund if they don't want to pay for shipping a second time.

• Like 1

I don't now, I would act in different ways depending on the price of the shipping and of the item.

Its a minifigure, so shipping is realtively cheap.  I don't like it, but I'll eat the second shipping cost - I just want to make sure I'm protected if he tried to pull some shenanigans claiming he didn't receive it since I would be sending it to an address that didn't match the one that he paid with.

Its a minifigure, so shipping is realtively cheap.  I don't like it, but I'll eat the second shipping cost - I just want to make sure I'm protected if he tried to pull some shenanigans claiming he didn't receive it since I would be sending it to an address that didn't match the one that he paid with.

I wouldn't waste any time worrying about it.

Provided he sent the messages to you regarding the wrong address etc. through eBay messages, it doesn't matter if he's verified through PayPal or using a verified address - eBay will look at the messages back and forth in case of dispute and side with you if you send it and it's delivered where he tells you to send it.

• Like 1

This has got me thinking about if it was a larger purchase - Wouldn't it be good idea to have him change his paypal address to new one and then you could send him new invoice for cost of reshipping?

Sure, if the seller wanted to charge for the second shipment (which is certainly reasonable) it's probably a good idea to remind the buyer to change their shipping address in PayPal once they pay.

I wouldn't waste any time worrying about it.

Provided he sent the messages to you regarding the wrong address etc. through eBay messages, it doesn't matter if he's verified through PayPal or using a verified address - eBay will look at the messages back and forth in case of dispute and side with you if you send it and it's delivered where he tells you to send it.

This. I would also just eat the shipping charge on something cheap, but I would invoice if it wasn't and your average reasonablebuyer should have no problem paying the 2nd shipping charge. This situation has actually happened to me many times with new obeyers having their address written into ebay/paypal incorrectly and the package being unable to be delivered.

• 1 month later...