Is this the new 10179/MF that's rumored for 2015?

p8nt4lyfe

LEGO won't release a 650-700$ set, because that is about how much a new 10179 would cost with today's prices. Also it wouldn't fit the new UCS style. 

Actually demand is not that high for such an expensive set. The prices you see are the result of a very limited supply. I don't believe it would be a wise choice to re-release the 10179. As I said before a large play set is more likely and owners of the 10179 would buy it I guess because it is different. It also covers a larger consumer base. Everything is in the favour of a ~3000 piece play set now, I just can't argue for a re-release logically. Too many cons and the other concept has too many pros form LEGO's viewpoint.

• Like 1

Have to agree with most others ... to me, the MF pictured by the OP appears to be just an art piece to hang on the wall.  It looks like it is just the top surface of the ship (with no bottom) mounted on the wall.  Certainly just something they MOC'ed for this particular contest, to put in this kid's room.

I was lucky enough to buy the MF 10179 last week, for a fair price.

I took the plunge regardless of the all the online rumours MF of the TLG re releasing the 10179. Due to the leaked appearance in new trilogy.

If it does happen, then most collectors will buy the new one, weather its going to the same build and piece count that is the real nagging question to be addressed.

I don't think a new set be it bigger or smaller will de value the iconic-ness of the 10179.

I never thought I'd get chance to own one, due to the inflated value of second hand sets and new sealed ones are just too expensive. I guess it's a sellers market.

If the MF is still flying around some 30 years in the future, it will probably have some noticeable differences compared to the original. Even if there isn't another UCS MF, there will almost assuredly be a set at least on par in size with the current MF, but made to look like the 'new' MF from Episode VII. I don't see prices of 10179 ever really tanking.

From LEGO's POV, the $500 set did NOT work.. They had to discount them to get rid of them at the end.

The fact that the market is paying 6x that now is irrelevant.  As someone said, people are buying for scarcity now,

Like the people that really wanted that 10,000 piece Sandcrawler, "i want, must have".. Would you pay $1100 for it?  

Well, no, I'd wait for a sale.

Like sports cards, if Lego did a big Falcon again, everyone would grab one waiting for that day and boom, have another UCS B-wing on our hands.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

post-43747-14174806305658_thumb.jpg

It appears by this photo that the MF is still missing it's radar dish, after the the DS II trench run in Episode VI

Or is it new half round flat slightly raised, patch up job by Chewie & Lando?

But this begs the question will TLG release a new UCS version of the MF. To capitalise on the release of the new trilogy ?

The only thing I know for sure is that the street value of my 10179 has just doubled in value after the release of that trailer lol

LEGO won't release a 650-700$ set, because that is about how much a new 10179 would cost with today's prices. Also it wouldn't fit the new UCS style. 

Actually demand is not that high for such an expensive set. The prices you see are the result of a very limited supply. I don't believe it would be a wise choice to re-release the 10179. As I said before a large play set is more likely and owners of the 10179 would buy it I guess because it is different. It also covers a larger consumer base. Everything is in the favour of a ~3000 piece play set now, I just can't argue for a re-release logically. Too many cons and the other concept has too many pros form LEGO's viewpoint.

Yeah I think this is the most likely scenario. The success of the DS and relatively modest performance of the SSD is a sign of things to come for the forseeable future I think.

Yeah I think this is the most likely scenario. The success of the DS and relatively modest performance of the SSD is a sign of things to come for the forseeable future I think.

The people that think there will be a re-release are more of the "I don't have it, I want it, but I don't want to pay for it crowd", with a little "I am going to load up on them to make a ton in the aftermarket" (not realizing that everyone else will and it will be a Death Star scenario).

If you want one, buy one.... Or don't

• Like 1

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBrickpicker Forum1417480617.969819.jpg

It appears by this photo that the MF is still missing it's radar dish, after the the DS II trench run in Episode VI

Or is it new half round flat slightly raised, patch up job by Chewie & Lando?

Apparently MF has a new rectangular dish. You can see it in the photo you posted, it is massive. I hated that radar dish on the Kenner Falcon back in '79, damn thing would not stay attached!

• Like 2

Be it rectangle or slightly half round radar dish the MF has changed since 10179 fuelling more hope that TLG will release a new version of UCS MF ! Like Bret said "have not's" will be hanging on to this. I m guessing at least new play-set version released half way through 2016.

I have bricklinked a 10179 and it is a beauty of a display piece.  I love it and it was worth every penny spent.

But do I believe Lego is going to come close to this again?  I highly, highly doubt it.  I mean, we are seeing pretty crazy prices for new sets now.  Look at the sandcrawler.  300 for just over 3000 pieces, and it's a lot of smaller pieces.  Even a rehash of 10179 would be in the upwards of $600.

Do I believe they will remake it? Yes, I believe they will, but I think it's going to stay in the $300 range and be around 3k-3.5k total pieces.  In my opinion it's a little underwhelming to get a smaller size set than the original.  Of course we could all be wrong, but I don't know.

Actually now that I think about it, there are those rumors of the Avengers Helicarrier that will be priced at $350.  So who knows.  Lego tends to throw odd curveballs from time to time.

• Like 1