Got DS 10188 instead of SSD 10221

thehornedrat

Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker here, prolific AFOL and collector since coming out of my Dark Ages last year.

So my issue is, I ordered the SSD a few days after I ordered the Sandcrawler, during the 'May the 4th be with you sale'.

Here in Australia, (And Europe), the sale started the weekend before as you know. So I ordered the SSD when I realized that the SSD may indeed sold out, which it did, (the SC and DS also sold out). The Sandcrawler arrived last week, and the DS arrived today.

Thats right! LEGO Shop at Home sent fulfilled wrong order! the lego Delivery note says SSD, so its obviously a packaging error, more likely from all the chaos of the sale.

So now I'd like some advice from this wonderful community. I'm considering keeping this new DS 10188, eventhough I already have another DS10188, so now I have the excuse to open my other one, whose box is rather dinged up. But still, it hurts a bit when they send the wrong thing as its ultimatley a waste of my time and its so heavy. This is the first time that this has happened to me.

1. Has this ever happened to anyone here before? Should I still make a fuss to customer service, so they can act on the feedback? I'm reluctant to return it, because its such a heavy package, and woud cost me a ton to mail it back anyway. Would Lego reimburse me for their mistake?

2. SInce I'm going to buy the SSD again, should I go to a proper store for one this time, so this mistake won't happen? or wait till it properly comes back in stock this time as its still saying:

• Out of stock, expected ship date 27 May 2014

And order it, say, one day after, so that it should be properly in stock, and they won't be as likely to repeat this mistake? I would be very annoyed if this happens again. I'm really keen to build this!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

edit: for spelling

Lego refunds returns. I had it twice that I received a damaged set. They refunded the shipping costs and sent me a new one once tey received the damaged set. I would keep the DS as well. Cause it is a pain to send it back. Treat yourself on an extra 12 May gift and order the SSD again.

Guest TabbyBoy

10221 will far outperform the 10188 I think as the 10188 is just an inaccurate not-to-scale toy rather than a proper model.  I don't intend to get a 10188.  If you don't agree with me, I'm leaving the 10188 on the shelf for you to buy! ;-)

I think the DS will do well once retired, it's a really fun build that has a ton of fun rooms, just pure LEGO fun. It's just such an iconic thing from Star Wars, and definitely one of the better SW sets, not the best in my opinion though, but it is a set that does not disappoint.

If it does retire anytime soon, my guess is 2015-2016. I think it will hit double retail the second year it's retired, possibly more.

Actually while I love the SSD on resale and being gone most likely, I agree, when and if the DS goes, I think it will have better long term potential (if they do not make another one any time soon).  So I have some SSD's, but am planning to amp up on the DS's further when the time draws nearer...  The reality is that on the SSD, while it is great, how many people have room to have it assembled and in place (and I am not talking about brickpicker members here) I am talking about average American's in Apartments, Homes, etc.  Most don't have room for an SSD assembled, but most everyone would have room for a Death Star.  I am not being negative on the SSD, I am being more upbeat on the DS (long term).  Be kind if you disagree.

Actually while I love the SSD on resale and being gone most likely, I agree, when and if the DS goes, I think it will have better long term potential (if they do not make another one any time soon).  So I have some SSD's, but am planning to amp up on the DS's further when the time draws nearer...  The reality is that on the SSD, while it is great, how many people have room to have it assembled and in place (and I am not talking about brickpicker members here) I am talking about average American's in Apartments, Homes, etc.  Most don't have room for an SSD assembled, but most everyone would have room for a Death Star.  I am not being negative on the SSD, I am being more upbeat on the DS (long term).  Be kind if you disagree.

Interesting point, but the way I see it is that if a person plans to spend $400 (and much much more once it retires) on a ssd then they probably have a place to display it planned out ahead of time. I don't think anyone purchasing a 10179 at current market prices plans on just stuffing it into the back of their closet. When that kind of coin is being thrown around, those sets will be displayed 99% of the time. Just a hunch.

I think there is general perception that if things get to the status of "displayable work of art", then profit-wise, you can expect more money out of it. I.e. besides resellers/investors, i doubt there are many people who buy MF 10179 as something to play with. They buy it as a piece of art (or as status symbol, or as coveted piece of collection), which command higher prices. It is actually a good thing that SSD is so big - it means that people who would be interested in buying it will have big luxury homes to set it up, hopefully having significantly more money than average american to throw at that thing. I.e. you really want SSD to reach such a price point where it becomes a thing for "select few". DS seems to have too much of a toy aspect. Though from the collector point of view, it probably does not matter. I just can't imagine rich non-collector type to buy DS for multiple of MSRP. With SSD I can see that happen, just because of the size 

Both are going to do well. The DS is the best play set they've ever designed, and the SSD is one of the best display sets they've ever designed. There will be plenty of demand for both.

But the SSD will almost certainly retire first, so my opinion is to ask them to correct the mistake. As others have pointed out, Lego will cover the cost to return it, and you could even send them the damaged one so that you get an SSD and an undamaged DS for your collection! 

Both are going to do well. The DS is the best play set they've ever designed, and the SSD is one of the best display sets they've ever designed. There will be plenty of demand for both.

But the SSD will almost certainly retire first, so my opinion is to ask them to correct the mistake. As others have pointed out, Lego will cover the cost to return it, and you could even send them the damaged one so that you get an SSD and an undamaged DS for your collection! 

Yeah, I am sure they saved some numbered first run sets reserved for future contest prizes . Hint them that they owe you one :-)