Short-term Flipping?

I've been eyeing some sets and some are 20-30% off right now. I have never done a short-term flip or handled large amount of product--I am extremely hesitant. Anyone would be insane to pass up this! I was amazed to find that the minifigs are worth nearly as much as the discounted price! I am hesitant because I don't know if I am walking into a trap. I don't know if I will be able to get rid of them within the next few months. I do not intend to keep them long like my other options... The more secure route is to pick up a few Grand Emporium, Diagon Alley, and Medieval Market Village.

I've flipped a few sets, mostly where I had to buy two or more to get a good deal, or when I got the set as a promotion, this is all to reduce my cost of the set or sets I want. I wouldn't try flipping a set unless you can get it for half of what the going price is on eBay, but remember prices are higher leading up to the Holiday season and will now generally be headed lower unless it is a retired set. So, as you look at eBay prices keep in mind they are probably going lower. There are other exceptions, for the last week every time I have sold a Limited Edition Holiday Set I have raised the price for the remaining sets by $1 to $2 as there are now a lot less of these sets for sale and mine are still selling. eBay and Paypal fees will cut into your profit by roughly 12% to 20% depending on whether the value is high or low.

I've flipped a few sets, mostly where I had to buy two or more to get a good deal, or when I got the set as a promotion, this is all to reduce my cost of the set or sets I want.

I wouldn't try flipping a set unless you can get it for half of what the going price is on eBay, but remember prices are higher leading up to the Holiday season and will now generally be headed lower unless it is a retired set. So, as you look at eBay prices keep in mind they are probably going lower. There are other exceptions, for the last week every time I have sold a Limited Edition Holiday Set I have raised the price for the remaining sets by $1 to $2 as there are now a lot less of these sets for sale and mine are still selling.

eBay and Paypal fees will cut into your profit by roughly 12% to 20% depending on whether the value is high or low.

Yes, prices of LEGO sets head lower in January, then slowly rebound.

Yes, prices of LEGO sets head lower in January, then slowly rebound.

As you've said the prices do get lower with sales after Christmas. The key is holding, again as Ed said, until they rise again. Another factor is the after Thanksgiving sales, buying in prep for the Christmas boom. This is what we did this year and were able to sell every last set by the 17th.

I don't know if every year is like this year, where they're basically sold out of everything. Does anyone else have this history?

Anyway, our plan is to keep prices at where they should be and not dump them just to get rid of them. As has been said in many forums, be patient and wait for sales. Now, this also goes with the flip side of the equation, be patient with your sales as well. Eventually the right buyer will come across and buy your set, especially if you're willing to sell worldwide. Just make sure to properly package it to ensure no damage and be fair about shipping costs. That way they at least feel like it was worth going through you instead of ordering a broken box from Walmart. Also, eventually Christmas will come back and everyone will return to their ravenous LEGO fiend selves.