Selling Lego a part time job?

as the most of you know, it is actually a part time job. If you do much enough annual turnover and enough profit, you can do it as a full time job. Actually (from my own experiences) you need round about 100.000 turnover to pay your normal taxes, insurance, family, cars, etc. Maybe less than 100.000 if you gain enough profit.

• 1 month later...

I'm new to this game too. I'm more looking to reduce the cost of this expensive hobby than make huge profits (which I wouldn't complain about either). I am also a family man with a full time job looking to do this part time. Other than Craigslist, are there any other recommendations on where to sell your lego? Also any recommendations on quick flips and long term sets?

I'm new to this game too. I'm more looking to reduce the cost of this expensive hobby than make huge profits (which I wouldn't complain about either). I am also a family man with a full time job looking to do this part time. Other than Craigslist, are there any other recommendations on where to sell your lego? Also any recommendations on quick flips and long term sets?

Where to sell in general? Brick Classifieds.

Long term, I'd go for BrickLink, short term/quick flip go for eBay.

BrickLink will probably get a better return, on eBay, inventory moves faster.

Sell full time .. you can thank me later.

What kind of inventory numbers do you have to keep the wheels turning?

Do you combine the many aspects of profitable Lego selling:  Bulk Lots, Parting out new sets, flipping and typical buy and hold resale?

I would suspect if your initial inventory is substantial enough to grow while returning enough to pay your current wage then yeah it is worth it.

I don't think my inventory is quite there yet. 

Based on my own rudamentary calculations I am about a year or more out before the Lego machine becomes self sustaining.

By that I mean the inventory grows/appreciates enought to return a living wage while continuing to expand in value.

If this gets big enough to switch to a full time business (I am close) I will need better books to keep track of all the additional expenses for deductions minimizing Taxation as much as law allows.

• 1 month later...

If this gets big enough to switch to a full time business (I am close) I will need better books to keep track of all the additional expenses for deductions minimizing Taxation as much as law allows.

Just keep in mind if you sell on ebay or amazon you are a guest in their sandbox and they can axe you at any time for any reason they wish. Always have a backup plan.

Guest TabbyBoy

Word of mouth as helped me shift over 1000 since Easter. I have a school nearby and a resident's association that spreads the word for me. I'll be done with Lego "investing" by the end of this year and will just work on my personal collection as I still love the product. Too much work for meagre reward and it's no longer worth my while. What sets give me buyer's remorse? All of them if I'm brutally honest! I make far more selling bike components as buyers don't care if the box has a tiny scratch or not.