My Investment - Tell me your opinions!

Hi Everyone, 

First time poster and a very new investor here. For a while now, I've been considering some sort of side business, or investment and not long ago, I made the decision to invest into Lego. I made this decision for a few reasons, but the main one was that collecting is my passion and I wanted this side business to have something to do with my lifestyle so that I could never get bored of it, and would always be excited invest my time and money into it. I'm a huge fan of collecting and I love all things geeky and Sci-Fi, so Lego was the perfect idea for me.

Anyway, I made this thread for two reasons, firstly to introduce myself, which I've now done, and secondly, to seek opinions and feedback on my investments so far. Since making this decision to invest into Lego (which was only about 3 weeks ago from today), I've already invested just over AU$3.5k into it. I cleared up to AU$10k of capital with the wife for Lego investment, which I intend to spread over the rest of the year.

The list below is all my purchases to date, now before you look, please know that I live in Australia and Lego here is horridly more expensive here compared to the US. The prices I paid below were the cheapest I were able to source at this time.

Here's my list of investments so far, all purchases listed in AUD.

LOTR Battle at the Black Gate 79007 $58.00

Star Wars Death Star 10188 $520.00

Star Wars Death Star 10188 $540.18

Star Wars Death Star 10188 $540.18

Star Wars R2D2 UCS 10225 $240.38

Star Wars R2D2 UCS 10225 $240.00

Star Wars R2D2 UCS 10225 $240.38

Star Wars Super Star Destroyer 10221 $532.04

Star Wars Super Star Destroyer 10221 $532.04

Super Heroes Batman The Riddler Chase 76012 $39.99

Super Heroes Captain America vs Hydra 76017 $31.99

Super Heroes Captain America vs Hydra 76017 $31.99

Super Heroes Hulk Smash Lab 76018 $55.99

Super Heroes The Bat vs Bane Tumbler Chase 76001 $55.99

Super Heroes The Bat vs Bane Tumbler Chase 76001 $55.99

Super Heroes The Bat vs Bane Tumbler Chase 76001 $49.00

Super Heroes The Bat vs Bane Tumbler Chase 76001 $49.00

Monster Fighters Vampyre Castle 9468 $109.00

Monster Fighters Vampyre Castle 9468 $109.00

Your feedback is most welcomed, I suppose what I'm after is what you guys think of my investment decisions, namely, the sets I bought and the prices I paid for them. Do you think these sets would net me a good return? Would you have made different choices, and if so, then why?

Opinions/criticisms most welcomed :)

Thank you for reading!

Buy very carefully, you've gone through a 1/3 of your capitol, it's not too hard to go through money with Lego. Examine every choice your thinking about. Are you a "flipper"/short term or a long term gain. From what you have so far, sounds like a long term. Don't be too jumpy to buy something, wait, research, then invest.

No more Death Stars, they will be around when your kids start collage. READ many of the posts on this site and other Lego sites. Check LS@**** at least once a week, E-BAY, Walmart, and then invest!

Yep, watch for sales. The R2D2s, SSDs, and VCs were nice grabs as they are older, larger, more exclusive sets and aren't discounted heavily. But although I like the rest of the sets you picked you probably could find them on sale over the next couple years since most are new and available lots of places. That 6 grand will go fast, patience is the key.

Thanks for the replies!

I realised my list was probably unnecessarily to long, but I can't seem to find the edit function to edit my post.

Yep, I am in Australia and I agree, I think I need to settle down a little.

One of the Death Star's I bought from eBay turned out to be a failed purchase (seller will refund the Cash), I plan to transfer the funds to another SSD, so that will make 2x Death Stars and 3x SSD's.

I am eye balling the modulars for my next purchase, the GE's are pretty impossible to find here in AU, unless you're willing to pay a inflated price. I think I missed the boat already.

Guest TabbyBoy

I see you've stayed away from the CITY theme, I wish I did.  I think it's a little early to buy 76017, 76012, 76018 & 10225 yet unless they are at a massive discount. The 9468 just won't seem to go away so you may have been early on that too.  However, a much wiser choice than my first purchases.  Not knowing about this site cost me

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey iguana, first time poster here too! I also live in australia and am thinking of investing in lego. I also totally agree about investing in something you have an interest in!

Sorry for being off topic, but does anyone know if it is much of a disadvantage being in australia in terms of investing in lego? Or is it all relative?