Pick-a-Brick Prices Going Up

legodad

...I was checking out what's new at my local Lego Store yesterday and decided to fill a small cup from the Pick-a-Brick wall... an employee saw me and said that yesterday was the last day for the "old" price for both small and large cups... starting today, the price of both cups would have gone up... how much, I didn't ask as I scrambled to fill several more cups... no wonder (first time I saw it), a couple other employees were emptying out some slots for "new" parts...

...can someone confirm this?... if so, is the price increase just for stores in the US or all over?...

What makes me more curious is why you didn`t think to ask? Not trying to be a tool, but just seems like something you`de (generally) do in response. Honestly I don`t know if the prices are going up, though it doesn`t surprise me. They`ve stayed the same for years and in terms of inflation/market prices and increase is probably overdue. Interesting to see if it is true.

What makes me more curious is why you didn`t think to ask? Not trying to be a tool, but just seems like something you`de (generally) do in response. Honestly I don`t know if the prices are going up, though it doesn`t surprise me. They`ve stayed the same for years and in terms of inflation/market prices and increase is probably overdue. Interesting to see if it is true.

...a logical question... in my experience, asking questions usually results in getting the correct (or right) answer 50% of the time... rather than spend time conversing with the store employee, I opted my valuable time is well spent in filling up more cups than what I expected to before finding out of the price increase... if it's true, then I saved some $$$ and if not, well- let's just say I made a "generous" donation to the store...  :shifty:

...a logical question... in my experience, asking questions usually results in getting the correct (or right) answer 50% of the time... rather than spend time conversing with the store employee, I opted my valuable time is well spent in filling up more cups than what I expected to before finding out of the price increase... if it's true, then I saved some $$$ and if not, well- let's just say I made a "generous" donation to the store...  :shifty:

Fair enough! :thumbsup:

Prices are up $1.00 on each size cup, I believe. Boxes of elements have gone up to $100 (from $75) but I think they aren't allowing full box purchases right now.

Interesting! I wonder if the Canadian stores have done the same thing.

The price of the Pick-a-Brick cups going up is the same reason behind the increase for the Collectable Minifigures....because Lego can. Also, people left and right have figured out the best ways for getting the most out of a cup or in a sense 'beating the system' so now we have to pay for it. Adding to the conspiracy pile, they could be trying to make things more difficult for those who sell parts on BrickLink or eBay just as well.

Ah Lego, all the things you do to combat resellers....will only serve in pissing off loyal customers.

The price of the Pick-a-Brick cups going up is the same reason behind the increase for the Collectable Minifigures....because Lego can. Also, people left and right have figured out the best ways for getting the most out of a cup or in a sense 'beating the system' so now we have to pay for it. Adding to the conspiracy pile, they could be trying to make things more difficult for those who sell parts on BrickLink or eBay just as well.

Ah Lego, all the things you do to combat resellers....will only serve in pissing off loyal customers.

Exactly what I've noticed. If you look at the 2012 SW sets, there were extremely high prices for some sets, such as Jabba's Palace, Palpatine's Aresst, Gungan Sub, ect, were a good 10-20 more dollars(considering new molds and such) than they should have been. And even Jabba's Sail Barge from 2013, glad I got in on Yoyo.com for 75.99, much better price. And now while I don't mind paying more aslong as there's a reason to it, but it simply wasn't worth in some cases. Glad to see the Mos Eisley Cantina being a 70 dollar set instead of a 90-100 dollar set, but again, it's sad to say, but as the Cantina means so much to me, first LEGO set and all, I would have payed the 100 if it was, and that just puts me in 'the problem' group to an extent.

I did hear somewhere that they are going to do this by weight as from 01JAN 2015.

Oh god. Guess I'm not supporting LEGO PAB any more! Atleast until that takes affect. Just good old Bricklink for me. Rather support the fans than the company if they keep doing things like this to their fans.

That's too bad.  I do wish they would just sell the cups outright because I enjoy them for storage.  I don't do pick a brick as much anymore just because for as good as the sales have been it's more cost effective to buy sets for resale.  I enjoy the pick a brick though if they have a part I'm into, like the textured brick pieces.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh god. Guess I'm not supporting LEGO PAB any more! Atleast until that takes affect. Just good old Bricklink for me. Rather support the fans than the company if they keep doing things like this to their fans.

Why is that a bad thing???

Seems like a much fairer way to charge. 

In fact, its silly when people complain about high price per part ratios and dont take into account things like new molds (Jabba the hutt & the Rancor) or really large heavy pieces (pirate ship hulls, Super Star destroyer) when accounting for value in a lego set.

Well, it all depends on selection, right? No new parts added, then the price increase is just charging more to charge more. But... As reported we are getting some types of new parts, so possibly these are rarer parts making it to the PAB wall? Time will tell all...

My local PAB has MUCH cooler, rarer pieces lately. An extra $1 per cup is totally justified based on what i've seen thus far.

If i'm just buying a ton of 2x4's in basic colors, then it wouldn't be, but i'm impressed.

Why is that a bad thing???

Seems like a much fairer way to charge. 

In fact, its silly when people complain about high price per part ratios and dont take into account things like new molds (Jabba the hutt & the Rancor) or really large heavy pieces (pirate ship hulls, Super Star destroyer) when accounting for value in a lego set.

That is why I use Price Per Gram when deciding which set has a better value in terms of pieces and weight.

My local PAB has MUCH cooler, rarer pieces lately. An extra $1 per cup is totally justified based on what i've seen thus far.

If i'm just buying a ton of 2x4's in basic colors, then it wouldn't be, but i'm impressed.

I haven't seen a lot of cool pieces in my local lego store. I hope they start getting some, because the extra $1 is not worth it just to get some 2x4's.

@ Brick Broker - thanks for confirming that there are new parts being offered which justify the $1 increase per cup. I haven't been to my local store since I was told about it, so I'm also curious about it...

Glad to hear that! Want to visit the LEGO store during October's triple VIP to get the new 60052... :drool: I'll also get a couple PAB aswell.

Stupid investors making the price of pick a brick cups go up. It's called "investorflation".

Pretty sure investors have nothing to do with the price increase ... if I owned a company and my product was flying off the shelves why not increase the price? Its good idea to think before you post these kinds of troll comments -_-

Pretty sure investors have nothing to do with the price increase ... if I owned a company and my product was flying off the shelves why not increase the price? Its good idea to think before you post these kinds of troll comments -_-

I try and try but I just can't get the troll icon like you.

• Like 1

That is why I use Price Per Gram when deciding which set has a better value in terms of pieces and weight.

I haven't seen a lot of cool pieces in my local lego store. I hope they start getting some, because the extra $1 is not worth it just to get some 2x4's.

@ Brick Broker - thanks for confirming that there are new parts being offered which justify the $1 increase per cup. I haven't been to my local store since I was told about it, so I'm also curious about it...

Sure thing. Further they had 'advertising' around certain wall buckets that said things like NEW or Goes Great with CITY or SPACE.

Very cool stuff. Cockpit windows, propellers and blades, lots of stuff i've never seen before.

Stupid investors making the price of pick a brick cups go up. It's called "investorflation".

An even better idea would be learning to recognize sarcasm.

LEGO is expensive. LEGO has always been expensive. LEGO will always be expensive. Those of you with large collections can thank LEGO for increasing the value of your collection with the price increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Agreed.  Lego bumps their prices, people who bought pieces at lower prices just received a return on their investment right there.  Booyah.