What will you do when you run out of space?

No problem!  :queen:  Seriously, though, what will you do once you have children and less space? If you actually make money investing in and selling LEGO, which I assume is the goal, you may find that off-site storage is a good deal for you down the road.

I suspect the children will have their own way of taking care of the storage issue, most likely by opening all the NISB lego. Anything is possible down the road but I doubt that off site storage will ever be viable for me just because I don't see myself selling that much.

I think a lot of this has to do with where you live in the country, many areas don't have basements, to get a basement in such an area is definite expense. In our area, basements come with every house and people have a lot more cheap storage space. Basically, its sitting there, unused so why not do store lego. Also, due to the way the builder made our home (poorly) we are stuck with a pretty large area that is not able to finished by code. 

For investments I'll be running out of money long before running out of space.  There's always a spare cupboard or under the bed etc spot to stash stuff away in.

For displayed collection, I'm pretty much at capacity now.  A new set has to be "better" than an older one for me to replace it.

Investment: I don't think that I will ever run out of space. All the money would be gone first before the space runs out. If the money isn't gone first, I would probably sell some sets to make more room.

Collection: I already ran out of space for my collection, so I would either sell some sets that I don't like a lot or take some apart and put them somewhere else.

Me and my family are actually moving to a bigger house at the end of this year. Not only for the lego business, but also due to our second baby who will be born in May. I am really looking forward to move to the new house so I can centralize my collection of 140 sets in one big room in the basement. And rebuild my city again and expand it with more 12v train track and more modulars. So I can enjoy this wonderful hobby with my son when he is a bit older. When that is all done I can post pictures of my stack/storage room finally. Now it is all scattered around the house.

I suspect the children will have their own way of taking care of the storage issue, most likely by opening all the NISB lego. Anything is possible down the road but I doubt that off site storage will ever be viable for me just because I don't see myself selling that much.

I think a lot of this has to do with where you live in the country, many areas don't have basements, to get a basement in such an area is definite expense. In our area, basements come with every house and people have a lot more cheap storage space. Basically, its sitting there, unused so why not do store lego. Also, due to the way the builder made our home (poorly) we are stuck with a pretty large area that is not able to finished by code.

I was in your shoes 5 years ago. Big house. Extra space. Everything was clean and in order. Then we had our son Max "Destruction" and now we have rooms filled with crap and toys. You never have enough space.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I would never do a storage unit. I like displaying my collection.

If you are displaying models you built you either get more shelves or take some apart and put in storage, add them to your loose peice collection or sell them, especially the older ones which can fetch a healthy profit to help you buy new sets.