Pick A Brick

Dark Helmet

So I got two pick-a-brick promo boxes and I was wondering what everyone's ideas were to maximize my profits.  Any bricks I need to get?  Any ideas will help.

Thanks in advance

If you can find mason bricks at your local PAB wall, than get those.  Grass/tree/leaf pieces also sell very well.

In general, go for the smaller pieces, and I'd take advantage of the 90 degree sides of the box to fill it with plates or bricks. I wrote a PAB (on cups, but you nonetheless might find it helpful) article awhile ago: http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-242-pick-a-brick-cups-can-you-pack-an-investing-punch/

I remember reading that article.  That was really fascinating.  Thanks for taking the time to write it!

• Like 1

So I got two pick-a-brick promo boxes and I was wondering what everyone's ideas were to maximize my profits.  Any bricks I need to get?  Any ideas will help.

Thanks in advance

The PAB wall varies for each Lego store. I look for the unusual pieces that I do not see a lot of. And as other people said, the smaller pieces are great too.

Thanks for all the help. I have a lot to fit into that little box. Have you guys seen it? If not I will post a picture of it when I get home. It's very small but hey, free is free.

I have one of these boxes. I honestly thought that it would be somewhat larger but I guess not. I will see how much I can put in the box on December 26th.

I like to max out on tiles when they have them.  My store has not had them in months, but I do get a few plates and then max out on 2x1s and 1x1s of rare colors.  I also like to get tire sets if I am building something vehicular at home.  The red 1x1 plates are great filler, too.

Sadly, the minifig pick bin is separate from the pick a brick wall. Otherwise, a fine plan! Although I still like DNIM's idea of balancing a modular or Death Star on top of one and taking that up to the cashier...

Now thats the best idea I have seen on here. I don't think the store would notice...

Speaking of the minifig bin. I was at the store yesterday and this little girl was going all Godzilla on the bin. Minifig heads were rolling all around the store. It was pretty funny

Guest eightbrick

I know, thats why I have shifty eyes  :shifty:

Haha, I remember once some dad tried to do that. I bought he thought he was getting a great deal packing like 30 figures that sell for 3/12.99 into a cup... until one of the employees smashed his dreams... :lol:

• 3 months later...

I have done several orders. It is expensive from a Brinklink point of view, but it is nice to know that the pieces are brand new.

I only use VIP points to buy pick a brick and when they offer free shipping for members.

You can also order from the missing parts section. You tally up a list from sets you search from, submit and you will get an email back with prices. These are parts not normally in pick a brick and come from Denmark. This is not cost effective though. The quote is generally high.

I have only ordered from PAB a couple times, but overall it went well enough.  My primary complaint is that it tooks a very long time by today's standards.  I will admit, when I order something, I get impatient and want it "now," but anytime you order from Lego, it seems to take a little longer.  My typical wait time for regular LEGO Shop at Home orders is about 10 days.  When Amazon can get me the same stuff in 2 days, 10 days feels too long...

The nice thing about PAB though, is that if you search enough, you will find prices on certain things that beat even the lowest Bricklink price.  One example (and it may have changed by now) is the 1x6x5 clear "glass" wall panel.  I grabbed a bunch of them from PAB for $0.50 each, and the cheapest on Bricklink at the time was closer to $0.80 for a new one from a U.S. buyer.

That's the long and the short of it for my PAB experiences.  Good selection, but long delivery times.

If you need large quantities it may be worth checking. Out of curiosity I looked up an 8 cent part on bricklink last week that was 64 cents from PAB. Last time I ordered they messed up, wrong pieces in one lot and didnt ship another lot, order was 6 lots 120 total pieces. CS is great but 3 weeks to get the order and 3 more to get the correct pieces.

Quite a few times I have ordered $100.00 worth of bricks for various projects with the kids.  We purchased the Seaside house, but it was too small, so I ordered 200 of the blue 4x1 bricks to make a larger one.  After that, I was addicted.  I purchased $50.00 worth of wheels and tires, hundreds of translucent blue and red bricks.  Then when the Minecraft set came out, and I was not satisfied with the size, I order many tiles to make the area larger.  Each time, the shipping took longer than 10 days, and the order took about 5 days to actually ship.  So a little more than 2 weeks to get the order, which is frustrating.  

I'd like to buy a few thousand black pieces to make a big skyscraper, but I have not decided which one to build, so I don't really know if I will want black or not.  Soon, though, I will be spending another $200+, which isn't really a lot, if you consider you can build a specific custom project.  Once you start checking off which ones you want and adding them to your bag, it is a little addicting.

Guest eightbrick

Before I used Bricklink I bought from PAB online once to get some pieces not available on the wall. The shipping will definitely take awhile, especially if you are out west. My package came all the way from Poland so I guess their center is there or something... took two or three weeks. Nothing is below ten cents so Bricklink can save you a lot of money in some cases, as well as the PAB wall for regular bricks. There are some good Canadian Bricklink stores out there if you want to investigate that option as well.