Specific model of a Collector's Series X-Wing?

forkmaster

Question

I've had this for over a decade, probably close to 15 years now. I don't actually remember how I got it, because I was really young and it was a gift. It's a big X-Wing, says it's from the "Ultimate Collector Series." Here's the twist--it's in a case, and cut in half. The left half of the X-Wing is made of actual physical Legos, and the right half is represented by a big mirror. (Some of my pictures are a bit awkwardly angled for that reason, didn't want visuals of half my room floating about the internet...)

My main question is why? What is this? The actual Ultimate Collector X-Wing seems rare enough as is, I can't even find any info on this thing. Anyone know?

Pardon the dust. 

GtdlTlk.jpg

eCPa2co.jpg

F8fNikl.jpg

JnwuJ0R.jpg

6 answers to this question

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Probably a promotial piece and the mirror effect was used to cut down on the display size, as to not stick out to far on the shelf. Still pretty sweet

Lego actually did the unthinkable with cutting the build in half and then stuck it to a mirror as a way of minimizing used shelf space. The mirror as you can tell was a gimmick to make it seem whole as well as floating in air. Even so the worth for this unique display should be worth a pretty penny.

You have half of this X-wing and a mirror:  http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=7191-1

Because this was made for a display case, LEGO probably decided to cut the thing in half and make twice as many display cases for half the money.  Your X-wing is indeed the 7191 UCS X-wing.  It was released in 2000 and the whole thing new is worth about $850 dollars.