Tired and Frustrated with Shipping? - Let me share a story

Which label printer do you have?

I also turned off my phone notifications.  They got annoying fast.

If I find myself getting bogged down with too many orders, I raise prices so either people don't buy as much or I make more money.

Raising prices is a good one. I think there is a sweet spot for everyone per day. my limit is about 15.

My Label printer - http://www.amazon.com/DYMO-LABELWRITER-Printer-1752264-Software/dp/B0027JBLV4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395506942&sr=8-2&keywords=dymo+450&tag=brickpick-20

Its on a good sale today, worth a buy.

Labels - you just need 99019 Dymo compatible. 

Raising prices is a good one. I think there is a sweet spot for everyone per day. my limit is about 15.

My Label printer - http://www.amazon.com/DYMO-LABELWRITER-Printer-1752264-Software/dp/B0027JBLV4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395506942&sr=8-2&keywords=dymo+450&tag=brickpick-20

Its on a good sale today, worth a buy.

Labels - you just need 99019 Dymo compatible. 

Yes, raising prices works well (If it sells too quick - you priced it too low). I know when you first start selling, you want to make a lot of sales - so lower prices works great. But once you get more established and grow the business, there's no reason why you have to have the lowest price on everything.

Making as much money, as quick as possible - isn't always for the best. Remember, we are dealing with an item that will generally increase in value - so if you plan on continuing to do this, there really is no rush.

• Like 2

The "cha-ching" of the EBAY app is like music to my ears. I like hearing it all day everyday. I think one of the biggest stress factors is ROI (return on investment). If you aren't getting at least 50% return you are working and stressing for nothing. We aren't Walmart. Margins must be higher to survive. This is why so many people come and go out of the collectible/retail markets. They work themselves to the bone for what? 10%-30% ROI. Is it really worth it? I've said it multiple times: "If your money isn't working hard for you --- you will be working hard for your money"!!!!! Sing it like Donna Summer.

• Like 3

The "cha-ching" of the EBAY app is like music to my ears. I like hearing it all day everyday. I think one of the biggest stress factors is ROI (return on investment). If you aren't getting at least 50% return you are working and stressing for nothing. We aren't Walmart. Margins must be higher to survive. This is why so many people come and go out of the collectible/retail markets. They work themselves to the bone for what? 10%-30% ROI. Is it really worth it? I've said it multiple times: "If your money isn't working hard for you --- you will be working hard for your money"!!!!! Sing it like Donna Summer.

50% return even at discounted sets parted out is hard to do ( even harder when selling sealed sets) .. esp with all them fakes . More realistically you are making between 10-15% after all fees. So that cha-ching sound isnt much money you are making. Every $100 in net sales .. only about $10-$15 is really profit. Sad most people dont know how to calculate operating cost and expenses correctly on this forum .. they are prob making next to nothing and dont even realize it. lol

50% return even at discounted sets parted out is hard to do ( even harder when selling sealed sets) .. esp with all them fakes . More realistically you are making between 10-15% after all fees. So that cha-ching sound isnt much money you are making. Every $100 in net sales .. only about $10-$15 is really profit. Sad most people dont know how to calculate operating cost and expenses correctly on this forum .. they are prob making next to nothing and dont even realize it. lol

Actually, I do make a 50% return, at least, after all expenses and operating costs are accounted for. I lived through the sports cards days and learned the hard way. It is hard to do but you have to learn patience. Not everything is going to be a 41999 right off the bat (sorry I brought it up, please don't lock this thread). I don't buy at retail or 10% to 30% off because there isn't enough meat on the bone to make a decent profit. I don't sell cheap and I learned long ago not to waste my time unless I see $$$$$$. To each their own but I like to get compensated for my time.

• Like 4

Its to each their own - but I am more the type who calculates everything BEFORE a sale. I limit bad purchases, limit low ROI and then I don't calculate it afterwards. If you trust yourself doing it right, you will be fine.

This takes a lot of pressure off me. I saw what I made last year at tax time - it was about 28% ROI and I was happy with that. It will be much higher this year as I had a lot of loss last year.

I have to chime in, too.  I won't sell for less than 50% after fees/shipping/taxes, etc.  It isn't worth my time and I don't ship as much volume as others, and I don't need to flip money to re-invest (stupid other three jobs - plus being a parent).  Selling sealed sets has been much more lucrative (for me) than parting out, though I've tried both.  If I only only made $15 on average for a $100 sale I'd quit and get another job roofing in the summer with my brother-in-law.  That is a crappy profit margin.

• Like 1

Same with me...currently running a 55% ROI and still need to include some minifig lots. It all depends on your strategy and long term objectives.

Yeah - my parting out I only want to carry me until I have enough capital to do only sets. 

But you can't measure everything in ROI. Some of the reason I can sell sets for so much is my feedback rating, Seller ratings, etc. and the minifigs really help that. And it makes my store look badass.

For the LEGO, Minimum 3x gross or Minimum 2x net

(and then I pay taxes on the result, of course)

The book business is actually higher profit until I get to figuring in labor costs (paying myself and my staff), and then the LEGO slaps it around and makes it its prison "friend" - even part sorting, part filing, and part pulling, time consuming as those all are, pales in comparison to creating unique eBay listings for 600 or more book listings per month.

I don't know if any of my eBay friends here went from a OOAK to a multi-quantity business model, but I am pretty much ready to weep with joy that we're in the process of it.

For the LEGO, Minimum 3x gross or Minimum 2x net

(and then I pay taxes on the result, of course)

The book business is actually higher profit until I get to figuring in labor costs (paying myself and my staff), and then the LEGO slaps it around and makes it its prison "friend" - even part sorting, part filing, and part pulling, time consuming as those all are, pales in comparison to creating unique eBay listings for 600 or more book listings per month.

I don't know if any of my eBay friends here went from a OOAK to a multi-quantity business model, but I am pretty much ready to weep with joy that we're in the process of it.

How the heck are you gonna manage a 1M piece Bricklink store. I guess that is what scares me. lol. 

How do you calculate taxes on that?  Averaging I would assume?

We have a really, really good inventory system in place now - I created and scratched like four or five of them, between me and my oldest daughter and my husband that is, and now we're very happy with the speed and accuracy of filing and pulling orders (we're at about 56,000 parts now, so enough to be able to see that it works and is pretty much infinitely expandable).

And yes, we figure our retained inventory for taxes on average - we know what it costs us (on average) to buy each piece, we know how many pieces we have left in stock each Jan. 1, so it's actually a really simple calculation.

And 1 million parts is so last year's goal. Keep up! :money:  Now I want at least 3 million (biggest in the U.S.) and I'm eyeing 10 million (biggest in the world), but don't tell Mr. Frog about that second goal, he might follow through on his threat to have me locked up somewhere padded and put under medication and close observation.  :shifty:

• Like 5

I am not sure why people have such low % returns (other than if they are flippers). I have been at it for many years (which must help), & while I sometimes sell items that are currently available, I mostly look to sell only out of production LEGO (where the returns are much greater).

There is no doubt that the values on recently retired sets don't return the quick profits the way that they once did - I suppose that would also limit the returns for newer investors.

Actually, I do make a 50% return, at least, after all expenses and operating costs are accounted for. I lived through the sports cards days and learned the hard way. It is hard to do but you have to learn patience. Not everything is going to be a 41999 right off the bat (sorry I brought it up, please don't lock this thread). I don't buy at retail or 10% to 30% off because there isn't enough meat on the bone to make a decent profit. I don't sell cheap and I learned long ago not to waste my time unless I see $$$$$$. To each their own but I like to get compensated for my time.

lol try to make a living selling at 50% profits ( I do this fulltimr currently, making like $25k-$30k a month in net sales via ebay/bricklink/amazon, My profits is about 30% my total sales currently , which isnt bad not complaining) .. you prob raise your prices and get 5-10x less sales than someone who prices his items at a lower price. I rather sell 10 items at $3 profit and make $30 in a given timeframe than sell 1 item at a higher price for $6 dollar profit. Just saying.

In one year,

If I spend $250K, and earn a 20% ROI

-or-

If I spend $50K, and earn a 100% ROI

Both cases, I've devoted 1 year to earning $50K.

As you can see, ROI takes a back seat to net income earned per unit of time.

According to your logic .. all major outlets should downsize their store why buy up 5 million dollars of inventory in a store at 20% ROi .. why not downsize to 1/5 the size and only sell things that net 100% ROI? Its not as easy as it sounds .. I highly doubt you are netting 100% ROI on a 50k investment in only a year. Assuming 100% ROI you would have to be selling your items at 120% in order to cover fees, labor, shipping, ect .. If you are pulling that off .. thats amazing

if you could spend only 50k and net a 100% ROI on your initial investment of 50k and double that in ONLY a year .. you are a financial genius you should be dabbling in stocks not legos.