Target just sent me a letter...

smittypop2

To let me know they are pissed about my buying habits. To wit:

"We noticed that you recently used your Target Debit Card to make a purchase that might have been for business purposes. We wanted to remind you that your Target Debit Card Agreement with us states the card can only be used for "personal, family, or household use."

Please be sure to follow the conditions of that agreement. If we notice other unusual charges, we may need to investigate and possibly close your account.

We're glad you've been using your Target Debit Card and hope you'll continue to enjoy all of its benefits.

Sincerely,

Target"

Anyone else get anything similar? The funny thing is that I have spent 1000s upon 1000s with them in the past few years and only got the card because I was checking out one day with 3 carts full of clearance (and the employee knew I was a reseller/collector) and told me I should get it and save the 5%. I just don't get why I was randomly flagged all of the sudden. Is this same agreement in place for the regular red card? I would rather not mess with that and just keep my debit card. I guess I will have to call Target and see what the deal is.

I don't understand why they care so much about whether a purchase is for personal use for for a "business."  If I ran my own business, and used the target card to buy coffee filters and bottled water for my office, are they going to complain because these are for my business?

To let me know they are pissed about my buying habits. To wit:

"We noticed that you recently used your Target Debit Card to make a purchase that might have been for business purposes. We wanted to remind you that your Target Debit Card Agreement with us states the card can only be used for "personal, family, or household use."

Please be sure to follow the conditions of that agreement. If we notice other unusual charges, we may need to investigate and possibly close your account.

We're glad you've been using your Target Debit Card and hope you'll continue to enjoy all of its benefits.

Sincerely,

Target"

on a diff note:

honestly, i would get rid of the debt card option since it's linked to a bank account.  just go for the basic red card card version.

• Like 1

I am not really upset about it and am not trying to say I was hiding the fact that I was/am a reseller. I was not aware of this policy until today and have never heard of anyone else getting this. I have had this card for about 2.5 years and this is the first time they have "warned" me or whatever. I was just curious what anyone else thought of it or if these same rules applied to the regular Red CC?

Why direct this vitriol at me? I have been reselling things for 20ish years and am plenty under the radar. I don't buy 50+ sets at a time, I don't dump sets (or anything else) and I am pretty aware of how markets of all types work. I am not some pump and dumper or guy who loves to leave others holding the bag. I respect the markets and am not trying to bite the hand that feeds me. I spend a lot of money at target on Legos, Transformers, Barbies, Food, Diapers and tons of other stuff.

Why direct this vitriol at me? I have been reselling things for 20ish years and am plenty under the radar. I don't buy 50+ sets at a time, I don't dump sets (or anything else) and I am pretty aware of how markets of all types work. I am not some pump and dumper or guy who loves to leave others holding the bag. I respect the markets and am not trying to bite the hand that feeds me. I spend a lot of money at target on Legos, Transformers, Barbies, Food, Diapers and tons of other stuff.

I'm messaging you.

They do this to limit their liabilities and guard against people abusing their return system. They also don't want a business to get the 5%, or more if stacked with pharmacy rewards, off of purchases. If you've already gotten that letter you may want to lay off that card for a while, they will cancel it if you don't alter your spending pattern.

I'm not against it all I just wish people would stop making themselves so visible. Why buy 50+ sets of anything or purchase 1000s of dollars worth of sets at a time? All that is doing is messing up things for the smart buyers who stay under the radar. If the secondary market goes to crap these are the people to blame.

I wonder what they sent to darin after his MoM stock-up...  :-)

• Like 1

So...I joined the Target card holders club in 2012.  Bought many a lego set with it...mostly online as my local stores inventory drys up quickly.

I enjoy the 90 day return policy.  After I found some better deals in that 90 window I decided to return some sets back to the store.

Boy did I get a nice surprise.  Turns out Target policy on returns can favor those willing to wait. 

If you buy product online that is not offered in the store and return it to the store it gets immediately discounted.

Depending on the price point sets got discounted from 30%-90%.

It also depends on the clerk behind the counter.  If they are to return the stock back to the shelves they are not supposed to sell it back to you without it being restocked.

Well this clerk either didn't know it or didn't care.  I returned a substantial amount of lego on that trip and I walked away with nearly every set I brought back to return.

I saved $500.00 that day.  Since then they have requested the sets hits the shelves before I can repurchase.

Case in point.  I noticed TLG retiring Apple tree house.  I bought 5 at retail from Target...not long afterI bought them I found a sale.

So I took those back.  They got marked down to less than $10 each.

It is fraudulent to manipulate the system as such, but if you follow their policies and let those sets hit the shelves...it is wrong to repurchase?

So...I joined the Target card holders club in 2012.  Bought many a lego set with it...mostly online as my local stores inventory drys up quickly.

I enjoy the 90 day return policy.  After I found some better deals in that 90 window I decided to return some sets back to the store.

Boy did I get a nice surprise.  Turns out Target policy on returns can favor those willing to wait. 

If you buy product online that is not offered in the store and return it to the store it gets immediately discounted.

Depending on the price point sets got discounted from 30%-90%.

It also depends on the clerk behind the counter.  If they are to return the stock back to the shelves they are not supposed to sell it back to you without it being restocked.

Well this clerk either didn't know it or didn't care.  I returned a substantial amount of lego on that trip and I walked away with nearly every set I brought back to return.

I saved $500.00 that day.  Since then they have requested the sets hits the shelves before I can repurchase.

Case in point.  I noticed TLG retiring Apple tree house.  I bought 5 at retail from Target...not long afterI bought them I found a sale.

So I took those back.  They got marked down to less than $10 each.

It is fraudulent to manipulate the system as such, but if you follow their policies and let those sets hit the shelves...it is wrong to repurchase?

In theory, they could flag you down for abusing the return system, assuming they care enough to match your purchases with your returns and further purchases.

I got that letter about a year ago. I'm surprised they are still sending them out with their current situation, figured they'd be happy to get sales any way they can, but obviously it's against the T&C, so they can still enforce it if they so choose.

I wouldn't be surprised to get another letter after the recent sales they had...and I'm ok with that, I'll wear my scarlet R with pride.

I got this letter from Target: Dear Sir, Please quit buying our hot selling items and reselling them. Please purchase our crappy stuff like our up and up brand and resell those. We really could use the help after letting all your personal information get hacked. By the way, we are not sorry, sucker.

• Like 3

I got this letter from Target:Dear Sir,Please quit buying our hot selling items and reselling them. Please purchase our crappy stuff like our up and up brand and resell those. We really could use the help after letting all your personal information get hacked. By the way, we are not sorry, sucker.

Hey hey some of those Up and up things are pretty decent, better than Walmart's off brand things for sure.

Atleast Target has somewhat better physical security than my Wal-Mart... A guy had probably the full display case of series 11 CM, scanned a couple, put the rest in his bag and left! The heck!? He did get in trouble after I said something to a manager, but jeez, if I didn't do anything they would have just been taken. I've seen someone at Target attempting to steal some type of toy, not sure what it was, but he got immediately caught because of beepidtybeepbeepthings.