I just realized that my stupidity as a child is going to cost me a lot...

My parents threw away over $10k in baseball cards and managed to lose a box of first print Star Wars comics books, which are now worth a lot less than then were 15 years ago when they lost them, but, still....makes me angry thinking about it.  When they moved, I was out of town, and all my toys and collectables in the attic were lost or taken by a 'helper'.  They remembered throwing away the baseball cards, though.  "If they were so valuable, why did you leave them in the attic?" they asked me.  Grrrrr.  Luckily, I still have my coin collections and a few boxes of comics that managed to get through the move.  

I never had Lego as a kid, and I was jealous of my friends' cool sets.  I mostly had Star Wars figures, but they were ruined in various wars.  I wish I had kept some hand-me-down Micronauts I was given when I was 8.  The two big ones General Karza...and the other one were wonderful toys.  I plan on buying them again when I see a pristine set on Ebay for a good price.

Now that I am wiser, I am keeping my son and daughter's quality toys for them when they are older:  Lego, Thomas the Train, American Girl Doll, Transformers, Star Wars....and anything else I like playing with!

My parents threw away over $10k in baseball cards and managed to lose a box of first print Star Wars comics books, which are now worth a lot less than then were 15 years ago when they lost them, but, still....makes me angry thinking about it. When they moved, I was out of town, and all my toys and collectables in the attic were lost or taken by a 'helper'. They remembered throwing away the baseball cards, though. "If they were so valuable, why did you leave them in the attic?" they asked me. Grrrrr. Luckily, I still have my coin collections and a few boxes of comics that managed to get through the move.

I never had Lego as a kid, and I was jealous of my friends' cool sets. I mostly had Star Wars figures, but they were ruined in various wars. I wish I had kept some hand-me-down Micronauts I was given when I was 8. The two big ones General Karza...and the other one were wonderful toys. I plan on buying them again when I see a pristine set on Ebay for a good price.

Now that I am wiser, I am keeping my son and daughter's quality toys for them when they are older: Lego, Thomas the Train, American Girl Doll, Transformers, Star Wars....and anything else I like playing with!

That's the kind of **** that pisses me off. If it isn't your property, don't throw/give the stuff away! It isn't yours to do with whatever you please! Same kind of thing happened to me years ago, I had recieved a Gameboy Advance SP for my birthday, and my uncle stole my Gameboy Advance, completely defeating the purpose of even asking for a SP model to begin with as I had wanted my brother to own a console so we could trade our damn Pokemon, but nope, he kept it secret for a month until, for reasons I won't disclose here, jail, and my mother and I went over to get his dog, and low and behold, he had my GBA! We could tell due to my name being written on it... And again, this is why I hate this kind of crap! (Some) Family members think just because they're older than you, they can **** all over you.

• Like 1

I still have all of my old sets from my childhood and have since passed them on to my two kids. However, when I was eight or nine I decided to test out my new BB gun on my king's castle and it's inhabitants. I would line up all the figs along the castle and shoot them down. Of course, not every shot was a direct hit, so the walls of the castle all have round indentations from the bb's. Oh well. I had fun, but I have made sure to educate my kids on the value of their toys and how to properly take care of them.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Luckily my wifes family in Luxembourg, who apparently coyld afford quite a layout of LEGO trains in the early 80s simply stored them in the basement all these years. Took a C-17 flight over and loaded up.

My mom stateside did something with my star wars and she regrets it. Though i never mentuoned it. She just noted how i scour stores to get toys and make good $ on it.

I plan to keep all our current Thomas the Train and quality toys our kids have for grandkids.

• Like 1

I had a miserable childhood my parents never bought me lego as they were too poor and hard working. I did get a matchbox car but they gave that away to a friend as a recycled Christmas present. I am making up for that now with my expensive purchases in lego.

I spoil my daughter to death with lego

Luckily my parents had the foresight to keep all of my Lego for me, and never sold it off or donated it.  They even saved all of the original boxes, and stored the instructions in a filing cabinet.  I sold a lot of my old toys for pennies on the dollar (from what they're worth today) when I got into Magic: The Gathering to buy cards for that game.  They call it cardboard crack for a reason.  Never occurred to me at the time to sell Lego, and that's a good thing!

Several times since I moved out of the house during my 20's they tried to get me to take all of it with me.  I told them they should just save it in case grand kids come along so they have something to play with at their house.  I think I told them at one time to donate it all of it was taking up too much space.  I'm so glad they didn't now.  I'm married now, and have a newborn son.  I'm really glad I have all of my old Lego so that we can play together when he gets older.

Of course, things have come full circle and I just got done selling off my Magic collection in order to buy more Lego :thumbsup:

I didn't get rid of many of my sets from childhood... but i did take them all apart and put them in giant bins thinking that was the best way to store them... Would take an eternity to find and build them all again. Also a lot of my sets/pieces are severely sun damaged as they sat out in a room with lots of light for years. Just wish i took better care of them, but how would i have known at that age :(

It doesn't take that long.  All of my childhood lego was mixed together in a couple of big rubbermade bins.  Took about a week to sort through and build everything (working on it for several hours a night).  It was tedious but I had a ton of fun doing it, and it brought back a lot of good memories.

• Like 1

It doesn't take that long.  All of my childhood lego was mixed together in a couple of big rubbermade bins.  Took about a week to sort through and build everything (working on it for several hours a night).  It was tedious but I had a ton of fun doing it, and it brought back a lot of good memories.

I certainly plan to go through them at some point, pretty sure i have a few space/aqua sets hiding in there. That Aquazone(?) orange shark submarine was the best set ever when i was young.

I had actually forgotten about the big tubs of Lego and their whereabouts until my parents called me and asked if she could throw them out as they were cleaning the basement :frantics: I promptly drove to their house and picked them up haha ><

I certainly plan to go through them at some point, pretty sure i have a few space/aqua sets hiding in there. That Aquazone(?) orange shark submarine was the best set ever when i was young.

I had actually forgotten about the big tubs of Lego and their whereabouts until my parents called me and asked if she could throw them out as they were cleaning the basement :frantics: I promptly drove to their house and picked them up haha ><

I had mostly space and castle growing up, my brother was more into town.  He also got into aquazone for a bit, but I was pretty well into my dark age when that theme came out.

Seeing all of my space sets together brought back some great memories.  I never had them all built together in a scene like this when I was a kid, I always built the set and kept it together for a while, then took it apart and added the pieces to the bucket. I usually built giant spaceships, which is why I thought Benny's spaceship was particularly amusing in the movie.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=529319

• 3 weeks later...

I gave away my

Galaxy Explorer

2 seat space scooter

Mobile ground tracking station

Lunar plates

landing plates

Mobile Rocket Launcher

Command Center

One Man Space ship.

All original Classic Space...I got it for Xmas in 1979...Sears in Canada sold it as a special package at the time.

My kids are now giving me heck for giving it away in my teens, and say they'll never do that with their lego!!!

I gave away my

Galaxy Explorer

2 seat space scooter

Mobile ground tracking station

Lunar plates

landing plates

Mobile Rocket Launcher

Command Center

One Man Space ship.

All original Classic Space...I got it for Xmas in 1979...Sears in Canada sold it as a special package at the time.

My kids are now giving me heck for giving it away in my teens, and say they'll never do that with their lego!!!

Let's all have a moment of silence for these lost LEGO sets.

• 2 weeks later...

I would get a $5 - $20 dollar set every x-mas and birthday from my uncle, along with the ocasional small or larger set for a special occasion. I had also got a few from my parents over the years. My sister had 2 sets of legos and 3 of those pastel TYCO imitation block barrels.

When I was about 14, my father said I had to sell off most of my toys at a garage sale. He said I should keep a few things I would want for my future kids. I kept the Legos and lost the argument about my Transformers. He said I would never remember how they worked, so I ended up with the GI Joe stuff. In hindsight, he regrets that.

At 20 I moved out and left the legos packed in the attic. In a bin with no boxes but all of the instructions. I started buying lego again at around age 24 and knew that I would reunite with those old sets when I had a place for them.

Fast forward a bit, at age 28 I came looking for those sets, finding only a handful in a small box next to 3 full pastel TYCO barrels. I asked my mother where she may have moved the rest to. It turns out my sister, a preschool/kindergarten teacher had pillaged the box for her classroom. Needless to say, I lost it. We argued like we were kids again. I couldn't believe the audacity, and worse, she tried to claim all of the legos were "ours".

About a week later she shows up with a dismal looking bin of filthy, disorganized, broken bricks. At the bottom was a folder with a bunch of torn and ruined instruction manuals, less than half of the originals.  I have spent the last 3 years slowly gathering and piecing back together all of those old sets. Of all the things my sister has done in her life, this may be the one I never forgive her for.