OK, which one of y'all was this?

Migration

boggles the mind how greed or whatever can lead people to do neg things over and over again.  Even if you're desperate enough to steal...after a certain amount of cash don't they realize eventually they will be caught.  guess it's never enough for some.  Life long criminals it seem.  Millions worth of goods is crazy.  This wasn't 'white collar' crime either...takes work to physically steal, list and sell.  Guess they thought this was a hard way to make easy money.       

I saw this on the local news (Chicago) today. They showed pictures of this family's house and it was huge. Northbrook (where they lived) is also a very wealthy suburb. This perfectly illustrates that crime can happen everywhere and come from any tax bracket.

The skirt angle is a new one that I hadn't heard before - "bulky and lined with rectangular pockets". It's amazing to me that it took seeing a loss of sales on the balance sheet to expose the problem rather than a routine video surveilance check, especially if the perpetrators were using a diversion to accomplish their getaway. Shouldn't an episode like that trigger an immediate check of the surveilance video?

I saw this on the local news (Chicago) today. They showed pictures of this family's house and it was huge. Northbrook (where they lived) is also a very wealthy suburb. This perfectly illustrates that crime can happen everywhere and come from any tax bracket.

The skirt angle is a new one that I hadn't heard before - "bulky and lined with rectangular pockets". It's amazing to me that it took seeing a loss of sales on the balance sheet to expose the problem rather than a routine video surveilance check, especially if the perpetrators were using a diversion to accomplish their getaway. Shouldn't an episode like that trigger an immediate check of the surveilance video?

While this is an extreme example the highest $ amount of loss comes from 1) clerical errors, 2) internal theft ie. employees, 3) vendor theft, 4) external theft ie. customers. At least that's how it used to be, with all the online CC hacking of late the numbers may have shifted. It also takes a looong time to review video, and that's IF a loss prevention employee feels like messing with it. The reason this went on for so long is they hit stores all over the country, so not a single or a few stores in a single city.

Not a surprise. IIRC the person who faked UPC codes on LEGO boxes last year was some wealthy guy

Finally watched Wolf on Wall Street recently...kind of remains me about people who don't know when to quit.  Some criminals can just take off to another country with liquid cash and retire but I guess the allure of gettting more draws them back or they live for the thrill. 

Seems they're not very good covering their tracks. eBay search, fake name, paypal account. Prob took the Feds all of 10 minutes to figure that out.

It's also shameful that they got their own kid involved. She's an adult now but if they allegedly started a decade ago...

She is 34 now so she was already an adult when they started

Not to far from my house.  I should go see if they are having a Going out of Business yard sale  or a maybe a Going to Prison sale. 

That means you're close to the Northbrook Lego Store...for some reason I thought you were on the South Side closer to Orland Park?

Guest ph4tb0i

Was it just me or did anybody else just skimp through the article to see what they should be selling?

lego - check

american girl dolls - know about those but never tried. check

baby stuff - ok need to start scoping out baby's r us now.. 

My wife was collecting (and selling) American Girl stuff for 10 years before we had our first child (a girl).

The value in those dolls come from the "Girl of the Year," which is only available for a particular calendar year before retiring.  There are some accompanying playsets with those dolls.  For instance, a couple years ago, it was a doll from Hawaii, and there was a Shave Ice Stand for her, as well.

The stuff is bulky, though.  You need to have a lot of room if you're investing in that stuff.