Sales Tax Exemptions

I am actually fortunate in that my last few sales tax returns filed have had more tax due (from sales to customers in California) than I've paid out in purchasing LEGO. There's a line on the sales tax return allowing deduction of sales tax paid from the total owed, so I've been getting my "refunds" (really just reduction in the size of the check I send) through that.

On the other side of the equation, getting the exemptions has been going fine. I bought from two brick and mortar Kmarts over the weekend and though the customer service desks were mildly confused at first, consultation with the store managers in each case got it sorted out and I paid no tax. I have also made several Amazon purchases in the past week, after getting set up with them.

I have a ways to go - I haven't purchased anything from Walmart brick and mortars yet so don't know how my local stores deal with it, ditto Target, Toys R Us. And I have to get my paperwork scanned and emailed to target.com and walmart.com after going through their steps.

Still, it's nice that the only sales tax overpayment I'll be requesting back from the state next time is likely to be from Lego.com and Lego stores, that should keep it to a minimum.

• Like 1

Walmart b&m is actually very easy - first time setup requires a trip to CS where they issue you a unique PIN that is walmart specific (mine gave my a little ID card with my 4-digit #). Then when you purchase, you simply give the cashier your # BEFORE they ring you up and you're set! If you forget to give them the # before, they'll have to start the check-out over!

---Keep it secret. Keep it safe.---

• Like 1

I have a ways to go - I haven't purchased anything from Walmart brick and mortars yet so don't know how my local stores deal with it, ditto Target, Toys R Us. And I have to get my paperwork scanned and emailed to target.com and walmart.com after going through their steps.

Thanks for sharing your experience so far.  As for the online one for say Amazon, did you create a new account just for your business purchases from them or did you just keep using your regular account?  I was planning on just setting up a new separate account before submitting my seller's permit stuff to them.

Thanks for sharing your experience so far.  As for the online one for say Amazon, did you create a new account just for your business purchases from them or did you just keep using your regular account?  I was planning on just setting up a new separate account before submitting my seller's permit stuff to them.

Curious to know this as well. I know they frown on using prime shipping for commercial purposes.

• 2 months later...

Update: I've been happily adding to my posse of tax-exempt purchase locations as I go along and am now ready to get set up with Toys R Us.

Questions:

1. Has anyone applied for tax exempt sales through Toys R Us.com and/or in stores, and how are they about that? Do they get all over-wrought because you're a reseller or do they take it like a man and stay calm?

2. I did a brief Google search but didn't come up with a help page at TRU.com regarding sales tax exemption. Anyone know of any online info they give out?

(Next step will be to call them up, but I figured a little advance info on the lay of the land might be helpful. If they're just going to get their panties in a bunch like TLG it'd be nice to know.)

I just started the Walmart.com process a week or so ago (don't buy much there, so I was procrastinating). The lady on the phone told me to expect 5 to 8 weeks, though (I know, it's hilarious, Amazon.com had me set up in less than 24 hours).

Well its no surprise ... walmart ships their items via snail mail ... even kmart gets my items to me within 3-4 days .. walmart sometimes takes over 1 week+

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=genteelfrog

Randomly browsing for parts .. I found you :P

It's moving right along. Have about 10,000 parts sitting in our stockrooms ready to release as soon as we have them filed.  :thumbsup: 

Mr. Frog has a revised business plan for me to review this week, and it looks like I might be able to purchase our last books for resale at the end of this year, liquidate the books next year, and not have to deal with heavy freaking books anymore! I'm getting to be an old frog, LEGO is much lighter.

I just started the Walmart.com process a week or so ago (don't buy much there, so I was procrastinating). The lady on the phone told me to expect 5 to 8 weeks, though (I know, it's hilarious, Amazon.com had me set up in less than 24 hours).

Hi,

This must be new. When I checked with Walmart last June, they were not doing this. They said it must be done in stores.

It was easy with the other large online retailers.

Have a walmart.com link or phone number others like us can call?

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

Hi,

This must be new. When I checked with Walmart last June, they were not doing this. They said it must be done in stores.

It was easy with the other large online retailers.

Have a walmart.com link or phone number others like us can call?

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

The phone number is 1-800-966-6546 and the email address CS at the phone number gave me, to submit my tax exemption certificate, is [email protected]

Note: this is for Walmart.com purchases only, not for in store purchases. 

The phone number is 1-800-966-6546 and the email address CS at the phone number gave me, to submit my tax exemption certificate, is [email protected]

Note: this is for Walmart.com purchases only, not for in store purchases. 

That's the same email I sent my form in to.  I submitted mine April 8th.  I'll let anyone know when I get it.  

I don't shop at walmart.com much either, but when I do it is for exclusives that have a lot of tax.  I hope the tax refund process doesn't take this long.  For target.com, I submitted tax refund requests and had them approved in less than a week.

That's the same email I sent my form in to.  I submitted mine April 8th.  I'll let anyone know when I get it.  

I don't shop at walmart.com much either, but when I do it is for exclusives that have a lot of tax.  I hope the tax refund process doesn't take this long.  For target.com, I submitted tax refund requests and had them approved in less than a week.

Unless I'm mistaken (and I might be), Walmart.com should behave (after we're approved) the same as Amazon.com or Target.com - i.e, we won't pay any tax to start with, so there's no question of waiting on "reimbursement" from them. They could be like Kmart.com, though (which I haven't yet tried to mess with) and charge the tax up front and then you have to wait on the reimbursement.

Walmart.com approved my form in just a few days. However, they stated that I must email them after each purchase while it is processing in order to avoid being charged sales tax or have it refunded. They will not automatically take any sales tax off.

Walmart.com approved my form in just a few days. However, they stated that I must email them after each purchase while it is processing in order to avoid being charged sales tax or have it refunded. They will not automatically take any sales tax off.

This was my impression about walmart.com too.  I also hope to get the tax refunded on the purchases I have already made this year.

When I got my Target.com exemption in April, I submitted all of my taxable Lego purchases I made before I received the exemption, and they retroactively refunded the tax I paid.

TRU's process was brutal at least when I applied in June / July 2013. Nothing for online then. I need to fill out paperwork for each store visit.

Let me know if it changed.

I haven't hassled with it for any store.  I wasn't sure if it was worth the time.  I can see it being beneficial for large bulk purchases.  When you only buy a few sets at a time, it might not be worth the trouble.  If Amazon.com starts charging tax in my state, I'll sign up then for sure.

Guest betsy805

Just finished my first purchase with the tax exemption.  Fred Meyer (Kroger family)...it was totally pain free.  Have to fill out a form with my exemption # and address each time, but it can be done at any of the registers.  Anyone know if you can get a refund for sales tax if you paid in other stores (like lego store, where you don't want them to know you're a reseller)?

Just finished my first purchase with the tax exemption.  Fred Meyer (Kroger family)...it was totally pain free.  Have to fill out a form with my exemption # and address each time, but it can be done at any of the registers.  Anyone know if you can get a refund for sales tax if you paid in other stores (like lego store, where you don't want them to know you're a reseller)?

Not any way I know of - there are exemptions (depending on your state, I'm familiar with California) for resellers, for schools, and for non-profit organizations. I'm assuming LEGO wouldn't have problems with schools or non-profits but they're not going to be interested in selling to anyone producing a resale certificate.