Are people expecting to get these sold??

Hello everybody, I am fairly new on this forum and site. And I would like to share my theory on why some people list sets for to high prices. I can give my own example. When I want to sell a set I hold and I do not know its exact current value I will look the set up on brickpicker, ebay and/or amazon. I will look at what other sellers ask and then put mine for sale for a little less. So if someone bought set X for $ 100 two years ago. The current asking price on ebay for set X is say $ 250. If this someone asks $ 400. There is a good chance all the other sellers will slowly adjust their prices to $ 350 or $380 for set X. Then when this happens this someone lowers his price to $ 350 and sells it. BAM! $ 250 profit! This, for me, is a logic way to help increase the price of sets. Especially the older EOL sets. What I have seen is that the sellers have a big influence on the price of a set. Not the buyers. Again... this applies only to older EOL sets.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of the complaints here are for when a seller has the only item and then the list it for far above the "market" price. If they are the only ones selling it, they ARE the "market" there is nothing else to compare it to except past sales which are invalid comps. If I owned a one of a kind item, I would make it my duty to get every cent I could out of it since that is what I am here to do - make money. If anyone here makes money off a set by selling it, they are all the same, they are trying to generate profits, some are just better at it than others.