How to cut down on buying lots of LEGO for yourself

How can you cut down on the amount of money you spend on the hobby and, instead, using that money for LEGO investment?

I think that's one benefit of parting out sets. You can build the set if you want, and then sell it, and move on to the next build :)

• Like 1

It's like smoking...don't start

I built my batman scuba with penguin today... going to try and wait a few days before I build the helicopter with man-bat... see I f I can make the Riddler chase and joker steam roller last a couple of weeks.

I have admitted I have a problem though. All 4 sets have already been listed as "used" in my brickfolio.

Self control about sums it up. If you have convinced your self that you're investing then each time you open one and build it , take that requisit amount of money toss it in a trash can and light it on fire. That will cure your addiction. If you want to build something i suggest trackind down something used only. I am itching to build the death star. So i will probably start looking for a used one. My daughter would love that build, take our time nice and slow.

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought many LEGO sets within the past six months and you need to restrain yourself, that is all. Think about the bigger picture. Perhaps, flip a few sets to pay for your hobby, but business should come first!

My ex-girlfriend loves building them and when she comes over, she knows best to ask first if there are any sets she can build... I love SW and I have to limit which sets can be played and displayed, otherwise, I'd be broke. LOL

If you find a super awesome deal on sets you are interested in then take the plunge and treat yourself to one or find a great deal on used sets?

Pick a set every six months that you think needs a bit of expanding and then do that.  Take your time to think about what you want expand.  Use the set, extra LEGO around the house, PAB and other sets that you might only need one or two things from that you can then part out.  Last summer/fall I expanded on the Hobbit: Unexpected Journey, recreating the dwarf dinner scene, adding rooms and scenery.  I sold off the Hobbit sets that I only used a figure or two from.  Now, thru the summer I'm working on an expanded Batcave using the Batman sets.  This will be a little more expensive as I'm keeping a lot of the new figures (Nightwing, Tim Drake Robin, Damien Wayne Robin, Batgirl) and Bat vehicles......but I'll still sell off most of the villian mini-figs and vehicles.  As an added bonus, I'm also working on a Bat-tank to put in the Batcave.....'> ..... I think planning an involved MOC project (particularly if you already have a stockpile of loose LEGO) helps keep the "urges" down.

I have bought many LEGO sets within the past six months and you need to restrain yourself, that is all. Think about the bigger picture. Perhaps, flip a few sets to pay for your hobby, but business should come first!

My ex-girlfriend loves building them and when she comes over, she knows best to ask first if there are any sets she can build... I love SW and I have to limit which sets can be played and displayed, otherwise, I'd be broke. LOL

If you find a super awesome deal on sets you are interested in then take the plunge and treat yourself to one or find a great deal on used sets?

wait why is your ex touching your lego
  • Like 3